Join LinkedIn and access Melinda's full profile. It's free!
As a LinkedIn member, you'll join 300 million other professionals who are sharing connections, ideas, and opportunities.
- See who you know in common
- Get introduced
- Contact Melinda directly
• Head of program Internal Audit. Created and maintained Audit Plan, internal risk assessment, supervise audit specialist with completing internal audit objectives.
• Analyze financial and program data to detect irregularities in areas such as financial transactions and regulatory compliance procedures using appropriate audit evidence.
• Collect and analyze data, examine records and interview workers to ensure and detect deficient internal controls, fraud, or non-compliance with GAS, laws, regulations, and management policies.
• External performance audit performed 3 months following my arrival. External follow up performance audit performed 11 months following my arrival. 3 findings and 7 recommendations were cleared 100%. Reports released publicly 07/18/12.
• Two external A-133 financial audits, one GOHSEP Perf. Review performed since my arrival. No audit findings.
• Report to management audit results and recommend changes in operations and compliance activities. Reports include charts, graphs and tables.
• Serve as a confidential point of contact for employees to communicate with management, seek clarification on issues or dilemmas, or report irregularities.
• Primary contact for external audit parties. Participate in fraud investigation teams with law enforcement officers, Attorney General and OIG. Prepare written reports of investigation findings for teams and for possible court appearance.
Directed and coordinated the organization's financial activities.
Prepared and presented Financial Statements, reports concerning other financial activities, government statutes and rulings to executives/owners.
Reviewed reports submitted by staff members to recommend approval or to suggest changes.
Direct, plan, implement policies and objectives for accounts receivables, pricing, and sales of products.
Conferred with executives/owners and staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, and resolve problems.
Served as liaison between executives and customers.
Prepared all payroll and excise tax returns
Assisted with analysis for the purchase of a new company. Company purchased
Created and implemented the Revenue Management Division.
Increased revenue by $1 million first year of implementation.
Documented findings of study and prepared recommendations for implementation of new or revised systems and procedures using databases, spreadsheets, charts and graphs.
Analyze data gathered and develop solutions or alternative methods of proceeding for communications, information flow, contract terms etc.
Conferred with applicable personnel to ensure successful functioning of newly implemented systems or procedures.
Analyzed business operations, trends, revenues, insurance contracts to project future revenues and reported to upper management of the health system.
Directed the development, implementation and enforcement of 3 OIG voluntary compliance program standards throughout the organization.
Implemented the software technology to adequately provide oversight and monitoring of each compliance program. Maintained documentation of compliance activities such as complaints received and investigation outcomes.
Assessed compliance risks and developed risk management strategies.
Provided employee training on compliance related topics, policies, or procedures.
Created, implemented and communicated all regulatory policies and procedures.
Conducted internal audits to ensure identification of compliance issues related to charges, coding, documentation, billing, etc. Used resources such as the OIG RATSTATS statistical software, GAO auditing procedures, Governmental Auditing Standards. Follow up reviews and audits were performed for each issue discovered.
Oversaw internal reporting systems such as compliance hotlines and educated employees about these systems.
Served as a confidential point of contact for employees to communicate with management, seek clarification on issues or dilemmas, or report irregularities.
Advised internal management of emerging compliance issues prior to the implementation of a compliance program.
Prepared management reports regarding compliance operations and progress using charts, graphs and tables.
Created and implemented the Cost Accounting area. Developed and implemented the document recordkeeping and cost accounting software system. Set up the cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures
Prepared cost report at regular intervals once cost system implemented
Conducted special studies to develop cost data.
Assessed cost effectiveness of services, health procedures and products.
Developed, maintained, and analyzed budgets numbers to prepare periodic reports that compared budgeted costs to actual costs.
Prepared report data about material assets, net worth, liabilities, surplus, income, and expenditures.
Inspected account books and accounting systems for efficiency, effectiveness, controls for system reliability and data integrity and use of accepted accounting procedures to record transactions.
Prepared, analyzed, and verified financial statements, and other records, using accepted accounting and statistical procedures.
Converted the manual general ledger audit recordkeeping to Microsoft document recordkeeping process.
Assisted with external audit workpapers.
Prepared financial statements in conformance to GAAP reporting and procedural standards.
Maintained the inventory real property and equipment recording information such as the description, value and location of property. Maintained the depreciation schedule.
Implemented the conversion to a new financal software system.
Assisted with external audit workpapers.
Converted the manual paper journal entry process to a Microsoft document system.
- Internal Controls
- General Ledger
- Financial Reporting
- Tax Preparation
- Financial Accounting
- Income Tax
- Tax Returns
- Corporate Tax
- Account Reconciliation
- • 20+ years experience...
- • 16+ years experience...
- • 5+ years experience...
- • 10+ years experience...
- • 20+ years experience...
- Accounts Receivable
- See 7+ See less
Search by name
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
People Also Viewed
Experienced Accounting Specialist - Reconciliations | Financial Analysis | Process Improvement
Director at LSERS
Executive Counsel at Louisiana School Employees' Retirement System
Special Projects/ HVAC Technician at Lewis Companies
Claims Adjuster at Apple Adjusters
Chief Financial Officer at GoAuto, LLC
Principal at JMB Preservation Advisors
Find a different Melinda Carson, CPA
Greater Los Angeles Area
Consultant at Carson Solutions
Sacramento, California Area
Implementation Engineer at First DataBank
Kansas City, Missouri Area
Teacher Fine Arts at Chesterfield County Public Schools
Richmond, Virginia Area
Fort Pierce, Florida Area