Technical Account Manager at IHS
- Kansas City, Missouri Area
- Computer Software
Greg Dance's Overview
- Technical Account Manager at IHS
- Owner at DivinaTyche Consulting
Greg Dance's Summary
I am an innovative engineer with the insight necessary to anticipate problems and develop creative solutions. I am adept at quickly assessing a client's product designs and processes so as to map them to existing solutions. One of my greatest talents is being able to explain complex technical issues in a way that anyone can understand.
Consulting • New Product Introduction
Systems Administration • Software Development
Engineering Management • Total Quality Management
Knowledge Management • Process Improvement & Automation
TRIZ • FMEA • Root Cause Analysis
Greg Dance's Experience
Technical Account Manager
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; IHS; Information Services industry
January 2013 – Present (1 year 10 months) Kansas City, Missouri Area
Responsible to help North American Sales team overcome any and all technical hurdles during pre-sales period and to follow-up with the customer in the post sales period to ensure customer satisfaction with the deployment.
July 2007 – Present (7 years 4 months)
Software development for EDA applications including embedded applications and interfaces from external applications.
Corporate Library configuration, installation, setup and management of software and databases.
Exhaustive and comprehensive Printed Circuit Board design and manufacturing consultation services with emphasis on high density products such as handheld devices.
Director of Hardware Engineering
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Software industry
May 2012 – January 2013 (9 months) Lenexa, KS
I worked for you each day by developing the electronic and mechanical hardware used to dynamically control traffic signals. We utilized adaptive technology to dynamically adjust traffic signals rather than simply hard coding in the light timing.
We were the fastest growing company in the Kansas City metro area in 2011 and were listed on the Inc. 500 fastest growing companies in the US in both 2011 and 2012.
I managed all of the hardware development for three new products and the required software development for two of them. Hardware included RF modules utilizing 2.4GHz, IEEE 802.15.4 technology, Freescale Kinetis family of MCU's, accelerometers and magnetometers.
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; Computer Software industry
July 2008 – March 2012 (3 years 9 months)
Responsible for post sales implementation and project management of Customer Success Programs and custom Statements of Work (SOW’s) for Invention Machine's Goldfire Innovator and Goldfire Insight products. Assisted in pre-sales activities including, but not limited to, supporting evaluations, gathering customer requirements, product demonstrations, and analyzing client’s process and databases for product integration
• Identified potential expansion sales opportunities and worked with existing customers to ensure the continuation of revenue from software maintenance renewal.
• Analyzed/recommend client hardware configurations, installed software, delivered and developed multi-day training courses, mentored individuals and project team members on research projects and innovation initiatives
• Deployment activities included integration with 3rd party applications and business systems as well as software development to support the integration and automation
• Produced webinars and white papers for knowledge transfer to customers, internal consultants and support staff
• Trained customers in TRIZ, Root Cause Analysis (RCA), FMEA and semantic based research.
• Clients have included the medical device, defense & aerospace, food & beverage, consumer products, chemical, automotive as well as oil and gas industries.
PCB Systems Administrator and Sr. Manager over PCB Design
Public Company; 501-1000 employees; SWIR; Wireless industry
August 2003 – July 2007 (4 years)
• Recently researched and implemented a design change reduced the cost of each product by $0.34-$0.48.
• Personally drove process changes to move product volumes from 5K to 100K a month.
• Established standard processes in engineering on a company wide basis following a merger.
• Developed processes and authored automation software to integrate the electrical engineering tools into the corporate Product Data Management (PDM) system.
• Integrated RoHS compliance requirements into the engineering libraries
• Established supplier relationships this year in China and Taiwan to expand our ability to respond to rapid increases in customer orders.
• Developed software to completely automate a labor intensive process of creating a Bill of Materials in the corporate PDM system.
• Developed an SQL/Relational database to maintain information on all electrical parts.
• Designed GSM and CDMA products for laptop PC cards, Express cards, embedded modules and handheld devices.
