University of Minnesota Law School
Fellow at International Leadership Institute
Join LinkedIn & access Franklin's full profile
INT'L LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE NAIROBI, KENYA
Fellow Summer 2003
Studied child welfare issues in Kenya as government moved toward compliance with United Nations mandate for children’s rights; program involved visiting juvenile holding facilities, prisons, orphanages, and youth courts; traveled widely and drafted report presenting options for Kenya to more effectively meet terms of United Nations mandate.
U. OF MN/ILI-KIGALI, RWANDA
Fellow Summer 2005
Assisted with the creation of a micro lending program geared towards economic recovery for mothers (and children) who survived the genocide; worked on the development of a program geared toward community building and reconciliation; studied the causes and effects of the genocide as was apparent in all sectors of Rwandan society.
• Advised the Minneapolis Civil Rights Department on issues regarding the application of the Minneapolis Civil Rights Ordinance, as well as various State and Federal legislation;
• Drafted probable cause reviews concerning Charges of Discrimination issued by the Minneapolis Civil Rights Department;
• Drafted amendments to the Rules of Procedure for Contested Case Hearings to be applied by the Minneapolis Commission on Civil Rights;
• Represented the City of Minneapolis in matters where the City was a party to litigation; duties included drafting briefs and memoranda, arguing motions, advocating at settlement conferences, and appearing on behalf of the City of Minneapolis at hearings and trials in federal and state court;
• Represented the City of Minneapolis in Civil DWI forfeiture matters; duties included settlement negotiation, and court room advocacy at hearings and trials on behalf of the City of Minneapolis;
• Oversaw the Law Clerk Program; responsibilities included recruiting, interviewing, and hiring law clerks, organizing work assignments, creating and implementing administrative process.
• Negotiated and drafted contracts involving City services and obligations.
• Represented clients with issues concerning civil rights, housing discrimination, landlord-tenant law, and public assistance compliance;
• Scope of representation included client intake, factual and legal investigation, settlement negotiation, drafting of pleadings and legal memoranda, and courtroom advocacy at arraignments, hearings, and trials;
• Appeared bi-weekly in “the court project”—a pro bono program engineered to provide pre-court legal advice and immediate assistance to indigent individuals.
Senior Account Executive - Financial Services & Regional ERG Leader
Greater Chicago Area
Assistant Manager at Barons Marketplace
Greater San Diego Area
Bailey-Boushay House Finance
Greater Seattle Area
assembler at FAAC S.p.A.
Melbourne, Florida Area
Independent Arts and Crafts Professional
Jacksonville, Florida Area
Business Analyst US Navy
Senior Editor at Red Line Editorial
Attorney at Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia
Assistant Attorney General at Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia
Professional Development Manager at Fenwick & West
House Counsel at Logical Telecom, L.P.
Records Manager at Mansfield, Tanick & Cohen
Independent Financial Services Professional