Associate Principal Scientist at Mondelēz International
- Greater New York City Area
- Higher Education
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Overview
- Associate Principal Scientistn - Nutrition Communications at Mondelēz International
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Experience
Associate Principal Scientistn - Nutrition Communications
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; MDLZ; Food Production industry
September 2013 – Present (1 year 1 month) East Hanover, NJ
• Lead U.S. pipeline development related to emerging science, claims and positioning
for health and wellness innovation.
• Develop and advance H&W strategies for key topics aligned to business priorities.
• Support consumer and health professional H&W web communications.
• Build partnerships with relevant external organizations.
Associate Professor, Foods and Nutrition
Educational Institution; 51-200 employees; Higher Education industry
August 2005 – August 2013 (8 years 1 month) College of Saint Elizabeth, Morristown, NJ
• Undergraduate/ Graduate Instructor food science, nutrition, food safety, food laws,research,&cultural foods.
• Interim Graduate Program Director and Advisor (2011-2012)
• Managed graduate research projects and students in food science and nutrition.
• Created and launched novel service learning projects to support community foodbanks.
• Online instructor with novel applications in food science and cultural foods courses.
• Instructor and Proctor for the National Restaurant Association, ServSafe® Exam.
• Key member of strategic planning committee to re-develop entire General Education program.
• Member of Academic Life, General Education sub-committees, New Faculty Search committees.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Market Research industry
January 2005 – May 2011 (6 years 5 months) Morristown, NJ
• Project work as a "creative" for wide range of consumer products.
• Trained to use mulitiple techniques for the creative process.
Product Development Scientist
Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Consumer Goods industry
January 1995 – September 2003 (8 years 9 months) Hackettstown, NJ
• Product development scientist for chocolate, sugar, and sugar-free confections.
• Member of cross-functional team that developed and launched Aqua Drops™ hard candy.
• Innovation research for oral health care and licensable technologies.
• Managed extensive flavor programs with outside vendors.
• Maintained existing Mars Chocolate brands (Snickers®, 3-Musketeers®, Mars Almond Bars®).
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Honors and Awards
Certified Food Scientist, CFS
- February 2003
Coaching and Mentoring AwardM&M/ Mars
Pillsbury Fellowship in Cereal Science and TechnologyThe Pillsbury Co.
American Association of Cereal Chemists Graduate FellowshipAACC
National 1st Place Team Winner – IFT Product Development ContestIFT
Agnes Frances Carlin Fellowship: ISU Food Science Graduate Scholastic AwardIowa State University
Iowa State University Science and Math AwardISU
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Publications
Confectionery Product Having a Salivation Region and an Oral Comfort Region.
Authors: Sonia Hartunian-Sowa, Julie A. Bratton, Jean Lee, Kevin J. Stanton, Nurhan Pinar Tutuncu
- US Patent 20030118628, Application.
- June 26, 2003
Environmentally-induced variation in starch and non-starch polysaccharide content in wheat.
Authors: Sonia Hartunian-Sowa, Coles, G. D.,, Jamieson, P. D., Hay, A. J., Fulcher, R. G., Atwell, W. A.
- J. Cereal Sci., 26(1):47.
Serious cereal science.
Authors: Sonia Hartunian-Sowa
- Prepared Foods, 163(11):49-52.
Characterization of starch isolated from oat groats with different amounts of lipids.
Authors: Sonia Hartunian-Sowa, White, P. J.
- Cereal Chemistry, 69(5):521-527.
Influence of monoglycerides of different chain lengths on texture and flavor of breads made from waxy cornstarch.
Authors: Sonia Hartunian-Sowa, White, P. J., Batres, L. V.
- Starch/Stärke, 42(2):53-56.
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Skills & Expertise
- Sensory Evaluation
- Food Science
- Food Safety
- Nutrition Education
- Food Technology
- Product Development
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Education
Ph.D., Food Science
1991 – 1995
• Cereal chemistry and carbohydrate research.
• Researched the variation in structure and distribution of wheat nonstarch polysaccharides.
• Pillsbury Fellowship in Cereal Science and Technology
Activities and Societies: IFT, AACC, Sigma Xi
Master of Science (M.S.), Food Science
1989 – 1991
• Starch Chemistry research.
• Characterization of starch isolated from oat groats with different amounts of lipids.
Activities and Societies: IFT, AACC, Sigmi Xi
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Food Science
1985 – 1989
• Undergraduate research on bread staling and starch chemistry.
• Influence of monoglycerides of different chain lengths on texture and flavor of breads made from waxy cornstarch.
Activities and Societies: IFT, AACC, Sigma Xi, Kappa Kappa Gamma
Sonia Hartunian-Sowa's Additional Information
Contact Sonia for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Sonia Hartunian-Sowa’s full profile to...
- See who you and Sonia Hartunian-Sowa know in common
- Get introduced to Sonia Hartunian-Sowa
- Contact Sonia Hartunian-Sowa directly