Head Analyst at BitChemy Ventures, Author of Tech-Thoughts
- Hyderabad Area, India
- Venture Capital & Private Equity
Sameer Singh's Overview
- Head Analyst at BitChemy Ventures
- Author at Tech-Thoughts.net
- Freelance Consultant at VisionMobile
- Associate at Finvista Advisors Private Ltd
- Associate Vice-President - 1 at Kotak - Wealth Management
- Summer Intern at Deloitte Consulting - Strategy & Operations
- XLRI Jamshedpur
- Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet
Sameer Singh's Summary
Business strategy professional with expertise in consumer technology, mobile ecosystems, asymmetric business models and disruptive innovation. My professional experience spans the areas of strategy consulting, investment management, M&A and venture capital.
In my current role, I evaluate technology startups and investment opportunities at BitChemy Ventures, an incubation firm. Previously, I've worked as a freelance consultant with VisionMobile, a UK-based research firm specializing in mobile ecosystems. I also blog about the mobile industry at Tech-Thoughts.net. My work has been quoted or referenced on leading publications like Reuters, Fortune, Forbes, CNN Money, TIME, NY Times, Business Insider, CNET, Techcrunch and many others.
Sameer Singh's Experience
January 2013 – Present (1 year 9 months) Hyderabad Area, India
Company Overview: BitChemy is an incubation and seed investment firm focused on emerging opportunities in technology. The firm's parent group has a turnover of over $1 billion and operates in more than 10 countries and 8 industry sectors.
Responsibilities: Worked closely with directors and CEOs to evaluate/screen new business ideas and investment opportunities, to conceptualize business models, develop financial projections for selected opportunities and finally, to provide strategic guidance to incubated start-ups through ongoing industry research.
- Led valuation and due diligence for seed-stage investments into a "plug & play", mobile commerce solution and an online channel partner marketplace
- Conceptualized business model and go-to-market strategy for mobile marketing and analytics start-up
February 2012 – Present (2 years 8 months)
Tech-Thoughts, my personal blog, analyzes the evolution of mobile platforms and their impact on incumbent companies.
- Interviewed and Quoted on Reuters, Fortune, Computerworld and Macworld
- Published on Business Insider
- Referenced on other, leading publications such as Reuters, Forbes, Bloomberg, TIME, NY Times, CNN Money, The Washington Post, The Guardian, CNET, VentureBeat, Mashable, TechCrunch, etc.
June 2013 – February 2014 (9 months) London, United Kingdom
Company Overview: VisionMobile is leading research and consulting firm focused on mobile business models.
Responsibilities: Worked closely with VisionMobile’s strategy director to develop hypotheses on asymmetric business models and chart the direction of industry evolution.
- Co-authored research on the evolution of handset business models from “hardware as a source of profits” to “hardware as a distribution model”
- Co-authored paper on asymmetric business model patterns in the age of mobile ecosystems
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Investment Banking industry
November 2010 – January 2013 (2 years 3 months) Hyderabad Area, India
Company Overview: Finvista is a mid-market M&A advisory firm specialized in cross-border transactions in the technology vertical.
Responsibilities: Worked with partners to evaluate and support transactions across the M&A lifecycle, including Target Identification/Screening, Industry Research, Financial Modeling/Valuation, Due Diligence, Negotiation and Deal Structuring and finally, Documentation and Closure. Evaluated deals, across various stages and sectors including Technology, E-Commerce, Pharmaceutical, Manufacturing and Financial Services.
- Evaluated the sale of a US-based IT Services Provider to an Indian entity
- Evaluated the sale of a US-based subsidiary of an Indian IT Services Provider to European buyers
- Developed a Comprehensive Valuation Model for a local chain of Aesthetic Clinics, using a bottom-up approach
Associate Vice-President - 1
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Banking industry
June 2008 – September 2010 (2 years 4 months) Mumbai Area, India
Company/Team Overview: Kotak is one of India’s largest private banking, and wealth management, firms. Was part of the “Investment Analysis and Portfolio Strategy” team for the “Asset Advisory” and “Family Office” segments, the latter with AUA of over INR 25 billion.
Responsibilities: Worked with the head of the “Family Office” division and organization-wide, cross-functional teams. Responsibilities included performing risk profile based asset allocation, developing transition strategies and cash flow projections and periodic reviews of client portfolio constituents and asset allocations.
- Worked on the planning and implementation of “Family Office”, a new service line for Kotak Wealth Management focused on Ultra High Net Worth clients
- Developed Pricing Models and a Business Process Flowchart for Kotak Family Office
- Developed a Financial Model for Active Portfolio Management
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; Biotechnology industry
April 2007 – June 2007 (3 months) Hyderabad Area, India
Company/Team Overview: Worked with the M&A team in the Strategy & Operations consulting division.
Responsibilities: Was tasked with comparing private equity trends and drivers in the US and Europe, analyzing private equity trends in emerging markets.
- Identified key drivers for success in private equity buyouts recommended restructuring Deloitte’s private equity service offerings
- Worked on a bankruptcy scenario analysis for a live, multi-billion dollar, private equity buyout in the US market
Sameer Singh's Publications
- Developer Economics
- January 21, 2014
A look at how the "economics of free" apply to mobile gaming.
- August 5, 2013
The evolution of the PC and mobile handset industry have been mirror images of each other, as both saw two distinct disruptions: a new market disruption, followed by a low-end disruption. The shift from integrated companies to modular competitors will pressure hardware profit margins across the industry, leading to the emergence of a new business model, i.e. hardware-as-distribution
- June 5, 2013
Are the smartphone wars about profit share or market share? The case for profit may be fundamentally misunderstood.
- October 28, 2013
Three important lessons to be learned from Blackberry's dire straits.
- Business Insider
- September 25, 2012
In my last post, we had estimated 150-170 million global iPhone sales over the next four quarters, based on the impact of the last three iPhone launches on QoQ growth patterns. Now, let's use the same methodology to reach a realistic sales estimate for the iPhone for each of Apple's non-retail operating segments (regions), i.e. the Americas, Europe, Japan and APAC.
Sameer Singh's Languages
English(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Sameer Singh's Skills & Expertise
- Financial Modeling
- Due Diligence
- Mobile Technology
- Industry Research
- Private Equity
- Business Strategy
- Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Startup Development
- Investment Banking
- Equity Research
- Technology Management
- Cross-functional Team Leadership
Sameer Singh's Education
PGDBM, Finance & Marketing
2006 – 2008
Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet
1990 – 2000
Sameer Singh's Additional Information
Consumer Technology, Internet, E-Commerce, Mobile Platforms, Telecom, Business Models
- Groups and Associations:
- Honors and Awards:
Rising Startups Stars on Killer Startups - http://www.killerstartups.com/rising-startup-stars/tech-thoughts-from-founder-sameer-singh/
Contact Sameer for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- reference requests
- getting back in touch