Sr. Manager over PCB Design
December 2000 – August 2003 (2 years 9 months)
One of the original engineering team members in San Diego and an investor in privately held AirPrime.
Selected all the software applications for engineering to use in the design of schematics and PCB layout.
Established the processes and automation used to integrate engineering data to other departments.
Designed GSM and CDMA products for laptop PC cards, Express cards, embedded modules.
AirPrime was then bought out and merged with Sierra Wireless
Manager of PCB Design
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; Automotive industry
April 1999 – December 2000 (1 year 9 months)
• A member of the design team which created the first commercially available cell phone with web browsing capability.
• Responsible for New Product Introduction, NPI, of PCB assemblies within the factory.
• Trained and advised the staff at the newly constructed, state of the art, surface mount assembly factory in the assembly of intricate, small form factor PCB assemblies.
• Traveled to Taiwan to create strategic partnerships with suppliers to handle growing volumes
• Established Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) thermal simulation into the standard product design process.
• Personally completed new product designs as necessary to ensure product schedules were met.
Consultant and Technical Support Manager
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Software industry
October 1997 – April 1999 (1 year 7 months)
• Corporate trainer for international and domestic customers- I created the course curriculum and tutorials used to train both potential and existing customers. While the hands-on training courses required only 25% of my time, they generated 12% of the company’s 1998 revenue.
• Worked directly with sales organization to ensure customer success during evaluation periods and thus generate referrals which helped to secure future sales.
• Traveled internationally to customer sites to support sales efforts.
• Authored white papers and presented seminars at technical conferences/trade shows.
• Coordinated technical support of customer problems with the software engineering team.
• Wrote software enhancements and online documentation for new customers.
Division Wide Mentor Graphics System Administrator and Senior Printed Circuit Designer
March 1992 – October 1997 (5 years 8 months)
• I created automated scripts and training which reduced the average design time for the entire design staff by 82% over a 2.5 year period.
• Customized and maintained the engineering applications for schematic capture, corporate libraries and PCB processes across 3 locations in WA, KS and FL.
• Established a database and provided an automated process for populating the database. This was then used to measure workload over the 3 corporate sites. This identified areas for productivity improvement in project management and engineering.
• Created courses on the Cadence Specctra autorouter and Mentor Graphics Board Stationtools at the above 3 locations and in NJ.
• Automated the creation of assembly drawings and the entire parts supplier quotation process.
• Created a web-based solution for Document Control
• Designed boards for handheld GPS navigation, avionics radios, autopilots, and collision avoidance equipment.
• Completed the Total Quality Management (TQM) training course.
Greg Dance's Skills & Expertise
- Mentor Graphics BoardStation
- Mentor Graphics Expedition
- Mentor Graphics LMS
- Mentor Graphics PADS PowerPCB
- Cadence Allegro
- Cadence Specctra
- Mentor Graphics/Flomeric Flowtherm
- Intercept Technology Pantheon
- Zuken Route Editor
- PTC Pro-Engineer 2000i
- Invention Machine Goldfire
- Mentor Graphics AMPLE
- Cadence SKILL
- Product Development
- Software Development
- Engineering Management
- PCB design
- Project Management
- Software Engineering
- Process Improvement
- Strategic Partnerships
- Knowledge Management
- Patent Searching
Greg Dance's Education
Online PMI/PMP Program, Project Management
2007 – 2008
Selected courses from the PMP online program.
BA, Physics, Computer Science and Mathematics majors
1984 – 1988
Activities and Societies: President Society of Physics Students, Competitive Bicycle Road Racing, Time Trials
Greg Dance's Additional Information
Cycling, Wood Working
- Groups and Associations:
Pantheon Users Group Mentor Graphics Users Group
- Honors and Awards:
1st place in the 9th annual Mentor Graphics PCB/MCM Technology Leadership Awards for a printed circuit board design used in a GPS-enabled, handheld avionics radio
Contact Greg for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch