AVP Information Systems at 1st Financial Bank USA
- North Sioux City, South Dakota (Sioux City, Iowa Area)
Bill Powell's Overview
- AVP Information Systems at 1st Financial Bank USA
Bill Powell's Experience
AVP Information Systems
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Financial Services industry
June 2012 – Present (2 years 4 months) Dakota Dunes, SD
Manage the enterprise-wide technology operations and telecommunications activities.
IT Project Manager/Lab Information Management System Administrator
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; CF; Chemicals industry
January 2009 – July 2012 (3 years 7 months) Sioux City, Iowa Area
Provide project management for multiple IT projects for several of CF’s business departments including:
- Implementation of a Lab Information Management System (LIMS) including a Corrective Action/Preventative Action (CAPA) module for multiple plants. This included deployment of middleware for creating an interface between SAP and the client server application. I also provide program administration support for the application along with maintaining reports developed in JASPER.
- Managed the SDLC and implementation of functional enhancements to SAP for a scheduling and logistics package.
- Provide project management and system support for various SAP application changes to support the business.
- Coordinate and communicate activities between all company sites for the conversion of a new SharePoint intranet site and upgrade to Microsoft Office 2010.
- Coordinate and communicate tasks to decommission the company’s AS/400. This involved managing a contractor responsible for exporting all files from the system and preparing the data to be imported into another database platform.
Director of Operations
June 2007 – November 2008 (1 year 6 months) Sioux Falls, South Dakota Area
- Data center management including facilities, HVAC, security, power, and network connectivity.
- Provided project management for application and infrastructure installations.
- Supervised systems/network engineers that maintained the infrastructure environment for our clients. This included infrastructure for web hosting (Linux/Windows), iSCSI SAN, managed servers, co-location servers, network connectivity with BGP, VMWare setup, data storage, shared mail servers, and monitoring.
- Maintained a relationship with sales department to provide hardware and services quotes to prospective clients. This included procurement, network/system design, network bandwidth, and services.
- Maintained a relationship with our accounting department to provide accountability between our contracts and invoices.
- Provided vendor/contract management with our ISP contracts, facility maintenance contracts, and purchasing vendors.
Manager, Systems Engineering
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Food Production industry
August 2005 – September 2006 (1 year 2 months) LeMars, IA
- Managed engineers responsible for design, deployment, and support of the Wells’ Windows, Unix/Linux/AIX, and SAN infrastructure.
- 60 servers for the ERP, CRM, HR, and database infrastructure with approximately 50 terabytes of SAN storage for test, development, and production environments.
- Server hardware included HP, Dell, IBM Blades, and IBM pSeries.
- Storage predominately on EMC Symmetrix hardware with an HP EVA used for test and development.
- Clustering utilized to maintain high availability using MC/Serviceguard on the HP platform and HACMP for IBM AIX platform.
- 80 servers for the mail, storage, web, and applications infrastructure with approximately 10 terabytes of NAS storage for user and departmental storage.
- Server hardware was predominately Dell, Dell Blades and HP/Compaq servers.
- Storage consisted of two NetWins frames.
- Clustering technology consisted of Microsoft Cluster Server and also the use of MS Virtual Server to provide for failover and redundancy.
- Vendor relations with several Value Added Resellers to purchase hardware, software, and consulting services.
- Coordinated the purchase of 2 IBM p570 AIX servers to replace 2 HP rp8400 database servers. Worked with several VARs to determine the hardware platform and statement of work needed to replace existing hardware. The budget for this project was $1 million.
- Provided project management support for major projects between the IS applications and technical teams.
- This included project management for the installation of 2 IBM pSeries servers to replace 2 HP rp8400s being used as database servers for the company’s 400 Gb Oracle ERP database. This was a 5 month project and involved managing internal and consultant resources.
- Worked with the legal department to finalize purchasing, leasing, and licensing agreements between Wells’ and our vendors.
- Training and work experience in TPM (Total Process Management) fundamentals and processes.
Senior Manager, IT Applications and Infrastructure
Privately Held; 5001-10,000 employees; Computer Hardware industry
January 1995 – August 2005 (10 years 8 months) North Sioux City, SD
- Responsible for overseeing external hosting agreements between Gateway and our ASPs. I was the account liaison responsible for ensuring that the infrastructure was available and sized correctly from a hardware and network perspective in order to support our user community. This included development, test, user acceptance, staging, training, and production environments.
- Managed the Service Level Agreements as defined in the contracts and provided status reports to upper management.
- Provided system integration support to insure that the hosted applications did not interfere with the rest of the applications deployed in our environments.
- Worked with the Legal department to review contract agreements with hosting companies.
Assistant Director, Business Research Bureau
Educational Institution; 1001-5000 employees; Higher Education industry
June 1979 – January 1995 (15 years 8 months) Vermillion, SD
- Assistant Director & Technical Services Manager for the Information Systems Division of the Business Research Bureau.
- Provided computer & network support for the faculty and staff in the USD School of Business as well as our contact clients.
- Network Coordinator for a Novell Netware 3.11 Token Ring LAN servicing the faculty and staff of the USD School of Business.
- AS/400 System Manager for an IBM AS/400 model F10 being used in a Synon application development environment.
- Communications Manager for maintaining the network link to the campus backbone which provided access to the Internet and an IBM 3174 controller. The AS/400 was used for 3270 emulation to an IBM ES 9000 as well as for pass thru sessions to 2 other remote AS/400's connected via 56 Kbps lines on an APPN network. The AS/400's are being implemented into the State's wide area network plan. The WAN will eventually replace the current SNA network of 7 IBM 3174 controllers on multi-drop leased lines.
- Programming experience with COBOL, PL/1, FORTRAN, SAS, Natural, and MVS JCL on an IBM ES 9000 mainframe.
Bill Powell's Education
Bill Powell's Additional Information
Contact Bill for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- job inquiries
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch