Executive Director at Singapore River One
- Wichita, Kansas (Wichita, Kansas Area)
- Nonprofit Organization Management
Ty Tabing's Overview
- Executive Director at Singapore River One
- Executive Director at Chicago Loop Alliance
- Assistant Commissioner at City of Chicago
- Assistant Commissioner/Coordinator of Economic Development at City of Chicago
Ty Tabing's Summary
Internationally recognized senior downtown economic development professional with over 15 years experience in business association management and government, both domestically and globally.
Special expertise in mobilizing diverse public and private sector audiences around common goals and creating mutually beneficial strategic partnerships. Personal reputation for innovation in developing dynamic programming through spectacle and place-making that engages an entire urban area to impact a city’s present and future.
Proven track record in conceptualizing, building and maintaining one of the leading Business Improvement Districts (BID) in the US, with demonstrated positive impact on major accountability metrics. Skilled spokesperson and advocate, frequently quoted in local and national media.
• Developed and led start-up initiative for Singapore River One, a new place management entity anticpated to become Singapore’s first BID.
• Founded Chicago Loop Alliance by facilitating merger of two smaller organizations and grew merged organization into preeminent downtown institution.
• Played leadership role in transformation of Chicago’s Loop into the fastest-growing urban core in America (2010 census) and “America’s Best Downtown” (Forbes magazine, 2012).
• Named “Chicagoan of the Year 2011,” by Chicago Tribune for excellence in cultural programming.
Ty Tabing's Experience
Nonprofit; 1-10 employees; Leisure, Travel & Tourism industry
June 2012 – 2014 (2 years) Singapore
Selected through an international search to lead all aspects of the SRO start-up. Responsibilities include strategic planning, resource development, administration, coordination of city services to maintain appearance and safety, master planning of physical environment, creation of events and programming, and advocacy and representation of the area as chief spokesperson.
Within two years, accomplished goals of establishing a functioning place management business supported by private and public sectors. Created plans and initiatives to seed and launch major strategies, programming and development of revenue streams to sustain organization into the future.
• Created work plan, established budgets, time lines, key performance indicators and led consensus-building and approval of work plan among 12 agencies of Government delivering services along the River.
• Hired staff of five employees and launched all aspects of new business start-up.
• Created all marketing assets including website, mobile app, social media and collateral materials.
• Launched sponsorship program resulting in $1.2M in funding including securing Visa as the “official card” of SRO.
• Worked with agencies of Government to secure support and funding for new way-finding signage, heritage markers, urban furniture and $8M revamp of prominent al fresco dining area.
• Developed membership program involving recruitment and creation of value proposition. Raised over $600K in membership dues, quickly establishing SRO as the largest place-based membership organization in Singapore.
• Established framework and led consensus-building for fee-based management of al fresco dining area.
• Created tenant recruitment program in partnership with international brokerage firm to attract new-to-market tenants.
• Established place-making programming to credential the area as a destination and attract traffic.
Nonprofit; 1-10 employees; Civic & Social Organization industry
February 2004 – June 2012 (8 years 5 months)
Led consensus-building that merged two civic groups to form larger downtown association. Created dynamic programming to promote area including annual public art installations, the multi-sensory installation called Lightscape, Pop-Up Art Loop, Open Streets on State Street, Looptopia - an all-night cultural celebration that attracted 200,000, and several new destination marketing campaigns. Created annual economic report showcasing performance metrics of area. Greatly enhanced relevance and image of organization throughout City and beyond.
Government Agency; 10,001+ employees; Government Administration industry
September 1997 – January 2004 (6 years 5 months)
Managed real estate and economic development projects in Chicago’s Central Area. Responsibilities included identifying redevelopment opportunities, evaluating and negotiating requests for city assistance, site planning, zoning negotiations and analyses of building reuse potential. Notable projects included 2002 selection of developer, creation of the site plan and negotiation of sale of Block 37 land to Mills Corporation for a $250MM mixed-use project. Played key role in the 2001 recruitment of Boeing Corporation to Chicago by identifying buildings that met company’s specifications and assisted in creating financial incentives package for this high-profile corporate relocation.
Assistant Commissioner/Coordinator of Economic Development
Government Agency; 10,001+ employees; Government Administration industry
1997 – 2004 (7 years)
Managed real estate and economic development projects in Chicago’s Central Area. Responsibilities included identifying redevelopment opportunities, evaluating and negotiating requests for city assistance, site planning, zoning negotiations and analyses of building reuse potential. Notable projects included 2002 selection of developer, creation of the site plan and negotiation of sale of Block 37 land for a $250MM mixed-use project. Played key role in the 2001 recruitment of Boeing Corporation to Chicago by identifying buildings that met company’s specifications and assisted in creating financial incentives package for this high-profile corporate relocation.
Ty Tabing's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Causes I care about:
- Arts and Culture
- Economic Empowerment
Ty Tabing's Publications
Singapore Business Review
- August 13, 2012
"Singapore gears up for revamping the river"
Crain's Chicago Business
- May 2, 2012
"Tabing to leave CLA"
- January 16, 2012
Executive profile: "Former accidental tourist to Chicago now works to bring more people into Loop"
Authors: Ty Tabing, Jeremy Grant
- Financial Times
- September 21, 2012
quote and reference to cleaning up physical environment around Singapore River
Ty Tabing's Skills & Expertise
- Association Management
- Economic Development
- Artist Management
- Community Development
- Government Relations
- Public Policy
- Public-private Partnerships
- Public Relations
- Staff Management
- Urban Planning
- Public Speaking
- Corporate Branding
- Corporate Governance
- Community Outreach
- Key Performance Indicators
- Strategic Planning
- Local Government
- Strategic Communications
- Public/private Partnerships
- Program Development
- Public Administration
- Strategic Partnerships
- Land Use
- Non-profit Administration
- Affordable Housing
- Grant Writing
- Historic Preservation
- Community Engagement
- Volunteer Management
- Talent Management
- Policy Analysis
- Board Development
- Legislative Relations
- Community Organizing
- Workforce Development
- Political Campaigns
- Program Evaluation
- Grassroots Organizing
Ty Tabing's Education
Ty Tabing's Additional Information
- Groups and Associations:
Economic Club of Chicago, Board member of International Downtown Association
- Honors and Awards:
Crains Who's Who in Chicago Business 2007-2011; 2011 appointee to Mayor Emanuel's transition committee (government & business), 2010 selection as Chicago Tribune's "Chicagoan of the Year" in visual arts, 2011 recipient of "pinnacle award" from International Downtown Association for excellence in destination marketing
Contact Ty for:
- career opportunities
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Ty Tabing’s full profile to...
- See who you and Ty Tabing know in common
- Get introduced to Ty Tabing
- Contact Ty Tabing directly