David Hawkins, MBA
at Van Wagner Communications
- Greater Los Angeles Area
- Marketing and Advertising
David Hawkins, MBA's Overview
- Accounting Manager - Western Division at Van Wagner Communications
- Controller / Senior Consultant at KRF Consulting
- Controller at First Capital Financial Resources
- Controller at RockWest Technology Group
- Controller at London Financial Group
- Project Consultant at Independent Contractor
- VP Finance at Duty Free Shoppers
- Woodbury University
- University of Southern California - Marshall School of Business
- John Burroughs High School
David Hawkins, MBA's Summary
Accounting Manager with 15 years experience in general ledger accounting, financial reporting, and analysis. Strengths include the ability to lead operational accounting as well as contribute to critical financial roles supporting all operational units. Proactive and hands-on with experience in managing groups and developing teams that consistently meet department and corporate objectives. Sitting for the CPA exam in 2011.
Cash Flow Statement
Financial Statement Preparation
Internal and External Reporting
Sarbanes-Oxley, GAAP, FASB compliance
Talent Acquisition and Development
CPA Exam – 2011
David Hawkins, MBA's Experience
Accounting Manager - Western Division
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
January 2011 – Present (3 years 9 months)
Van Wagner is the leading outdoor advertising company with a high profile presence in New York and Los Angeles. In 1997, the original company sold substantially all the tangible assets of the original Van Wagner. Yet, the entire senior team, the company's name, its fledgling sports signage business was retained and got right back to work. The same team created the extraordinary growth of the new Van Wagner ("Van Wagner II"). Today, Van Wagner is one of the largest Out of Home media companies in the United States.
Controller / Senior Consultant
April 2008 – February 2011 (2 years 11 months)
Finance, Financial Reporting, and Accounting Consultants
Clients included CIM Group, Roll International, KB Urban, NBC / Universal, Mojo, Inc., Curtco Publishing.
• Completed financial reporting package for investors of CIM Group with 6 investment funds with $10B in assets (Monthly, 10K, 10Q) using Yardi Voyager and converting quarterly investor reports using crystal reports. Prepared cash basis and accrual basis financial reports insuring year end M1 schedules are accurate for external CPA’s.
• Consolidated financial monthly and quarter end close package including Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Cash Flow. Completed monthly and quarterly reconciliations. Prepared financial package for distribution to management and stake holders. Prepared quarterly package for external auditors review.
• Designed and implemented financial analysis process, procedures, controls manual (SOX) and financial consolidation reporting template for Curtco Publishing which resulted in $250K savings annually by reducing reporting and consolidation time. Process included eliminating duplication efforts.
• Provided all financial analysis, corporate reporting templates and analysis for theme park, City Walk, owned and operated facilities including monthly consolidation for NBC / Universal, resulting in monthly financial close within five days and quarterly close within 3 days.
First Capital Financial Resources
January 2007 – April 2008 (1 year 4 months)
• Implemented financial close to be completed within 5 days of end of month, including Balance Sheet reconciliations, Income Statement variance analysis and Cash Flow statement. Executive summary statement with highlights and explanations of variances for management review.
• Participated in annual budget, quarterly forecast, and monthly variance analysis with monthly executive summary reflecting variance to budget and forecast. Responsible for monthly financial close.
• Designed and implemented accounting process, procedures, controls manual. Reduced payroll by $125K in the elimination of duplication processes. Prepared external reports for financial institutions and reporting agencies.
• Developed project construction, accounting process and reporting package while training of accounting and finance team. This accomplished fully functional cross-trained accounting and finance team and supported the demands of senior management and built trust within the department for timely, accurate, responsive financial reports.
• Managed 4 employees including accounting manager, senior accountant and accountant.
RockWest Technology Group
August 2004 – December 2006 (2 years 5 months)
Provided accounting, executive reporting, analysis and consolidation for 6 separate companies
• Implemented sequel based accounting system while designing and implementing processes for management reporting and review. Consolidated 4 companies to a corporate level while maintaining division level financial statements and reducing back of house operations in 3 divisions – annual savings $250,000.
• Developed and trained accounting and finance teams (6 Individuals) which improved stability within the department and reliability of financial reporting to senior management.
• Managed 5 employees including human resource manager, senior financial analyst, accounts receivable clerk, accounts payable clerk, and human resource clerk.
London Financial Group
August 2001 – August 2004 (3 years 1 month)
Responsibility for finance, accounting, consolidation of $100 million financial services company; implemented monthly close which included 5 day close, balance sheet, income statement, cash flow, analysis, and executive summary.
• Managed, designed and implemented fully integrated MAS 500 Accounting System to handle complex accounting transactions and reporting of all entities including all inter-company transactions.
• Designed and implemented processes for management reporting and review.
• Provided all accounting, executive reporting and analysis for 11 separate companies and the consolidation of these companies, including the reconciliation of trust accounts.
• Reduced Accounts Receivable from 97 days to 33 days by implementing aging reports, minimum calls, transaction reports, and weekly meetings which
• Responsible for the management of 10 team members including 4 assistant controllers, 2 senior financial analysts and 4 accounting clerks.
December 1999 – August 2001 (1 year 9 months)
Clients included Amusement Development Group and Entertainment Development Group. Project manager responsibilities included implementation and development of banking relationships, accounting department development, and financial reporting for two independent start-up operations.
• In charge of corporate finance, investment finance, capital formation and long-range corporate planning, annual budget, five-year plan, and investor reporting.
• Implemented investment fundraising programs, developed financial business plans, forecasting, trade show planning and representation. Instrumental in raising capital: $1.5M for software development start-up.
• Australian based Start-up Company in United States - responsible for implementation, development and completion of financial systems (POS, Accounting Systems) and construction accounting.
• Led project management efforts for start-up operations in Times Square, including clubs, restaurants and virtual reality family entertainment center. Directly responsible for managing the capital budgeting process.
• Directed operations, budgeting, capital cost and fund raising efforts. Instrumental in raising $15 million in mezzanine capital to carry company through build-out and pre-opening costs.
Duty Free Shoppers
1991 – 1999 (8 years)
Directly responsible for budgeting, forecasting, capital development, analysis, treasury, human resources, foreign currency exchange, off-shore accounting and application of international accounting principles while managing 27 direct reports.
• Managed a multi-million dollar division with full P&L responsibility for budgeting, forecasting, analysis, government relations, tax, treasury and financial profitability, 10Q and 10K reporting responsibilities.
• Scope of responsibilities included incremental and lease/buy analysis, expansion analysis, site selection, negotiation of lease terms, lease compliance, expense control, gross margin performance, tax, financial accounting/reporting and due diligence contract review.
• Re-wrote tax law passed by legislature and signed by governor regarding ad-valorem taxes saving company $12M annually.
• Financial planning activities included the development of operating and capital budgets and the analysis of new project requests to validate business cases and return on investment.
David Hawkins, MBA's Education
MBA, Finance and Accounting
2008 – 2009
BS, Finance and Business Economics
John Burroughs High School
David Hawkins, MBA's Additional Information
Contact David for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- reference requests
- getting back in touch