- Greater New York City Area
- Writing and Editing
Daniel Perez's Overview
- Freelance Writer/Editor at Perez Consulting
- Managing Editor at Jewish Voice
- Counselor / Direct Care Worker at Ohel-Bais Ezra
- Security Officer at AlliedBarton Security Services
- Office Assistant at Udall Foundation
- Photographer at The University of Arizona
- City University of New York-John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- University of Arizona
- David Shapell College of Jewish Studies
University of Pécs, Hungary
Daniel Perez's Summary
Experienced writer with an eye for detail, and significant international, ecumenical, and cross-cultural experience. Academic background in Political Science and Middle East History.
My work as a journalist, op-ed columnist, and marketing professional has been featured by dozens of publications and news outlets, including the Jewish Press, Israel's Arutz Sheva, and Ami Magazine.
Daniel Perez's Experience
January 2013 – Present (1 year 10 months) Brooklyn, NY
Self-employed as a copywriter, news reporter, and media consultant. Services rendered include but are not limited to the following:
• Reporting on local events for various publications and news outlets.
• Writing original PR materials for private, corporate, and non-profit clients.
• Drafting copy for a broad spectrum of business purposes, such as official
correspondence, advertisements, product packaging, brochures, websites, etc.
• Promoting stories to local and international media to facilitate wider publication.
• Freelance proofreading and editing.
Public Company; 11-50 employees; Newspapers industry
March 2011 – October 2012 (1 year 8 months) Brooklyn, NY
Served as senior news editor of the Jewish Voice, a weekly publication available throughout the New York City metropolitan area, as well as select locations in New Jersey and Florida. The JV covers current events of interest to the Jewish community, both local and international, with a heavy emphasis on the Middle East, as well as special sections on defense and counter-terrorism news. During my time as editor, the Jewish Voice underwent dramatic improvement, both in stylistic terms, and in the quality of its content. My duties there included but were not limited to:
• Recruiting new employees, volunteers, and news sources.
• Proof-reading and editing copy for publication.
• Filling a wide range of journalistic roles, including: political commentary, analysis of foreign affairs and national security issues, investigative reporting and cultural criticism.
• Serving as a liaison to business leaders, government officials, and community institutions at local events (press conferences, academic symposia, political functions, fundraising galas, etc.) and via phone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
• Managing the Jewish Voice's website, social networking initiatives, and online marketing campaign.
Counselor / Direct Care Worker
Nonprofit; 1001-5000 employees; Nonprofit Organization Management industry
January 2009 – March 2011 (2 years 3 months)
I was employed as a direct care worker for Bais Ezra's Supportive Apartment Program, and later as senior counselor at a group home. While there, I:
• Oversaw two residences with three occupants each, and later a group
residence serving ten individuals, with developmental disabilities and/or
• Facilitated clients’ achievement of life goals and fostered their independence by training and assisting them in day-to-day tasks.
• Supervised direct care staff at group home, delegating assignments and
participating in the counseling and care of residents.
• Trained and maintained certification in crisis intervention and prevention, medication administration, and CPR.
• Operated a 15-passenger van to escort clients and staff to and from medical appointments, errands, and recreational activities.
• Oversaw and participated in the administration of medical treatments and recording of vital signs.
• Ensured that the personal needs of clients (medical, material, social, etc.) were met, both by direct one-on-one interaction, and in a supervisory capacity.
Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Security and Investigations industry
November 2007 – April 2008 (6 months)
• Provided access control for all personnel and visitors at Avnet Inc. offices by maintaining entry/exit logs, visual inspections, and adjusting proximity card clearance via computer.
• Monitored fire and burglar alarm systems; Surveillance of facilities by CCTV and foot patrol
• Performed general receptionist duties, such as forwarding phone calls, and delivering mail.
Educational Institution; 10,001+ employees; Higher Education industry
September 2005 – May 2006 (9 months)
• Helped maintain the university's online image bank.
• Produced original material for the semi-annual university Visitor Guide.
Daniel Perez's Languages
Daniel Perez's Skills & Expertise
- Copy Editing
- Microsoft Word
- Social Media
- Political Science
- Public Relations
- Press Releases
- News Writing
- Business Writing
- Interviewing Subject Matter Experts
- Online Marketing
- Middle Eastern History
- Interfaith Relations
- Comparative Religion
- Brand Development
- Online Journalism
Daniel Perez's Education
Master of Public Administration (MPA), Investigation and Operational Inspection / International Inspection and Oversight
2014 – 2015 (expected)
Currently pursuing a master's degree at John Jay College, public administration with an emphasis in investigative work -- seeking out internship / fellowship / research / career opportunities in line with that degree as well as my prior education and work experience.
B.A., Political Science, Near Eastern Studies
2002 – 2006
While at the University of Arizona, I was very actively involved with student leadership at the University of Arizona Hillel Foundation. At various times, chaired the orthodox students' association at religious studies groups.
Also, spent numerous semesters abroad, two in Istanbul, Turkey, and one in the south of Hungary.
Activities and Societies: Hillel
David Shapell College of Jewish Studies
2007 – 2007
University of Pécs, Hungary
2006 – 2006
Academic exchange on the pilot run of the University of Arizona’s “Arizona in Hungary” program, Sept. – Dec. 2006
2004 – 2005
Academic exchange via SUNY Binghamton, Sept. 2004 – June 2005. Coursework included Turkish political history and language, as well as international law.
Daniel Perez's Additional Information
Travel, Foreign Languages and Cultures, Cooking and Dining Out, Poker, Word Games
- Groups and Associations:
- Honors and Awards:
Gilman International Scholarship
Contact Daniel for:
View Daniel Perez’s full profile to...
- See who you and Daniel Perez know in common
- Get introduced to Daniel Perez
- Contact Daniel Perez directly