President of Construction and Managing Director of XL Leadership Council
- Greater Chicago Area
Gary Kaplan's Overview
- President of Construction, Environmental and Interim Head of Distribution & Network at XL Insurance
- President of Construction at Zurich Insurance
- Head of Operational Transformation at Zurich North America Commercial
- Chief Underwriting Officer - Head of Technical Center at Zurich North America Commercial
- Underwriting Program Executive – Strategic Initiatives Group at Zurich North America
- Director of Property Line of Business at Zurich North America
- Chief Underwriting Officer - Property at Zurich US
- Senior Vice President and Director - Energy Property at Zurich-American Insurance Group
- Vice President - Energy Department at The Home Insurance Company
- Account Executive at Industrial Risk Insurers
- Northern Illinois University
- Oak Park River Forest High School
Gary Kaplan's Summary
Highly disciplined and results-focused leader with the proven track record developing and motivating high performance teams. Held senior level executive positions for both line and functional responsibilities. Led large scale operational transformations to drive down expenses and solve very tough operational issues. Turned around unacceptable underwriting results over several large books of business.
President of Construction - Came to XL to build a one of a kind Business Unit focused solely on Contractors. Responsible for all six P&C product lines including Property, Primary Casualty, Excess Casualty, Professional, Pollution, and Subcontractor Default insurance.
President of Construction - Headed up the Construction Business Unit within Zurich North America Commercial Business Division. Provide innovative products and services to the Construction Industry customers.
Head of Operational Transformation - Efforts focus on creating a more effective, efficient, flexible operating model and work environment that improves ease of doing business.
Chief Underwriting Officer/ Head of Technical Center - Set the underwriting strategy for organization. Established new Underwriting Governance Structure and delivered continuous improvement in underwriting and product management processes. Efforts drove the combined ratio to record combined ratio.
Member of the North America Commercial Executive Committee as well as many related subcommittees.
Underwriting Program Executive/ Strategic Initiatives Group - led all underwriting aspects of the Business Division’s focus on and contribution to the global profitability improvement program.
Specialties: Results-focused leadership, Strategic and operational planning, Underwriting management, Construction and Energy segments, Project and Change management, Driving innovation, Customer and distributor relationship development, Targeted account acquisition
Gary Kaplan's Experience
President of Construction, Environmental and Interim Head of Distribution & Network
May 2010 – Present (4 years 6 months) Greater New York City Area
President of Construction
2008 – February 2010 (2 years)
Head of Operational Transformation
2007 – 2008 (1 year)
Chief Underwriting Officer - Head of Technical Center
November 2004 – March 2007 (2 years 5 months)
Underwriting Program Executive – Strategic Initiatives Group
January 2003 – November 2004 (1 year 11 months)
Director of Property Line of Business
January 2001 – January 2003 (2 years 1 month)
Chief Underwriting Officer - Property
March 1999 – January 2001 (1 year 11 months)
Senior Vice President and Director - Energy Property
July 1995 – March 1999 (3 years 9 months)
Gary Kaplan's Skills & Expertise
- New Business Development
- Change Management
- Organizational Leadership
- Strategic Planning
- Risk Management
Gary Kaplan's Education
1975 – 1979
Oak Park River Forest High School
1971 – 1975