Namati: Innovations in Legal Empowerment
Community Builder at Namati: Innovations in Legal Empowerment
|Recommendations||18 people have recommended Tobias|
Join LinkedIn & access Tobias's full profile
Techie with 20+ years experience working in Africa, Europe and North America. Persistent and adaptable problem-solver focused on technical, strategic and organizational solutions. Lifelong passion is to strengthen organizations working on meaningful social, political, economic and environmental issues by promoting and implementing effective use of technology.
Specialties: strategic planning, leadership, community management, project management, and training.
Energizing a community of grassroots justice legal groups through online and in-person learning exchanges.
* Carry responsibility for governance, budgeting and strategy as well as managing volunteers and contractors.
* Secured funding from range of donors including GIZ, Ford Foundation, Open Society Initiative for West Africa, OSI Information Program, Lonely Planet Foundation, and Yahoo Employee Foundation.
* Transitioned organization into volunteer-run and stakeholder-supported networking platform after 10 years as nonprofit business providing online services and training (2010).
* Managed development and launch of innovative online networking platform using open source software (2008).
* Created and managed website hosting service tailored for African civil society organizations (until 2007).
* Developed Time to Get Online training manual and used it to run ICT training workshops for civil society organizations in Nigeria, Kenya, Morocco and Ghana (until 2006).
* Published leading African human rights e-mail newsletter Pambazuka News, in collaboration with Fahamu and SANGONeT (until 2001).
* Founded nonprofit with mission to help African civil society organizations put information and communication technology to work for the benefit of their communities.
Contribute to brainstorming calls on timely tech topics to cover in upcoming editions and tech leaders to invite to author articles. Contribute articles on my own pet topics such as Open Data.
Stiftung Kinder-Hilfe was founded in fall 1999 by Jutta Philippi Eigen and her mother Else Philippi with an investment of DM 500,000. The Foundation supports socially disadvantaged children in poor countries through small but discrete and effective investments.
Set up SC4G website and connected volunteer developers with participating humanitarian open source software projects.
Developed and implemented IT strategy to meet requirements for team collaboration, e-conferencing, event management, community website, and constituency relationship management. Stewarded Communications Community of Practice for leading Global Action Networks. Organized workshops in Stockholm, Geneva and Bonn.
Coordinated change process for transforming organization into international network of autonomous centers contributing to the oneworld.net global justice portal. Performed feasibility study in collaboration with the British Council for NigeriaNet, a proto Web 2.0 site for human rights community in Nigeria. Led NGO consultative forum in Lagos and introduced project to Lagos-based donors. Wrote successful funding proposals to European Commission and Ford Foundation.
Set up resource center for journalists in the Press Union of Liberia and provided training on use of computers and Internet for reporting.
Coordinated and monitored European Commission funded Internet capacity-building project for ten Nigerian human rights groups based in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Abuja and Kaduna.
Assisted rural non-profit information center in Moramanga, Madagascar to develop a strategy for joining the Internet and utilizing it to serve the village community and environs.
Promoted the use of Internet to improve exchange of information and experiences in the international network of UNEVOC centers. Planned, launched and managed UNEVOC eForum mailing list which still thrives today. Developed and implemented strategy for publishing full-text documents on the web and CD-ROM.
Provided Internet strategy consulting for international organizations, including:
* Transparency International: introduced international nonprofit to Internet through strategy consulting, website development, and training.
* Afrovision TV News Exchange: assembled and tested turnkey e-mail systems in cooperation with the NY office of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation for each of the consortium's 13 bureaux.
* Africare: regularly assembled and tested e-mail software on laptops and trained staff as they prepared to depart for missions throughout Africa.
Investigated viability of computer network for news agencies in West Africa and introduced Cotonou staff to the Internet.
Developed and maintained a private e-mail network for field offices in a dozen countries across the African Sahel region. Provided training and tech support for field officers.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Senior Int'l Wealth Strategist at MAKE/Creative Group NYC
Executive Director, Nonprofit Consultant | Open to new opportunities
C.E.O & Chairman Fast Path Technologies
John Parke Young Professor at Occidental College
Rechtsanwalt e Avvocato presso Studio Legale
Teamleader Quality Management bei Lufthansa Technik