Consultant at San Diego, California
- Greater San Diego Area
- Oil & Energy
Marvin Schwedock's Overview
- Consultant, Business Development, Biofuels, R&D at San Diego, California
- Project Manager, Biofuels at General Atomics
- Process Chemical Engineer at Archimedes Technology Group
- Manager, Process Development at SGI International
- Sr. Chemical Engineer at Unocal
Marvin Schwedock's Summary
Chemical engineer with strong technical expertise and experience in project management, process development and engineering, research and development, and business development, particularly in petroleum and biofuel industries. A wide range of computer skills is utilized in all aspects of work. Highly effective on both individual and team assignments.
Marvin Schwedock's Experience
Consultant, Business Development, Biofuels, R&D
San Diego, California
2012 – Present (2 years)
• Prioritize high performance renewable fuel opportunities based on compound attributes.
• Provide introductions to potential collaborative partners (military, federal, and private) that may be interested in developing and utilizing compounds as biofuels and biochemicals.
• Describe current needs of military and private sector companies for renewable high performance fuels and identify opportunities to best capitalize and commercialize products in this sector.
Project Manager, Biofuels
Privately Held; 5001-10,000 employees; Defense & Space industry
2006 – 2012 (6 years) Greater San Diego Area
• Project manager. Managed biofuel projects involving General Atomics (GA), universities, and private industry partners, meeting project milestones and deliverables. Tracked schedule, costs, earned valued, procurement, staff, subcontractor management and customer reporting for GA to its Department of Defense (DoD) customers.
• Technical expertise. Developed mass balance and cost model for algae biofuels which included Monte Carlo risk analysis. Lead a team of engineers and technicians in internal research and development on lignin conversion to aromatic chemicals. Investigated alternative markets for algae meal to reduce cost of fuel production with algae. Designed and executed experiments to catalytically decontaminate algal oil.
• Business development. Established new relationships and strengthened old relationships with universities, national laboratories, Department of Defense (DoD), and other companies resulting in proposal teams and contracts. Attended industry conferences and made presentations at conferences to establish relationships and promote GA technologies.
• Proposal writing and management. Wrote proposals both as proposal manager and as a contributor leading to contracts. Established teams for submitting proposals.
Process Chemical Engineer
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Research industry
2002 – 2006 (4 years) Greater San Diego Area
• Built and maintained the Archimedes Plant mass balance flow sheet. The flow sheet was used to size equipment, qualify effluent streams, run different feeds, compare tank contents, analyze upset conditions, determine radioactivity and heat loading, perform safety analysis, etc.
• Developed process flow diagrams, system design documents, interface control documents, and cost estimates for Archimedes Plant subsystems.
• Integrated the Archimedes Plant model into a glass production model for the 590 batches expected at Hanford. Programmed an optimization routine into this combined model to determine Archimedes glass savings for many cases.
• Managed subcontractors who developed the Archimedes cost savings model. Used the model over a range of parameters to analyze various scenarios. Interacted closely with Archimedes top management in developing the business case for presentation to DOE and other organizations.
Manager, Process Development
1997 – 2001 (4 years) Greater San Diego Area
• Designed and executed experiments, analyzed data, and reported results demonstrating the effectiveness of the OCET technology. This technology uses an electrostatic process to polarize and agglomerate asphaltenes to separate them from residual oils found in refineries. The high quality data had been instrumental in forming cooperative programs with a major refiner and a major engineering and construction company.
• Managed the design, construction, and troubleshooting of the continuous flow, high temperature, high pressure pilot plant used for demonstrating the OCET technology. Selected processing equipment, calibrated instrumentation, tuned controllers, improved the data acquisition system, and tested and validated new prototype sensors.
• Performed unit operations both in the lab and at pilot plant facilities on oils produced from the patented LFC technology. Results had been used to secure product contracts and to design commercial scale units.
Sr. Chemical Engineer
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; UCL; Oil & Energy industry
1983 – 1997 (14 years) Orange County, California Area
• Responsible for the software development, maintenance, enhancement, technical support, and interpretation of the linear programs used to optimize and plan gasoline production at Unocal’s refineries to meet gasoline quality specifications. This software was instrumental in meeting increasingly stringent air quality standards as set by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
• Responsible for the evaluation and development of Unocal’s proprietary catalytic hydrotreating processes used in its refineries and licensed to other refiners. Developed and tested new process conditions and catalyst configurations at bench scale and pilot scale which improved this technology and increased sales.
• Responsible for developing predictive non-linear models of gasoline properties and for developing process models of unit operations.
Marvin Schwedock's Skills & Expertise
- Chemical Engineering
- Process Simulation
- Process Engineering
- Process Optimization
- Business Development
- Project Management
- Renewable Energy
- Technology Transfer
- Alternative Energy
- Process Development
- Proposal Writing
- Design of Experiments
- Engineering Management
- Program Management
- Process Design
Marvin Schwedock's Education
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Chemical Engineering
Bachelor of Science (BS), Chemical Engineering
Activities and Societies: Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity (president), American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
Marvin Schwedock's Additional Information
Contact Marvin for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Marvin Schwedock’s full profile to...
- See who you and Marvin Schwedock know in common
- Get introduced to Marvin Schwedock
- Contact Marvin Schwedock directly