Technical Specialist at Syntel
- Chennai Area, India
- Information Technology and Services
Vivek Cherian's Overview
- Technical Specialist (Virtualization, Cloud Computing) at Syntel
- Application Specialist (Virtualization, Cloud Computing) at CSS Corp
- Senior System Administrator (Messaging) at Netcore Solutions Pvt Ltd
- System Administrator (Cloud) at oCricket.com
- Short Term Visitor at Homi Bhaba Center for Science Education ,Tata Institute of Fundamendal Research, Mumbai
- Systems Administrator(Web/Email Hosting) at Directi
- Systems Administrator at DeepRoot Linux Pvt Ltd
- Technology Infrastructure Engineer at Data Foundations, Inc (Now Software AG)
- Subject Matter Expert at HIFX IT & Media Services Private Limited
- Kuvempu University,Shimoga, Karnataka.
- Chinmaya Vidyalaya,Tripunithura, Cochin,Kerala,India.
Vivek Cherian's Summary
Technical Lead experienced in handling extremely demanding environments ranging
from small start ups with about 5-15 employees to large corporates with 22000 + employees.
Vivek Cherian's Experience
Technical Specialist (Virtualization, Cloud Computing)
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; SYNT; Information Technology and Services industry
January 2014 – Present (9 months) Chennai
Responsible for tasks allocation to resources, following up on progress, facilitate regular team meetings, discuss and review targets and co-ordinate with the appropriate project stake holders.
Act as the point of technical escalation and resolution during the project life cycle as it relates to technical decisions.
Requirements gathering,based on technical services group standards and procedures and discussions with project staff, industry experts and technical vendors.
Assistance in scoping, identification of project deliverables, and driving the creation of project specific functional specifications,technical specifications, etc.
Pro actively work with delivery team to ensure that appropriate staffing resources are assigned, put in place, and effectively utilized at the appropriate time.
Qualify and provide definition to technical strategy by performing evaluations and assessments on the various technical aspects of Intellectual property development activities in the Cloud CoE lab.
Work with quality assurance resources to create test plans and ensure that issues are properly assigned, fixed, and regressed.
Provide technical consultancy to project staff and participate in business development efforts including proposals,Proof of Concepts,development plans and presentations.
Will consult clients on OpenStack setup and orchestration.
Will be responsible for end to end installation and configuration of OpenStack including scripting.
Will work in labs to understand and implement the latest versions of OpenStack.
Keep abreast of industry trends and advancements in Cloud/Data Center orchestration area.
Application Specialist (Virtualization, Cloud Computing)
Privately Held; 5001-10,000 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
August 2011 – December 2013 (2 years 5 months) Chennai Area, India
Responsible for creating/enhancing/sustaining solutions using various Open source products.
Interact with our technology partners on one side and our clients/prospects on the other side to design and fine tune solutions based on the needs of the clients/prospects.
Conduct research on the open source market, key technologies and products in the Open Source arena, development/business/licensing models adopted by Open Source companies etc.
Understand technology choices adopted by various Open Source projects well
Will be responsible for interacting the engineering teams of technology partners.
Roles and Responsibilities:-
- Requirements gathering & Solutioning
- Enhance existing solutions
- Update our solutions based on the developments in technology and on the evalution of the key
- Conceptualize, design and develop new solutions based on market needs
- Keep abreast of the developments in the technologies/products that the company supports.
- Work with the clients for validating the solutions proposed
- Co-ordinate with the partner contacts for any technical pre sales support required
- Work with the delivery team to do POCs for the prospects
- Provide training to the delivery teams on the solution stack
Senior System Administrator (Messaging)
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
September 2009 – August 2011 (2 years)
Remote Administration of globally distributed high volume Email Infrastructure of Netcore which includes Email, Mass Mail, Anti Spam servers.
This includes but is not limited to Large Installation, Large Volume Data Migration, Secure Remote Technical Support (SRTS) of Postfix, MailScanner, ClamAV, Cyrus, Fetchmail, SpamAssassin, SquirrelMail, Horde, OpenLDAP, Squid, DansGuardian, Jabber, NetFilter/Iptables of both the Netcore IDC Hosted Servers and also Remote Corporate Email Servers.
PostgreSQL, MySQL Database Administration as and when required.
Administer the DNS Service of Netcore running BIND.
Remote Installation and Configuration of Email Archiving Solutions based on Mail
Archiva (Emergic Mail Array) for International Clients.
Administer the Mass Mail Setup of Netcore (Emergic Mass Mail), including warming of I.P Addresses, I.P Address Allocation, Real time monitoring of Mass Mail Servers and Email Deliverability and resolve the bottlenecks within very quick time frames often in seconds.
Planning and Implementing Data backup (Mail & MySql) solutions for the IDC hosted
Emergic Mass Mail setup.
Abuse Desk Administrator at Abuse AT netcore DOT co DOT in.
Resolve escalations requested by junior system administrators on the floor and on call.
Designed and implemented a private cloud based on Eucalyptus and provided solutions to
migrate some of the existing IDC infrastructure to AWS.
System Administrator (Cloud)
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Sports industry
November 2008 – May 2009 (7 months) Mumbai Area, India
Systems Administrator(Web/Email Hosting)
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Internet industry
November 2007 – October 2008 (1 year)
Operations ownership of projects using Linux and Linux application stacks (LAMP, Ruby, Postgres, Java, Python etc)
Responsible for setup and uptime of large Linux deployments (100s of servers)
Configure and optimize mail servers, web servers, cache servers, db servers, vps and cloud servers etc
Incident analysis/RCAs/troubleshooting and identification of permanent resolutions
Liaison with customer support teams and resolve customer issues.
Recommend/implement automated processes for scaling operations
Puppet configuration management
Plan & automate migrations.
Plan and execute service/site maintenance schedules.
Contribute to the operations handbook.
Pro-actively monitor product/services/site performance, uptime, availability and analyze logs / metrics.
Participate on on-call rotation for fixing service downtime incidents.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Software industry
August 2007 – October 2007 (3 months) Bangalore
Involve in the various Free/Open source development efforts both at DeepRoot Linux
Pvt Ltd professionally and also elsewhere as a means of contributing to the
Free/Open source (FOSS) movement.
Remote Administration of Corporate DeepOfix GNU/Linux Servers located in the
Lead and develop training programs that helps clients build their Free/Open Source
Technology Infrastructure Engineer
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Software industry
February 2007 – August 2007 (7 months) Cochin Area, India
Architecting,building and overseeing the maintenance and support of the technology infrastructure needed for the smooth operation of the office, covering computer hardware and installed software, networking, voice/telephone technology,and related aspects.
Act as a subject matter expert for Infrastructure components of Data Foundations’ commercial software products, including Java application server support, database support, installation packages and processes.
Subject Matter Expert
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
March 2006 – February 2007 (1 year)
• Architect and Deploy Open Source Solutions as per client requirements.
• Plan, design, research and over see the creation of a range of documents, technical specifications, training materials, user policies, and proposals, for both print and online media.
• Create learning content and course ware material for topics in Open source technologies.
• Stay current with the newest online technologies; research new technologies in Open Source realm and make recommendations on training titles and methodology.
• Collaborate with systems and development staff to collect and interpret technical information.
• Design high-level flow diagrams and GUI form charts for use in GUI specifications and architectures.
• Collaborate with business analysts, Web designers, and software developers to ensure prototypes can be efficiently implemented.
Vivek Cherian's Skills & Expertise
- Enterprise Software
- Cloud Computing
- Process Automation
- Shell Scripting
- Open Source
- System Administration
- High Availability
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Red Hat Linux
- Linux System Administration
- Distributed Systems
- Unix Shell Scripting
- System Architecture
- Contract Negotiation
- Solution Architecture
- Data Center
Vivek Cherian's Education
Kuvempu University,Shimoga, Karnataka.
Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
1997 – 2001
Chinmaya Vidyalaya,Tripunithura, Cochin,Kerala,India.
1984 – 1994