Ecommerce Merchandising and Marketing Executive
- Greater Chicago Area
Kristen Montella's Overview
- Director / GM - Kmart Apparel Online at Sears Holdings Corporation
- Director of Ecommerce Merchandising at Meijer
- Vice President, Online at Lillian Vernon
- Merchandise and QA Manager at Time-Life Music
- Area Sales Manager / Store Manager / Visual Merchandising Manager at Retail Experience
Kristen Montella's Summary
Visionary business leader with unique understanding of the merchandising, marketing, creative, operational and technical aspects of building a high-converting and profitable website.
Ecommerce marketing veteran with 10+ years of broad-reaching web experience and proven successes, and 10+ years experience in leadership roles. Multi-tasking individual with strong leadership and organizational capabilities. High-level strategic thinker and data-driven decision maker with strong analytic skills and a constant eye on the both the top and bottom lines. Direct marketer with proven capability to acquire and retain customers, increase lifetime value, and build brand awareness and loyalty. Online user-experience specialist with track record of improving conversion.
• Driving online sales and profitability
• Optimizing overall site conversion and performance
• Developing long- and short-term strategies
• Directing and motivating cross-functional teams
• Building effective relationships and partnerships
• Leveraging marketing budget to maximize ROI
• Targeting and personalizing online user experience
• Defining project scope, requirements and timelines
Kristen Montella's Experience
Director / GM - Kmart Apparel Online
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; SHLD; Retail industry
January 2012 – Present (2 years 9 months) Greater Chicago Area
• Achieved 100% growth in revenue and margin, through effective improvements in user experience, strategic online marketing campaigns, and management of product lifecycle.
• Led cross-functional teams through development, design, and implementation of new taxonomy, new product detail page, new content structure, new landing page templates, and new creative look and feel. Doubled conversion rate.
• Partnered with digital marketing channel leads to build strategic campaigns for acquisition and retention planning. Executed fully-integrated online experiences, including custom landing pages, micro-sites, and digital assets.
• Developed effective relationships with full-line store leadership to integrate online and offline vision, marketing strategy, and product offerings. Created a collaborative environment in a complex, multi-layered organization.
Director of Ecommerce Merchandising
Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Retail industry
June 2008 – October 2011 (3 years 5 months)
• Directed cross-functional teams through fact-based strategy and multi-year vision to grow product assortment to over 300,000 products, increasing ecommerce sales by 500% and site conversion by 900%. Improved margin rates by 150%.
• Identified and led development of foundational tools and processes for reporting and merchandising, including content and pricing tools, and setup tools and process. Reduced data errors by over 700%, improved efficiency of product setup by 200%.
• Served as project lead for implementation of in-house fulfillment, including developing initial process for multi-channel merchandising integration of offline and online channels. In-house fulfillment grew to more than 30% of total site business.
• Developed creative brief process, synergizing cross-channel creative, merchandising, and marketing initiatives, allowing for closer cross-channel brand marketing and increasing in-region conversion by 35%.
Vice President, Online
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Retail industry
June 2004 – June 2008 (4 years 1 month)
• Developed strategic goals for online business that supported overall company objectives. Led all online marketing, merchandising, design, and technology efforts. Grew internet business as percent of total company to 75% over 5 years.
• Complete P&L responsibility for $100MM online business. Measured and managed online marketing spend of $6 million annually to achieve aggressive ROI and contribution to overhead goals. Exceeded sales and profitability goals every year.
• Increased site conversion rate each year though strong merchandising and creative tactics and strategic site enhancements including internal search optimization, product reviews, targeted product recommendations, gift reminder service, and rich media and enhanced image viewers. Achieved 10% conversion rate, up from 4%.
• Championed and directed company leadership in development of multi-channel strategic direction in online marketing, catalog circulation, and acquisition marketing. Through extensive A/B testing and analytics, determined catalog circulation could be reduced by 28% and while maintaining same corporate sales, increasing overall corporate profitability by 33%.
• Developed branding strategy for LillysKids.com with its own product navigation and landing pages; directed and implemented development of new site-within-a-site, new online merchandising strategy, online marketing strategy, and catalog re-branding of website callouts. LillysKids.com business grew to 45% of all online business.
• Successfully served as project manager for 3 website launches, including Time Life Hispanic and Canadian sites, as well as executive lead for 2 website re-launches. Managed three websites from one product database.
• Revamped email program from blast-based emails to highly targeted emails based on segmentation and persona customer data. Championed integration of corporate customer database with email and online marketing tactics. Improved email revenue by 12% while reducing expenses by 21%.
Kristen Montella's Skills & Expertise
- Online Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Team Leadership
- Scope Management
- Cross-functional Team Leadership
- Online Merchandising
- Affiliate Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Online Advertising
- Social Media Marketing
- Web Analytics
- User Experience
- Marketing Strategy
- Multi-channel Marketing
- Product Development
- P&L Management
- Web Marketing
- Strategic Planning
- Direct Marketing
Kristen Montella's Additional Information
- Honors and Awards:
2006 eTail Winner – Best in Class – Site Search
Featured on cover of Internet Retailer, Feb 2007: Managing Ecommerce
Contact Kristen for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- reference requests
- getting back in touch