Freelance Chinese to English translator
- Translation and Localization
|Recommendations||2 people have recommended Dariush|
Join LinkedIn and access Dariush's full profile. It's free!
As a LinkedIn member, you'll join 300 million other professionals who are sharing connections, ideas, and opportunities.
- See who you know in common
- Get introduced
- Contact Dariush directly
A resourceful and detail oriented freelance Chinese to English translator with over 4 years of translation experience. I am a native speaker of English and have lived for over 6 years in Taipei. I translate texts of Simplified, Traditional and Classical Chinese into high quality English. When translating I strive to both embrace the spirit of the original Chinese text and create a seamless translation which reads as an authentic piece should.
I completed an MA in C-E Translating, and T&I Diploma at Newcastle University (UK), where I received training from Linguists and translators at the top of their respective fields. I am also a full member of the Chartered Association of Linguists (MCIL), and a Certified PRO on ProZ.com.
I have three specialist areas of translation: art, literature and video game localization.
- I have a solid background in art (BA in Fine Art) and have exhibited my own work in galleries and public spaces. I am very interested in Chinese art, especially paintings (ancient and modern). I have translated several art texts, some of which have been published.
- I have an interest in Chinese poetry and literature. I have translated a broad selection of poetry and literary texts. A collection of 39 poems by Wang Guozhen which I have translated has recently been published:
- I have conducted around 30 years of research into video games, and have worked with industry leaders to localize various smash hit games. Many of which are available on iOS, Android and PC. This has involved translating and proofreading in the region of 2 million characters.
I translate Chinese texts (Traditional, Simplified and Classical) into high quality English. I work with numerous translation agencies across America, Asia and Europe.
Over the past two years I have worked on multiple video game localisation projects, translating and proofreading well over a million characters.
My areas of specialism include: Chinese art, video games, literature, tourism and travel.
Selected by the IoL Educational Trust to mark the transcripts of candidates hoping to pass the prestigious DipTrans exam (Chinese into English strand).
In the 'Subtitle Translation Module' - I mark the Mandarin into English subtitle homework, and provide critical feedback. In the 'Information Technology for Translators and Interpreters Module' - I work as a TA, demonstrating the taught elements of the class.
I translated the subtitles (Chinese to English) of the Taiwanese movie: Once Upon A Time In Kinmen (巨獸), which was directed by Chun-Han Shi (施君涵). The movie has won the ‘Merit Award’ of the ‘Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood’: http://www.hollywoodcff.com/2011_Merrit_Winners_(Winter).html, and has been shortlisted for several other awards.
I taught a wide range of group classes, including: Business English, conversation English, and presentation English. I gave seminars on British culture to Taiwanese officials. I have also taught many specialised private classes.
I designed a working syllabus for an English school aimed at teaching adult students from beginner to advanced. I also taught several of the classes I had designed.
A collection of 39 poems by renowned modern poet Wang Guozhen.
Certified Pro– Present
- Specialised Translation (Distinction)
- Translation Studies 2 (Distinction)
- Literary Translation (Distinction)
- Subtitle Translation (High Merit)
- Chinese to English Translation (Distinction)
- Translation Studies 1 (Distinction)
- Poetry Translation (Merit)
- Research Methods (High Merit)
- Translation Project (High Merit)
EnglishNative or bilingual proficiency
Traditional ChineseFull professional proficiency
Simplified ChineseFull professional proficiency
- Chinese Art
- Chinese to English...
- Subtitle translation
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- Travel and Tourism
- Language Teaching
- Foreign Languages
- See 6+ See less
I am the only native speaker of English to have completed the Chinese to English Translating MA course of Newcastle University, which is considered the most prestigious Chinese-English T&I course in the UK, and is rated by the international community as being one of the top three Chinese-English T&I courses in the world.
Activities and Societies: Class Representative
I studied at the Mandarin Training Centre of Chinese Culture University for three years. I had 14 contact hours per week, and a similar amount of homework. I studied the following Chinese language modules: Beginner, Advanced Beginner, Lower Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Lower Advanced, and Advanced. I achieved grades of 90% and above for each module.
Search by name
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
People Also Viewed
Translation Project Manager at Dialogue
Chinese/English Translation and Localization Professional
Translator at the Taipei Times
Conference Interpreter/translator in Shanghai
Master of Arts for Translation and Interpretation Monterey Institute of International Studies
Assistant Professor at National Taiwan University
Chinese to English Translator/Editor at Linguitronics
Freelance Interpreter/Translator (Chinese and English)
Senior Lecturer in Translating and Interpreting