Biostatistician at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Clinical Epidemiologist at United BioSource Corporation
- Woburn, Massachusetts (Greater Boston Area)
Weixiu Luo's Overview
- Clinical Epidemiologist at United BioSource Corporation
- Biostatistician at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Graduate Consultant at Penn State Statistical Consulting Center
- Physician at Beijing Binhe Hospital
- Pennsylvania State University
- China Medical University
Weixiu Luo's Summary
I have been working in the field of clinical trials, pharmaceutical and healthcare research for seven years in US. I had almost one and a half years of experience as a Biostatistician in Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, working on all phases of clinical trials for Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG), clinical and laboratory studies for Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC) and Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) of Harvard Medical School. More recently, I have over five years of experience as a Clinical Epidemiologist in United BioSource Corporation (UBC), a global scientific and medical affairs organization, serving as Principle Investigator on clinical and healthcare research projects sponsored by pharmaceutical/biotech companies. In this position I worked extensively on Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) data analysis and literature reviews.
I obtained Master of Science degree in Statistics in Pennsylvania State University in 2004. Before that, I completed five-year training in Clinical Medicine, obtained my medical degree in China Medical University in 1997, and had been practicing internal medicine as a physician in China for three and a half years.
Weixiu Luo's Experience
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; Hospital & Health Care industry
January 2006 – May 2011 (5 years 5 months) Lexington, MA
I worked as a principal investigator on pharmaceutical and epidemiologic projects with specific expertise and focus in oncology-related projects for UBC’s Center for Epidemiology and Database Analytics (CEDA). The projects involved analyses of electronic medical records (EMRs) data or systematic literature review and meta-analysis to address research questions to inform and support decisions, strategies, and messages in drug development, regulatory and marketing.
1) For the projects involving analyses of EMR data, I defined clinical research questions with clients, looked into EMR database and assessed feasibility of a project, wrote protocol, designed table shells, performed logic and common sense check to queried data for validity and completeness, applied clinical expertise to standardize queried database, define data conventions and algorithms prior to data analysis (such as rules for identifying cancer diagnosis, cancer staging, comorbidities, algorithms for defining chemotherapy regimens and cycles in the longitudinal EMR database, etc.), interpreted and presented study results to clients, wrote project reports, prepared abstracts and posters for conferences, and wrote manuscripts for publications.
2) For systematic literature review projects, I defined clinical research questions, wrote protocol, designed data extraction forms (DEFs) and table shells, collected and screened publications for systematic review, extracted clinical information from published literatures, conducted consensus of extraction with other medical doctors, collaborated with statisticians on meta-analyses, interpreted and reported study results to clients, wrote project reports and manuscripts for publications.
Nonprofit; 1001-5000 employees; Hospital & Health Care industry
September 2004 – January 2006 (1 year 5 months)
I served as
1) Statistician at Statistical Center of Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) funded by NIH/NCI, working on all phases of ECOG clinical trials. Main responsibilities include providing study design and statistical considerations in protocol, collaborating with principle investigators and interacting with NCI in protocol development and activation, developing and reviewing case report forms, monitoring active studies (accrual, efficacy, toxicity, etc.), preparing biannual interim reports, DMC reports and grant progress report, working with data specialists to prepare data for analysis, writing programs in SAS, Splus/R or other languages as needed, performing data analysis and writing technical reports, preparing and reviewing manuscripts and meeting abstracts, assisting clinical investigators in use of ECOG database for research into natural history and patho-physiology;
2) Statistician at Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC), providing consultation and collaboration on all types of laboratory and clinical cancer studies, working closely with medical doctors and research scientists on study design, protocol development, data analysis and reporting, providing statistical input and assistance for publications;
3) Statistician at Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) of Harvard Medical School, providing statistical collaborations and consultation on HIV research studies.
Penn State Statistical Consulting Center
September 2003 – May 2004 (9 months) University Park, PA
1) providing statistical support for research projects for Penn State faculty, graduate students and non-university affiliated research organizations
2) instructing undergraduate students to provide consulting services to their clients
Weixiu Luo's Projects
E1299: A Phase II Study of ORZEL (UFT + Leucovorin) in Elderly (≥ 75 years old) Patients with Colorectal Cancer
E4201: A Randomized Phase III Study of Gemcitabine in Combination with Radiation Therapy versus Gemcitabine Alone in Patients with Localized, Unresectable Pancreatic Cancer
E6202: A Phase II Trial of Bortezomib Plus Doxorubicin in Hepatocellular Carcinoma
E8200: A Phase II Trial of Irinotecan/Docetaxel for Advanced Pancreatic Cancer, with Randomization Between Irinotecan/ Docetaxel and Irinotecan/Docetaxel Plus C225 a Monoclonal Antibody to the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGF-r)
E1603: Phase II Trial of Depsipeptide (NSC 630176) in Advanced Malignant Melanoma
E2602: Phase II Study of Low Dose Peginterferon Alfa-2b in Patients with Metastatic Melanoma Over-Expressing Basic Fibroblast Growth Factor
Phase II Study of BAY43-9006 (Sorafenib) Combined with Docetaxel and Cisplatin in the Treatment of Metastatic or Advanced Unresectable Gastric and Gastro-esophageal Junction (GEJ) Adenocarcinoma
Phase II Study of Preoperative Radiation with Concurrent Capecitabine, Oxaliplatin, and Bevacizumab Followed by Surgery and Postoperative 5-FU, Leucovorin, Oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) and Bevacizumab in Patients with Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer
Phase II Trial of Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT) with SIR-Spheres in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer (CRC) and Hepatocellular Cancer (HCC)
A Randomized phase II/III Trial Evaluating Gemcitabine/Oxaliplatin in Combination with Bevacizumab, Cetuximab or Both in Patients with Metastatic Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas
Variability Among Breast Radiation Oncologists in Delineation of the Post-Surgical Breast Lumpectomy Cavity Volume
A Partial Breast Irradiation Study to Evaluate Target Registration Error (TRE) of 3D Surface Imaging Method Compared to Laser and Chest Wall Methods and to Investigate Factors that Influence TRE
Impact of Sulindac on Tumor-Promoting Effect of Stroma (MOP) in Mice
BRCA1/BARD1- Mediated Association of RCC1 with Chromatin Is Required for the Fidelity of Mitosis and Mitotic Exit
A Study of Central Memory and Effector Memory p11C+ CD8 T Cells in HIV Infected Monkeys
A Study to Evaluate Efficacy of Three Types of Vaccines and Effect of Vaccine Dose Levels on Viral Load in Monkeys Infected with HIV
Weixiu Luo's Certifications
Licensed Doctor in China (M.D. equivalent)
- Ministry of Health P.R. China
- November 2000
Weixiu Luo's Publications
Presence of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and a dominant nodule within primary melanoma are prognostic factors for relapse-free survival of patients with thick (t4) primary melanoma: pathologic analysis of the e1690 and e1694 intergroup trials.
Authors: Weixiu Luo, Rao UN, Lee SJ
- Am J Clin Pathol. 133(4):646-53
- April 2010
Synchronization of Treatment with Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents and Chemotherapy.
Authors: Weixiu Luo, Nordstrom BL, Fraeman KH
- Am J Pharm Benefits. 2(3):199-208
Adherence to guidelines for use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in patients with chemotherapy-induced anemia: results of a retrospective study of an electronic medical-records database in the United States, 2002-2006.
Authors: Weixiu Luo, Nordstrom BL, Fraeman K
- Clin Ther. 30(12):2423-35
- December 2008
Use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents among chemotherapy patients with hemoglobin exceeding 12 grams per deciliter.
Authors: Weixiu Luo, Nordstrom BL, Fraeman K
- J Manag Care Pharm. 14(9):858-69
- November 2008
Phase II study of uracil-tegafur with leucovorin in elderly (> or = 75 years old) patients with colorectal cancer: ECOG 1299.
Authors: Weixiu Luo, Hochster HS, Popa EC
- J Clin Oncol. 25(34):5397-402
- December 1, 2007
Variability among breast radiation oncologists in delineation of the postsurgical lumpectomy cavity.
Authors: Weixiu Luo, Landis DM, Song J
- Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 67(5):1299-308
- April 1, 2007
Weixiu Luo's Languages
English(Full professional proficiency)
Chinese(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Weixiu Luo's Skills & Expertise
- Statistical programming skill in SAS
- Other statistical programming languages and software including R, Splus
- Experience in working with large relational database including Oracle Clinical
- Microsoft windows and Unix working environments
Weixiu Luo's Education
Pennsylvania State University
Master of Science (M.S.), Statistics
2002 – 2004
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Clinical Medicine
1992 – 1997
Weixiu Luo's Additional Information
Contact Weixiu for:
View Weixiu Luo’s full profile to...
- See who you and Weixiu Luo know in common
- Get introduced to Weixiu Luo
- Contact Weixiu Luo directly