The Holleran Group, LLC
Interim Executive & Executive Consultant
President / CEO / COO / Managing Director / Interim Executive: Industrial & Consumer Markets Worldwide
Join LinkedIn & access Tom's full profile
Interim Executive & Executive Consultant
An executive who leads by building collaboration, challenging the status quo, facilitating change and driving sustainable earnings growth.
EXECUTIVE CAREER SUMMARY:
Full strategic planning, P&L and operating leadership of 24 unique businesses, divisions and groups: early-stage enterprises, mergers and acquisitions, turnarounds, fast-track growth ventures, LBOs and Fortune 500 companies. Delivered strong and sustainable growth in both emerging and mature markets by delivering the right products, technologies and solutions through the right channels to the right customers.
Expert in the turnaround, revitalization and performance improvement of mature businesses to ensure that they continually adapt and change in order to renew and sustain growth and market dominance.
Possess an energizing leadership style, entrepreneurial spirit and drive, and strategically focused marketing and business development perspective. An open-minded thinker who challenges assumptions with ruthless objectivity, fosters creative debate, aligns vision, and builds a culture of creative thought, leadership and action. A true partner and confidential advisor to top-level business executives and investors.
President, CEO, COO, EVP, Managing Director, Interim Executive, Management Consulting and Board of Director Positions in B2B and B2C industries, markets, products and technologies.
Early-stage enterprises, growth companies, turnarounds, well-established corporations, Fortune 500 companies.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES:
High Entrepreneurial Drive, Energy & Passion
Strong People Orientation
Top-Flight Leadership Performance
Astute Negotiator & Collaborator
Powerful Customer Advocate & Relationship Manager
An open-minded thinker who can challenge the unquestioned assumptions and foster debate, creativity, innovation and performance improvement across business units and organizations around the globe.
Specialties:Strategic Planning, Business Development, Economic Analysis, Financial Analysis, Market Segmentation, Marketing, Competitive Market Positioning, Product Management & Reconfiguration, Multi-Site Operations Management, Organizational Design, Organizational Leadership, Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestitures, Technology Investment, Patents, Opportunity Analysis, Investment Portfolio Management, Specialty Chemicals, Pharmaceutical, Polymers, Performance Materials, Engineering Products, Aerospace
(Interim executive and management consulting firm serving diverse industrial and consumer markets around the world.)
Provide a full suite of strategic and execution engagements to C-level executives, business owners, venture capital and private equity firms, Boards of Directors and other stakeholders to drive growth and improve earnings of their business holdings.
• Work across a broad platform of B2B and B2C industries, markets, products and technologies for early-stage enterprises, growth companies, turnarounds and well-established corporations.
• Specialize in economic analysis, financial analysis, market segmentation, competitive market positioning, product management and reconfiguration, operations management, organizational design and leadership, and mergers and acquisitions.
• Currently engaged with VC firm funding life sciences ventures. Evaluated new business opportunity, market conditions and receptivity, industry attractiveness and profitability for transitioning patented technology into pharmaceutical industry. Recommended funding, developed market entry strategy and business model, and now leading next-stage validation phase as Interim CEO and Board Director.
• Analyzed risk and potential opportunity of multiple investments in both start-up and early-stage industrial R&D and manufacturing companies offering novel, next-generation materials, chemicals and processes.
(Privately held specialty chemicals holding company comprised of 6 operating divisions. Carved out of Lubrizol and owned by a leading private equity firm.)
Seamlessly transitioned 6 operating companies out of Lubrizol to create EPM as an independent company generating $450M+ in annual revenue. Partnered with Board and investors on key strategic and value-creation initiatives including active M&A portfolio, product line rationalizations, new product investments, site strategies and expansions. Established small HQ office providing governance and cost-effective shared services for specialized expertise and transaction processing to operating companies. Led 10 direct reports and 700-person workforce.
• Created pipeline of active growth, productivity improvement and cost reduction initiatives projected to double income in 3 years. Closed 2007 with double-digit earnings growth and on target to continue trend through 2008.
• Reengineered high-volume production process, rationalized $30M of unprofitable commoditized volume and achieved ROI in <1 year.
• Doubled sustainable earnings and reduced cyclicality in company’s largest operating division by increasing focus on specialty markets.
• Optimized existing capacity within several key operating divisions while increasing size of another division by 100% through strategic acquisition to expand product portfolio and global reach. Completed second acquisition to further diversify product range and mix.
• Implemented sophisticated ERP pricing optimization system projected to deliver 10% increase in profit and 6x ROI on tech investment.
• Restructured organization, eliminated holding company CEO role and promoted 4 General Managers to newly created Division President positions reporting directly to the Board.
($1.2B special chemicals company formed in 2001 when BF Goodrich divested their Performance Materials Division. Acquired by Lubrizol, a $5B Fortune 500 company, in 2004.)
Senior Operating Executive credited with optimizing performance, productivity and profitability of $475M Group. Held full P&L for 8 operating divisions (specialty polymers, fine chemicals, pharmaceuticals, additives, rubber chemicals, process aids) with 800+ employees and 7 manufacturing plants in the US, Europe and India. Brought all businesses to leading positions within their respective markets.
• Increased EBITDA from $25M in 2001 to $60M in 2005 through a combination of organic growth, reorganization and acquisition projects.
• Restructured $60M division, reduced working capital $15M, realigned costs and improved EBITDA from breakeven to $6M in 2 years.
• Revitalized leadership and business strategy for $100M division, increasing EBITDA from near breakeven to $10M in 1 year.
• Divested European-based pharmaceutical business to private investment firm and packaged six divisions into one consolidated divestiture offering sold to private equity firm that launched Emerald Performance Materials.
