Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Web Development Swiss-army knife, Programmer, and Technical Communications Consultant
|Recommendations||10 people have recommended Tony|
Join LinkedIn & access Tony's full profile
I'm a solution finder who willingly dives deep into your project to produce the best results.
How can I help you? Web contact form:
Visit my music profile if you're interested:
My passion is people. My relationship with technology is deep.
Reporting to clients from a variety of sectors
• Developed custom PHP/MySQL web applications.
• Programmed Flash/ActionScript components.
• Sliced Photoshop PSD files to proper W3C-compliant HTML/CSS
• Developed strategies to improve online presence and content structure to improve search hits.
• Developed and wrote manuals, developer documents, business correspondence, and resumes.
• Trained through screen sharing technologies like TeamViewer, Adobe Connect, Mikogo, Google Hangouts, etc..
• Embarking into the area of video production and podcasting for training and presentation.
Under the direction of the Director of the Web Redevelopment project, Senior Content Strategist, Senior Usability Manager, Technical Team Lead, Web Operations Manager, and a Senior Project Manager:
• Facilitated requirements gathering workshops with business units.
• Won the involvement of departments previously resistant to the changed process.
• Programmed internal tools using MS Office VBA (Word, Excel) for crunching data, exporting code, and reporting completion status.
• Developed and coordinated website content along with other content strategists, writers, and designers.
• Developed custom jQuery modules to provide interactive graphics throughout the site.
• Designed a multi-stage interface to an HP TRIM document management system which involved custom components: web service, dynamic web scripts, .NET application, jQuery modules, and a desktop client.
• Developed C# .NET application interfaces to web services, both third party (Facebook) and custom (document management system)
• Prepared deployment/installation packages to release patches to the CMS.
I did a bunch more, but you would rather hear the stories than read about them.
Reporting to the President and CEO, and supporting a variety of project teams
• Wrote and illustrated software requirements specifications for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, and Android mobile applications, which shows my appreciation for the importance of planning in design.
• Documented the various business processes by interviewing the president, leads, project managers, and staff, which demonstrates my desire to gain high level understanding, and encourage teams to work more collaboratively and cross-functionally.
• Captured succinct but detailed technical meeting minutes, which proves to you that I quickly understand the details of the issues at stake in order to build an action plan moving forward.
Reporting to the President, and the Director, Systems Engineering and Application Support
• Researched, illustrated, wrote, and updated documentation to release hardware and embedded software used in Software Defined Radio (SDR), WiMAX, and Video Encoding and Transcoding systems, which demonstrates how I can communicate across a broad-range of technologies.
• Developed a framework for developer documentation, programmed VBA macros and the Ribbon UI to automate processes — including generating test code from Word tables, and upgraded web based tools used by the engineering department, which shows how I use my talents to make life easier.
Demo site: http://www.spectrumsignal.com
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Communications
Until Oct 2008:
• Wrote and edited hardware and firmware documentation to support the Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH), Residential Gateway (RG), Wireline, and Enterprise Storage Division (ESD) programs, which shows how my strong communication skills can bridge a wide variety of technological spaces.
• Programmed VBA macros to convert legacy content from Word to DocBook XML, and sourced the Mif2Go plug-in to convert unstructured FrameMaker files to DITA XML, which demonstrates my desire to automate repetitive processes to minimize effort and reduce potential for errors.
• Engaged development teams throughout North America, Shanghai, and Israel, a process that shows my sensitivity to cross-cultural issues, and my ability to build rapport with remote co-workers.
From Dec 2009 to Jun 2010
Working on an as-required basis with the Manager, Team Lead, and Lead XML Developer to complete short-term programming tasks to improve documentation processes and incorporate usability feedback:
• Document conversion: Updated VBA macros that convert Word to DocBook XML to be compatible with Word 2007, and Created a VBA macro to export cross-browser, W3C compliant SVG images from Visio.
• Eclipse info center upgrades: Added XHTML, CSS, and jQuery user interaction with roll up sidebars, expandable content areas, pop up video players, watermarks that display when printed, and a MediaWiki-based feedback system.
• Other related tool-support coolness.
Reporting to the Manager, Programs and Government Services
• Designed and completed a detailed, multi-layered set of work instructions for a Hydricity Pack prototype manufacturing line, which was instrumental in securing a deal with a major client.
• Wrote and illustrated various technical documents, floor plans, and schematics using information collected through interviewing manufacturing, engineering, prototyping, and systems personnel, direct involvement with building the product, taking photographs, and drawing sketches, which demonstrates that I am completely willing to go the distance to get the job done.
Reporting to the Director, Business Improvement
• Imported PeopleSoft report data into MS Access, to prototype reports which were later built into the system, which proves that a demonstration is more effective than a thousand pictures.
• Trained several hospital employees, through half-day classes and individual sessions, to order goods using supply chain best practices through the PeopleSoft eProcurement system, which shows that I am comfortable sharing knowledge through public speaking.
• Collaborated with vendors and end user departments to ensure delivery of required supplies and services on time and on budget, which shows the importance I place on your successful operations.
• Provided technical expertise in a variety of MS Office applications to produce requests for proposal, analyze vendor responses, and present the recommendations to end user departments, which demonstrates how I can quickly shift my focus between the different stakeholders.
Guided the planning and implementation of various web and internet projects, with scope scaled to meet quickly changing needs and limited budget.
Introduced a small church to this new thing called "The Internet", and after convincing the pastor of the need, set up and maintained their first two generations of websites. As the church kept growing, their internet needs kept pace and now the church depends on the system to keep their congregation connected.
Courses completed: Technical Writing Style; Editing and Grammar; Technical Illustration and Graphics; Documentation Project Management; Definitions, Process Descriptions and Instructions; Writing and Testing Software Manuals.
Graduated with distinction January 2013 after challenging the course requirements for Single Sourcing, Online Help, Writing for the Web, and Microsoft Word 2010.
Recruitment Consultant at Bell Park International
Senior Manager. MBA
San Francisco Bay Area
San Francisco Bay Area
Greater New York City Area
Senior Documentation Specialist, Technical Writer, Business Consultant
Coquitlam School Trustee SD43
XML/XSLT Developer - Seeking New Opportunities, Short/Long Term Or F/T
Consulting: Content Strategy, Content Management, Information Architecture, Business Analysis
On contract at Seaspan Vancouver Shipyards
User-experience designer and usability analyst
Technical Communicator and Information Designer