Usman Tariq Qazi
Senior Manager Tariff Management at China Mobile Pakistan (Zong)
Usman Tariq Qazi's Overview
- Senior Manager Tariff Management at CMPak, Pakistan
Usman Tariq Qazi's Summary
Usman Tariq Qazi
I have been Products and Pricing Senior Manager, Marketing Management Consultant, In-Database Mining Expert on Teradata and Masters in Business Administration with some experience in applications development as well. Advised marketing managers in Banking and Telecommunications businesses in Kuwait, Turkey and Pakistan on developing better targeted campaigns using data mining techniques on recorded consumer behavior data. Interested in marketing management roles with telecommunication related businesses.
Career Objective: To obtain a challenging, rewarding and long-term career where I can leveraging my experience in pricing, market research, consultancy, analytics, vendor management, and people management to propel the company and it's employees to greater profitability and success. I seek to create a work environment where the excitement and commitment to technology and it's efficient use is very high. I am equipped enough to guide and develop a high energy team that can continuously ensure delivery of business value and serving as a think tank for the strategists in every department. In a nut shell I seek a position where I can unleash my potential to create competitive advantage for the company through strategic use of information.
Specialties: pricing, market research, marketing, advertising and branding, product development, quality assurance in manufacturing, export marketing, management consultancy, data mining, advanced analytics
Usman Tariq Qazi's Experience
Senior Manager Tariff Management
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Telecommunications industry
September 2013 – Present (1 year 1 month) Islamabad, Pakistan
As Senior Manager Tariff Management, my responsibilities include leading the pricing team in the following areas:
• Building business cases for tariff launch and adjustments
• Directing BI to develop appropriate reports for tariff management
• Performing margin and tariff analysis to support key business initiatives as required
• Analyzing market dynamics, pricing trends, market opportunities, operating and sales margins in order to develop reports and procedures for tariff management.
• Direct market research, survey and focus groups for the purpose of tariff management.
• Appraising the executive management team of competition moves and updates.
Public Company; 201-500 employees; Telecommunications industry
August 2012 – September 2013 (1 year 2 months) Iraq
Strategic and tactical pricing for all of AsiaCell's prepaid/postpaid products and services including Voice, SMS, data and VAS.
As Pricing Expert, my responsibilities include
• Perform margin and pricing analysis to support key business initiatives as required.
• Perform monthly analysis of existing transactional level data to identify price/margin.
• Analyze market dynamics, pricing trends, market opportunities, operating and sales margins in order to develop reports, procedures and tools for pricing and quoting.
• Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Establish a system of documentation, communication and review of internal and external comparative price data, including wins and losses due to price
• Oversee the maintenance of historical pricing data.
• Provide regular and ad hoc pricing analysis and reporting for management.
• Lead market research, survey and focus groups for the purpose of pricing.
• Design pricing policies.
• Lead and direct the work of other pricing staff.
• Train and transfer knowledge to other staff.
Achievements: Set pricing for launch of MVAS portfolio based on worldwide benchmarking. Analyzed the recharge portfolio pricing and saved Asiacell from potential loss of $2Million from planned launch of lower denomination recharge scratch cards. Made business case for launching Autorenewal for prepaid & postpaid data bundles valued at $500K additional revenue p.a.
Launched daily, weekly and monthly data bundles with autorenewal valued at $11M additional revenue p.a. Developed 3G business case.
Tools: Simon Kutcher & Partners Pricing Tools set (van Westendorp & Gabor Granger, Tariff Curve Simulation, ComStrat, Wargaming, Benchmarking & White Spot Analysis).
Manager Advanced Analytics
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; TEL; Telecommunications industry
November 2009 – July 2012 (2 years 9 months)
As advanced analytics manager I am responsible for building and expanding Advanced Analytics Department. The core functions of Advanced Analytics department include:
1. Guiding marketing activities of Telenor with Advanced Analytics models and analyses.
2. Ramping up the number of Advanced Analytics Models built and run on monthly basis. These Advanced Analytics Models include (but are not limited to) prepaid & postpaid churn prediction, behavioral segmentation and Calling Circle Analysis / Social Network Analysis etc.