($1.2B performance materials business, a division of $4B Fortune 500 company with core businesses in aerospace, specialty chemicals / performance materials and engineered products.)
Challenged to identify and capture a minimum of $30M in corporate value through revenue growth, cost reduction, cash flow, and other strategic change management and process improvement initiatives. Collaborated with senior executives, business unit leaders and functional managers on key consulting projects to drive, capture and sustain value creation throughout the enterprise.
• Identified $50M+ in financial benefits over next 3 years from both active and planned projects.
• Orchestrated pan-European change management initiative in partnership with 100+ BFG leaders and launched plans and programs estimated to deliver $20M in new operating income (key component of $50M+).
• Chaired leadership team that directed successful carve-out of Performance Materials into a new and independent company (Noveon International) owned by three leading private equity firms.
Chosen by President for new executive position to create and implement a comprehensive integration process following acquisition of 5 companies in 2 concurrent transactions. Led cross-functional, multinational team through initial rapid integration and assimilation.
• Reduced workforce 15% within first 120 days, exceeding first-year synergy objectives by a factor of three.
• Collaborated with BFG business and functional leaders to fully integrate the products and operations of each acquired company into multiple BFG strategic business units and their matrixed organizational support structure.
• Relocated to Germany and partnered with operating management team of recently acquired company (4 plants in Germany and India) to plan and orchestrate business turnaround and revitalization.
• Refocused German business on growth markets and opportunities, rationalized product lines, implemented new management structure and reduced operating costs. Put company on clearer path to future profitability.
Transferred from Tremco subsidiary into newly created position at parent company, leading new operating division formed by integrating various product lines sold into non-core markets into one business unit.
Concurrently, retained operating management responsibility for Tremco’s Auto Aftermarket Division and led through profitable divestiture. Directed up to 175 employees at 3 facilities
• Grew revenues 35% and tripled operating income to 20%+ ROS by leveraging existing products and technologies into new adhesives, new coatings and a wide range of industrial applications worldwide.
• Implemented new strategy for highly specialized product line that included setting an aggressive new pricing strategy, rationalizing low-margin customers and better utilizing existing capacity to avoid proposed $10M expansion. Increased ROS from 8% to 21%.
• Developed new product for DoD missile fuel application that generated a decade of profitable revenue growth and was subsequently adopted by NASA for the Space Shuttle Program.
($350M global producer of sealants, adhesives and roofing systems used in building construction and maintenance, automotive and consumer markets.)
Led newly created Industrial Specialties Group comprised of 5 divisions producing adhesives, sealants and coatings, and serving the automotive OEM and aftermarket, aerospace, consumer and general industrial markets.
Challenged to turnaround underperforming divisions and evaluate long-term growth and diversification potential of entire product portfolio and all business holdings. Managed operations generating $70M in annual revenue with 6 direct reports and 300 employees at multiple locations.
• Recommended elimination of Group due to lack of scale and market fit with core businesses. Divested 2 divisions, integrated 2 others into core divisions and managed Canadian Division as standalone business. Drove 78% increase in income on just 10% revenue growth.
• Restructured 2 underperforming divisions with new business strategies that included operating infrastructures, leadership changes, product rationalization, productivity and cost-out initiatives, and focused growth plans.
• Successfully defended Canadian consumer market position from free trade induced challenges that threatened company’s lucrative #1 share position by significantly increasing consumer brand support and adapting to rapidly changing retail distribution channel landscape.
Selected to lead new $170M business group formed by merging Canadian subsidiary and US Industrial/Construction Group, with mission to create a leaner, fully integrated and more profitable North American enterprise. Complex integration process was fully underway when Tremco reorganized into global SBU structure just 12 months later. At peak, directed 8 divisions with 1000 employees at 5 locations.
• Launched initiatives to integrate multiple commercial divisions, eliminate redundant staff functions, harmonize product offerings, strengthen business management and leverage economies of scale. Forecasted 75% improvement in operating income over 3 years.
• Reduced working capital $4M, closed one plant and began complex task of standardizing regional product offerings for each technology platform to launch process of rationalizing additional capacity.
• Stabilized Group income despite difficult economic climate and the negative impact of free trade on Canadian company.
Vice President & General Manager - US Industrial & Construction Group (1990 to 1992)
Group General Manager (1987 to 1990)
Division Manager (1984 to 1986)
Fast-track promotion through a series of increasingly responsible management and leadership positions with a $100M business group with 4 operating divisions and 500+ employees.
• Increased group operating income 355% on 34% overall revenue growth.
• More than doubled Industrial sales revenue to $40M and 20% operating income with rapid growth of patented insulating glass system that set new industry standard.
• Revitalized Construction Division, expanded product portfolio, and grew sales 25% and operating income 50% in first 2 years.
Senior Director, Client Development and Sales CME Group
Greater New York City Area
Infrastructure Project Manager at BNY Mellon
Greater Pittsburgh Area
Sales Agent at Re/Max Chesapeake
Greater Philadelphia Area
Asst. Track Coach at Peabody High
Greater Boston Area
Sales at Connecticut Dist Inc
Greater New York City Area
President ▪ CEO ▪ COO ▪ VP Operations ▪ Operational & Commercial Excellence
Business Development at GenSyn Technologies
Chief Financial Officer at Avalon Precision Casting Company
President & CFO at Emerald Performance Materials
Regional Developer at The Entrepreneur's Source
Chief Financial Officer at Kimble Companies
President ▪ CEO ▪ COO ▪ EVP ▪ GM
President at Romance the Brand
CFO/COO at Goudreau Management Corporation
Group Operations President-Kaydon Corp-SKF Group Company