Designer & Developer
Freelance Designer & Developer | iOS, Mac, Web
|Recommendations||6 people have recommended Tom|
Join LinkedIn & access Tom's full profile
Designer & Developer
A highly driven professional, I've established a track record of exemplary performance in a variety of disciplines as evidenced through numerous awards and commendations. A lifelong lover of technology, I view my career as an opportunity to contribute to the things I'm most passionate about, a task I approach with the utmost care and pride.
As an IT Advisory Associate at KPMG, one of the world's largest and most prestigious professional service firms, I developed a wide array of skills within the Information Security sector as well as strong interpersonal skills from constant interaction with clients. Utilizing excellent communication and leadership capabilities I climbed to the top of numerous organizations during my time at Penn State and significantly improved them as clearly demonstrated below.
I recently decided to leave KPMG to pursue my passion for web design and development. As an independent consultant and freelance designer/developer I'm interested in exploring opportunities with individuals and organizations where I can provide value while continuing to develop my skill set.
• Specialized in Information Security, performing security testing that included both small and large-scale network penetration testing, security awareness testing, and information security related policy reviews.
• Became well-versed in technical security testing including activities such as network reconnaissance, vulnerability scanning, manual system exploitation, web application testing, and social engineering.
• Performed a number of IT policy and controls reviews including Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) controls reviews, a Roles-Based Access Control (RBAC) assessment, a Disaster Recovery Planning (DRP) review, and a large Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) assessment.
• Gained valuable client experience in a wide range of areas by participating in over fifteen different projects for over a dozen different clients in industries such as Healthcare, Telecommunications, Financial Services, Energy, and Real Estate.
• Developed management-level skills by participating in proposal development and project planning activities typically reserved for personnel above the Associate level.
• Achieved recognition from KPMG and Project Managers through numerous awards for high performance.
• Served as the first president of a newly reorganized honor society that had laid dormant for over 10 years.
• Led the organization's recruiting efforts, strengthening membership to over 50 student leaders.
• Developed the organization's bylaws and led all society meetings/ceremonies.
• Assisted in the organization of several campus events aimed at promoting high ethical and educational standards within the Greek community.
• Served as the first IFC Vice President for Risk Management in Penn State history.
• Launched a risk management program that trains thousands of students, and personally trained over 2,000 students in fraternity risk management.
• Redesigned the organization’s risk management policy to improve its effectiveness and educational value.
• Guided the largest Interfraternity Council in the nation whose decisions affect over 2,500 members and 40,000+ students.
• Regulated safety for over 70 events per week (over 1500 total) and negotiated a contract with a professional security company to provide assistance.
• Interacted frequently with community leaders such as the Vice President for Student Affairs, Chief of Police, Greek Life Director, and Mayor of State College.
• Managed an annual budget of over $200,000 at the age of 20.
• Implemented a new billing program that increased bill retention from under 60% to over 95% and increased revenue by over $40,000.
• Instituted an overhaul of the chapter’s philanthropy efforts, which improved fundraising in its pair from under $5,000 to over $50,000 in a single year.
• Drove the organization to recruit the largest new member class of any fraternity at Penn State and strengthened membership from under 30 to over 60 members.
• Led an organization on the verge of closure to reshape itself into one of the most successful Phi Kappa Tau chapters in the country.
• Served in the Intelligence Unit, Fugitive Unit, Marine Unit, and Office of Labor Relations.
• Prepared reports on the illegal use of firearms for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
• Worked in the Regional Operations Intelligence Center with representatives of major federal organizations including the ATF, CIA, FBI, and DHS.
• Assisted in the tracking and capture of a wanted fugitive.
Received several Encore awards, which are awarded to those who demonstrate exceptional performance on a project and go above-and-beyond their regular duties as a KPMG employee.
Selected from over 3,000 fraternity men to receive the honor of Penn State Fraternity Man of the Year - for service to the Greek, local, and university communities.
Awarded by the Omicron chapter of Phi Kappa Tau for long-term dedication and contribution as an undergraduate to the organization. Served in a total of 10 different officer positions as an undergraduate, including President.
Awarded to individuals by Penn State for embodying the strong values and principles established by the founding members of their respective Greek organizations.
Danced in the Penn State Dance Marathon (THON) in 2008 and again in 2011 on behalf of two different student organizations. THON dancers are elected to represent their organizations by remaining on their feet for 46 hours to support the Four Diamonds Fund and Hershey Children's Hospital. It's a great honor reserved for those who contribute heavily to both their organization and THON.
Participated in a total of 18 volunteer trips and many other activities over 5 years to support the Penn State Dance Marathon, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, which raises funds to benefit the Four-Diamonds Fund and Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital. THON provides emotional and financial support to the children, families, researchers, and staff of the Four-Diamonds Fund.
Assisted with Red Cross campus blood drives as part of annual Penn State - Michigan State Blood Donor Challenges. Helped with setup, tear-down, registering, checking-in, and escorting donors.
Volunteered two separate summers for the Centre County Kicks 4 Kids tournament, a charity soccer tournament benefiting the Association of Hole in the Wall Camps. Helped with managing the start/finish of games, score-keeping, and other activities.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Information Security Professional
Financial Analyst at UnitedHealth Group
Software Developer at Red-Black Tree
Web Application Developer