3. Ensuring use of analyses/models through integration with the campaign management, CRM and customer contact management systems.
4. Ensuring that Advanced Analytics team acts as a think tank to guide strategists in each of the front-end departments.
Successfully implemented and maintaining prepaid and postpaid churn prediction models with lifts that are above internationally accepted average lifts, a couple of behavioral segmentations that guide ATL/BTL marketing efforts and SNA. These models have been integrated with Campaign Mgmt System and other customer touch points like magic screen. Managing a team of talented and experienced data miners.
Manager CLM (Customer Lifecycle Mgmt)
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; TEL; Telecommunications industry
July 2009 – October 2009 (4 months)
As CLM manager, I used to perform following functions:
1. Develop and implement CLM strategy & roadmap and align it with organizational KPIs.
2. Promote the utilization of CLM as a strategic tool for retention and ARPU enhancement.
3. Ensure that a plan is developed /agreed with every internal customer to support its KPIs.
4. Ensure end to end smooth implementation of the campaigns as per plan.
5. Ensure development/improvement in systems and processes for campaign implementation and ensure that they are followed.
6. Introduce internal audits to ensure quality in implementation.
7. Ensure proper tracking / reporting of campaigns , budgets.
8. Ensure post campaign analysis is done to the satisfaction of the stakeholders.
9. Manage, develop, and maintain productive relationships with internal customers and partners.
10. Develop and lead the CLM team inculcating concepts of delegation of authority, responsibilities and ownership.
Successfully ramped up the daily BTL campaigns sent out via Bulk SMS broadcasts from 1 to 5 a day with an average monthly return of 7 times revenue versus the value of free minutes, free SMS and lucky draw prizes given out. Laid foundation for acquiring capability to execute campaigns via automated voice outbound calling that has successfully been implemented and is in use.
Manager Products and Pricing
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; Telecommunications industry
March 2008 – July 2009 (1 year 5 months) Islamabad, Pakistan
I used to perform the following functions:
1. Recommend profitable price points for all voice services based on the research insights, competitive standing, and internal subscriber behavior.
2. Prepare pricing models to evaluate the impact of any pricing move. Analyze impact on cannibalization and bottom line. Customize pricing for corporate clients.
3. Develop smart pricing products & bundles for capturing target segments & increase ARPUs. Familiarize and remain updated with all charging elements in the network.
4. Extract relevant data from the warehouse & run statistical analyses to give targeted offering in the market. Liaise with the research team to align subscriber preferences for different market segments.
5. Develop ongoing retention offers for dormant / churning customers and execute with the help of retention team for predictive churn management. Reduce and manage the churn rate to maximize profitability.
6. Align product pricing (Airtime) with SIM price, & recommend commission structures for new price schemes to maximize customer acquisition & help ensure availability, supporting the distribution team.
7. Closely liaise with the brand team for preparing effective price communication for target segments.
8. Support the CMO in developing & updating the Annual Marketing Plan and budget.
Launched 5 new prepaid tariffs in addition to Ufone’s current flagship price plan i.e. Uwon. Used discounted hours, step-charging, community calling and hour-long call discount on weekends in designing the price plans. Revised Pre & post paid international direct dialing tariffs. Launched 6 postpaid plans for business community. Launched community calling discounts for bulk sales of postpaid connections. Optimized the international calling tariffs to achieve maximum profitability while maintaining competitiveness. Retention offers and Changes in commissioning structure in the SIM supply chain.
Senior Analytics Consultant
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; TDC; Information Technology and Services industry
February 2006 – March 2008 (2 years 2 months)
1. Lead Presales, PoC, Planning, Scoping & Implementation of advanced analytics (AA) projects in Telecom and Banking sector in Middle East Africa (MEA) region.
2. Successfully completed churn prediction and behavioral segmentation projects at telecom operators in Kuwait and Pakistan.
3. Conducted a PoC for AA at Turkey’s largest and oldest bank.
4. As member of Advanced Business Analytics Center of Expertise (a team within the business development department) for the Europe-Middle East-Africa region, I was the single point of reference for cutting-edge predictive analytics advice to Teradata customers and prospects in Telecom, Retail, Manufacturing, Transportation and Financial Services Industries.
Associate Manager Marketing Research, Development and Exports
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Consumer Goods industry
June 2004 – February 2006 (1 year 9 months)
As Associate Manager Marketing R&D: achievements and responsibilities were in
1. Analyzing market trends, Anticipating the future and Advising the top management in reshaping the business strategy to meet future challenges
2. Devising market research systems and getting them implemented through R&D officers, regional sales teams and external parties
3. Own and Competitors brand tracking
4. Retail and Dealer level analysis on estimates of retail sales, stocks depletion to sales ratio and rates changes pattern
5. Consumer behavior and satisfaction surveys
6. Advising the Marketing and Advertising team on appropriate actions to be taken in maintaining and growing each brand’s market share
7. Tracking response of marketing and sales promotion schemes
8. Evaluating and appraising R&D officers and sales force performance
9. Conducting feasibility studies for prospective business development projects
As Associate Manager Marketing:
Directed package designing of three new products and promotional material
In exports: responsible for international marketing
Preparing for participation in international trade fairs e.g. Frankfurt am main
Market Research Intern
Engro Asahi Polymer and Chemicals Ltd.
June 2003 – August 2003 (3 months) Lahore, Pakistan
1. Conducted detailed market research and customer survey for Market Development Division, Pipes and Fittings Group of Marketing Department
2. Identified existing market segments
3. Calculated National market size for all types and sizes of pipes based on the survey results
Surveys & IT intern
December 2001 – June 2002 (7 months) Lahore, Pakistan
1. Conducted customer satisfaction survey of laboratories
2. Developed contact management database system for fund raising
3. Developed and launched official website: www.shalamarhospital.org.pk after liaison with hospital staff, customers and donors
Usman Tariq Qazi's Publications
Business Strategy for Locally Assembled Computer Brand
- Lahore University of Management Sciences
- July 16, 2004
Business Strategy for Locally Assembled Computer Brands, the paper covered all internal and external factors related to the business. Besides SWOT Analysis were conducted for the factors included competition and government policies towards the business.
Usman Tariq Qazi's Languages
Urdu(Native or bilingual proficiency)
English(Full professional proficiency)
Usman Tariq Qazi's Skills & Expertise
- Competitive Analysis
- Market Research
- Business Intelligence
- Data Mining
- Market Analysis
- Predictive Analytics
- Business Analysis
- Business Strategy
- Marketing Management
- Data Analysis
- Business Analytics
- Marketing Research
- Product Management
- Data Warehousing
- Management Consulting
- Campaign Management
- MS Office Suite
- Product Development
- Global Marketing
- Data Modeling
- Marketing Strategy
- Pricing Strategy
- Direct Marketing
- Market Intelligence
- Customer Analytics
- Decision Support
- Customer Experience
- Consumer Insights
- Business Management
- Product Marketing
- Revenue Management
- Team Management
Usman Tariq Qazi's Education
2002 – 2004
BCSIT, Computer Studies and Information Technology
1996 – 2001
*CGPA 4.00/4.00 high honor student.
*Valedictorian for the batch of 1996-2000 among graduates from all departments
Activities and Societies: *Teaching Assistantship for 2 years. *Member of Islamic Studies Club. Conducted peaceful group activities like organizing Friday payers congregation, weekly Quran recitation sessions, printing and disseminating pamphlets and flyers on religious information and poetry with approval of university management.
Pakistan Embassy School, Riyadh, KSA
Fellow of Computer Science, Maths, Computer Science, Physics
1994 – 1996
Usman Tariq Qazi's Additional Information
Contact Usman Tariq for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch