Senior Accountant at Aruba Networks
- San Francisco Bay Area
Wanchi So's Overview
- Senior Accountant at Aruba Networks
Wanchi So's Summary
CPA - Certified Public Accountant (Active in California)
Certified Public Accountant experienced in auditing financial statements and SOX 404 compliance for U.S. based, public and private companies, non-profits in compliance with US GAAP. Strong performance in financial data analysis, internal controls risk assessment and best practices, financial statements audit, project management, team-building and leadership.
Wanchi So's Experience
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; ARUN; Computer Networking industry
2013 – Present (1 year)
Senior Associate, Assurance
Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Accounting industry
2010 – 2013 (3 years) San Francisco Bay Area
- Perform risk-based audits of financial statements in compliance with US GAAP for public and private companies in different industries, including consumer product and retail, biotech, pharmaceuticals, online social media, software
- Assess the design and implementation of client companies' internal controls, provide recommendation for improvement to clients through performing internal control walkthrough and SOX 404 internal control testing
- Assist client companies with preparing annual financial statements in accordance with US GAAP, perform technical accounting research for client, draft consultation and analysis memos on accounting issues for external clients and internal audit team's management
- Serve as Lead Senior Associate / Acting Manager for a complex audit of a consumer product company under a tight timeline, involving a carve-out from its public parent company, S-4 filing / public debt offering with SEC, new accounting system implementation at mid-year, change of inventory pricing model involving new transfer pricing model and changes of product mix in mid-year, coordination of audit in multi-national operations in 12+ countries in US, Europe, Asia, and Latin America
- Concurrently manage workflow of several audit engagements from start to finish, managing internal and external clients and reporting to multiple upward reports. Give audit planning presentations and weekly status update meetings to audit team's management
- Supervise teams of 3 to 5 staff members on audit engagements, train staff on audit procedures and review their work throughout the audit
- Served as Team Captain for EY 2011 Connect Day Community Service project (recruit and coordinate a team of volunteers, fund-raise for the event and promote participation of volunteer event among colleagues)
- Received 2 Bravo Awards in 2011 from engagement Partner and Senior Manager for delivering excellent service and performing beyond expectation at a highly complex year-end audit
Pro-bono Finance & Accounting Consultant
Accounting and Financial Operations, Non-Profit Organizations
2009 – 2011 (2 years)
• Advise non-profit organizations (i.e. foundations, church) on accounting operations, financial reporting, internal controls best practices on an as-needed basis.
Prepare and draft accounting policy manuals and internal controls narratives.
• Services include annual audit preparation, internal controls review and recommendations for process improvement, manage donations revenue, monthly bank reconciliation and check register, review GL and correct journal entries, audit cash disbursements and monthly operating expenses, track and process monthly AP/AR and payroll.
Senior Accountant (Consultant)
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Internet industry
2010 – 2010 (less than a year)
• Full-charge accountant managing all aspects of daily accounting operations using QuickBooks Online (similar to Oracle 11i), including preparing and inputting journal entries, take charge of AP & vendor relations, track fixed assets register, deferred rent and prepaid expenses schedules, reconcile GL accounts, complete month-end close procedures, prepare financial statements flux analysis, check payroll data and employee benefits for each pay period, prepare monthly financial statements for Board and Management, ad hoc accounting projects, support marketing team by compiling revenue metrics analysis
• Prepare revenue data for revenue restatement per SOP 97-2 for the entire FYE 2010. Clean up general ledger to prepare for annual financial audit. Successfully passed FYE 2010 financial audit with no auditor-proposed adjustment required.
• Manage and supervise the work of two accounting contractors in daily accounting operations
CPA, Public Accounting - External Auditor
Partnership; 51-200 employees; Accounting industry
2008 – 2010 (2 years)
• Planned and managed risk-based audit engagements, assessing internal controls risks in various business processes, and conducting in-depth audit procedures, substantive testing and drafting of financial statements per US GAAP. Experience with research and application of various technical accounting standards, i.e. FAS 157 (fair value accounting), SOP 98-2 (joint-cost allocation), IFRS standards, FAS 116 & 117 (funds and contributions accounting), FASB 17 (lease accounting)
• Created data analysis reports and assisted in presenting results of analyses during client meetings for Litigation dept.
• Client exposure included lumber industry, investment management, high-tech, education, NPO’s and foundations.
• Successfully acquired major client & client leads for Seiler, LLP’s Tax practice, increasing sales revenue for FYE 09.
Mentoring Committee Co-Chair
2006 – 2009 (3 years)
Ascend - Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area)
• Worked with a team of 5 to plan and co-manage the first “View from the Top” Mentorship Program for the SF Chapter at the annual ASCEND Leadership Conference attended by over 1,000 business professionals.
• Recipient of the 2009 President’s Award for Significant Contributions to ASCEND
Partnership; 10,001+ employees; Accounting industry
2006 – 2007 (1 year)
• Performed audits procedures for year-end & quarterly reviews of financial statements in compliance with US GAAP.
• Conducted detailed analysis of trends and variances in financial statements, and audit testing procedures on various accounts, with experience in auditing SOP 97-2 software revenue recognition.
• Ensured SOX 404 compliance for US-based multi-national public companies. Conducted interviews with clients of various levels and performed internal control testing for business cycles, i.e. procure-to-pay, treasury cycle, sales commissions, and payroll processes.
• Supervised and reviewed the work done by interns and 1s-year staff. Mentored junior team members.
Wanchi So's Skills & Expertise
- Native fluency in Chinese (writing & reading traditional or simplified Chinese)
- Native fluency in Cantonese. Proficient in Mandarin
- US GAAP
Wanchi So's Education
Certificate for Advanced Accounting Proficiency Program
Certificate of Advanced Accounting Proficiency Program (CAAP)
B.A., International Relations
With Departmental Honors
Activities and Societies: Organizer and Programming Co-Chair, Forum for Chinese & American Exchange at Stanford (FACES), Alternative Spring Break; SPOON; study abroad program in London
M.A., Anthropological Sciences
Wanchi So's Additional Information
• Experience in Microsoft Excel (pivot table, vlookup, formula functions), Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, SAP, QuickBooks, Quicken, Lotus Notes, CCH Engagement, Accounting Research Manager (ARM), First Research • Native fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese (Cantonese), proficient in Mandarin.
- Groups and Associations:
Contact Wanchi for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch