Freelance Audio Engineer & Production Manager
- Melbourne, Australia
- Events Services
Bek Varcoe's Overview
- Audio Engineer at Freelance
- Production Manager at Freelance
- Sessional Teacher at Victoria University
- Live and OB Tech at Triple R Broadcasters
- Systems/FOH at POWA Productions
- Audio Engineer at Total Event Services
- Manager at Production Works
- A/V and FOH sound operator, operations, hire enquiries, administration, reception. at Pink Noise Audio
- House Engineer and Volunteers Coordinator, at Jets Studios, Banyule City Council
- Outside Broadcast Coordinator at PBSFM 106.7
- Charles Sturt University
- Killara High School
Bek Varcoe's Experience
1996 – Present (18 years) Melbourne, Australia
Current regular Audio work:
National Gallery of Victoria (Senior Technicican)
The Victorian Arts Centre,(Casual tech)
Geelong Performing Arts Centre (Casual tech)
Victoria University (Tech Officer)
Triple R, FOH engineer for various bands
FOH for Underground Lovers, the Orbweavers,
The Graduate at Her Majesty's Theatre (Sx Op) for JPJ
Beauty and the Beast full produciton at Zoo Twilight (FOH) for JPJ
System Tech for Bernadette Peters, Her Majesty's Theatre
"The Etta James Story" (FOH Op) for Room 8 Productions
Dinosaur Petting Zoo (SxOp) for ERTH at the Fairfax Theatre
I am comfortable in all kinds of situations from the most modest of setups to large festival rigs and am experienced on all sorts of consoles, both analogue and digital. Happy doing monitors as well as Front of House.
January 2013 – Present (1 year 9 months)
If you have an event but you don't know where to start with your audio, staging, power and other technical requirements, how much you need or how much you will have to pay, I can help you. I can provide advice and service for any budget whether you are a charity or a corporation. From the very first germ of an idea to the day of the event itself, I can guide you through and take the stress of production away, and save you money.
Recent Production Management Jobs:
Leaps and Bounds Music Festival
Smith Street Dreaming
BioCSL Annual Sales Conference
Educational Institution; 1001-5000 employees; Higher Education industry
March 2012 – Present (2 years 7 months) Yarraville
I teachCertificate IV in Live Sound
Live and OB Tech
Public Company; Myself Only; Media Production industry
2006 – Present (8 years) East Brunswick, Melbourne
RRR are Australia’s largest community radio station.
Their performance space has a capacity of 200 that regularly hosts live-to-airs and intimate concerts.
Artists I have mixed for RRR include; Cloud Control, Lisa Miller, Megan Washington, The Audreys, Little Red, Jurassic 5, PJ Harvey, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Goldfrapp, Paul Kelly.
2006 – 2013 (7 years)
At Powa I worked with EV X Array, and the XLC, XLD, and XLE systems. We use Systune and IRISnet. Powa carry Heritage Series consoles and the Midas Pro Series Digital consoles. I was regularly employed doing Front of House and System Teching for all sorts of events from Corporate shows to Festivals.
Public Company; 11-50 employees; Events Services industry
April 2011 – November 2011 (8 months) Darwin, Northern Territory
This was a "Dry Season" contract, a six month stint berfore settling back in Melbourne.
TES runs XLC and XLD systems. I was Monitor Engineer for larger concerts, and also fulfilled a variety of roles on corporate shows and gigs, as well loading trucks, prepping and de-prepping hires and productions.
July 2009 – December 2010 (1 year 6 months) Hobart, Tasmania
Production Works is a staging, backline, audio, lighting, and A/V company.
They run (or used to run) Midas Pro9, XLC and X array systems.
My role was mainly focused on streamlining internal processes and systems and overseeing several changes in the factory during a time of upgrade and refurbishment.
House Engineer and Volunteers Coordinator,
Jets Studios, Banyule City Council
1997 – 2001 (4 years) Bundoora, Melbourne
Designed and supervised the construction of the Recording studio; budgeted for and purchased all equipment.
Engineered dozens of EP’s, singles and full length projects in the studio, from choirs to heavy metal.
Coordinated a team of volunteers and trained them to manage the studio unsupervised.
Formulated and conducted many short courses and workshops for young people in the Banyule area
Outside Broadcast Coordinator
1994 – 1999 (5 years) St Kilda, Melbourne
I Production Managed all outside broadcasts, and provided audio engineering services as well.
For example, during an event like Wangaratta International Festival of Jazz and Blues, there were three studios running three stages, with two roving interview units and editing personnel working all weekend, with the live show being broadcast nationally on the final day of the Festival.
All labour was on a volunteer basis, and my team won the Community Broadcasting Association’s award for Best OB in 1996.
Bek Varcoe's Summary
A professional audio engineer with over 18 years’ experience mixing live sound in a huge variety of situations, from corporate events, to major band tours. HR license and Level 1 First Aid, WWC, White Card.
• Production Manager Stanley Street Party, City of Yarra, 2013
• Melbourne and Sydney Bridal Expo Op, April and May 2013
• Tech Management for Sleep at the G, CityMission and the MCG, April 2013
• Port Fairy Folk Festival, (FOH Op and System tech) 2008-2013
• Queenscliff Music Festival (FOH System Tech and operator, main stage) Dec 2011, 2012
• Monitor Op Celtic Festival Portarlington Main stage 2012
• FOH System Tech Knox Carols 2012
• FOH System Tech/Op PM Moreland Carols 2012
• FOH System Tech Soundwave Stage 5 2012, 2013
• Victoria Park Reopening Event Nov 2011 FOH
• Monitors for David Campbell at Darwin Cup Gala 2011
• Ten Days On The Island Monitor Operator 2011
• Falls Festival (FOH System tech Field Stage) 2008/9
• House Tech Thornbury Theatre 2008-current
• Wangaratta Festival of Jazz and Blues FOH 2000-Current
• Melbourne International Jazz Festival FOH/Stage/Driver various years
• Numerous Council Festivals, Carols by Candlelight, Community Events, etc.
• Playschool (Driver, Sound, 2012)
• Black Cab (FOH East Coast 2010)
• Sophie Koh (FOH East Coast 2008)
• The Devastations, (FOH Europe, 2007)
• 2007 Black Cab (FOH Europe, 2007)
• Machine Translations (FOH East coast and capitals, 2005)
• Clare Bowditch and the Feeding Set (FOH East coast and capitals, 2005)
• Matt Walker and the Necessary Few (Extensive Regional, 2002)
Specialties: Live to Air Broadcast mixing, FOH operating, Monitor operating, stage management, tech and production management for music and community events.
Bek Varcoe's Skills & Expertise
- Live Sound
- Audio Engineering
- Sound Reinforcement
- Audio Mixing
- Stage Management
- Volunteer Coordination
- Lateral Thinking
- Client Relationship Building
- Able To Work Under Pressure
- Event Management
- Working With Children
- Volunteer Management
- Professional Audio
- Video Editing
- Corporate Events
- Live Events
- Production Managment
- Audio Editing
- Musical Theatre
- Stage Lighting
- Music Production
Bek Varcoe's Courses
- 2006 MYOB Accounts and Payroll –Dynamic Web Training
- 1999 Increasing Awareness of Disability Issues, State Training Board, Vic
- 2005 “Debt Collection – the New Guidelines” Seminar
- 1996 Certificate in Office Administration, Holmesglen Tafe
- 1995 Train The Trainer, Monash Professional Development Centre
- 2013 First Aid Level 1 - St Johns Ambulance
Bek Varcoe's Education
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Television and Sound
1990 – 1992
Killara High School
1983 – 1988
Bek Varcoe's Additional Information
- Groups and Associations:
Bek Varcoe's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Causes I care about:
- Animal Welfare
- Arts and Culture
- Human Rights
- Poverty Alleviation
Contact Bek for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Bek Varcoe’s full profile to...
- See who you and Bek Varcoe know in common
- Get introduced to Bek Varcoe
- Contact Bek Varcoe directly