Media futurist | News change agent | Digital-media consultant | Educator/trainer | Journalist
- Boulder, Colorado (Greater Denver Area)
- Online Media
Steve Outing's Overview
- Writer | futurist | researcher | author | consultant | advisor | speaker | educator at Media Disruptus
- Colorado State University
- University of Houston
Steve Outing's Summary
CURRENTLY: dba Media Disruptus: Media-innovation and strategic-foresight consultant ... Speaker, trainer, educator focused on news innovation, digital storytelling and tools, media business models ... Journalist, researcher, and news/media analyst for hire ...
I specialize in helping news organizations and journalism-education programs envision the future and adapt, and technology enterprises develop media strategies and partnerships with the news sector.
Let me help your organization shape its future, not just react to the fast pace of change of our times.
• Journalism/news innovator
• Pioneer in online news (since 1994)
• Professional journalist since 1978 ... Abandoned print medium in 1994
• Large network of colleagues in news, media, journalism-education, technology sectors
• LinkedIn connections: 1,025 | Twitter followers: 5,458 | Google+: in 9,255 circles
• Blogger since 2000 (E-Media Tidbits, SteveOuting.com, MediaDisruptus.com)
• Tweeting since July 12, 2007 @steveouting
• Respected columnist/pundit for news industry executives, managers from 1995 to 2009
• Consultant to news, media, and content companies (innovation, business models)
• Researcher/writer/editor for school for professional journalists (Poynter Institute)
• Entrepreneur at intersection of niche news and social media
• Educator at university level focused on digital-media trends, digital storytelling, social media
• Speaker, trainer, researcher, freelancer, author
Steve Outing's Experience
Writer | futurist | researcher | author | consultant | advisor | speaker | educator
January 1994 – Present (20 years 10 months) Boulder, CO
Over the years, I've done a wide range of independent work within the digital/online news field:
• Research reports, book chapters, books (on online newspapers, e-mail publishing, online classifieds, etc.).
• Freelance writing and columns on a range of online-media topics. (The Guardian, Harvard's Nieman Reports, Writer's Digest, Ad Age, and many others in the U.S. and overseas.)
• Advisor/consultant to media companies on digital-media strategy.
• Speaker at numerous conferences and seminars: student groups, journalism associations, media executives, journalism academics, public lectures.
• Regularly interviewed by reporters from media organizations worldwide, book authors, and scholars on topics relating to many aspects of digital media, social media, and news innovation.
• Judge for online-news and journalism competitions (Online Journalism Awards, EPpies, SND.ies, National Society of Newspaper Columnists, etc.). Founder of EPpies.
Founder, program director, instructor
Educational Institution; 1-10 employees; Internet industry
November 2009 – May 2013 (3 years 7 months) Boulder CO
Digital-innovation specialist within CU-Boulder Journalism program:
• Recruited and supervised student and team research projects (news for smartphones; incivility in user comments; rhetoric of popular photographs; news gaming; community news/info curation; disruptive-media tools; etc.).
• Taught Digital-Media Trends and Innovative Digital Storytelling for News.
• Co-founded dLab, bringing digital- and social-media training to classrooms and workshop series.
• Invited and hosted a series of digital-news/media expert speakers for workshops.
• Assisted student-media editors and advisor on innovation.
• Frequent guest lecturer in classrooms on digital, future-of-news topics.
• Introduced social-media data to university as needed new area of study and research. (Will become part of planned new College of Communication, Media, and Information.)
• Brought innovative new tools to Journalism program for student and faculty use (Public Insight Network, DocumentCloud, Geofeedia, mobile reporting hardware, experimental/beta tools and services).
• Partnered with media and technology companies for university-private news coverage, research projects.
• Organized workshop on Funding for Non-profit News Organizations.
• Mentored individual students interested in digital future of journalism.
• Researched and blogged about new trends affecting journalism.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Publishing industry
March 1995 – December 2009 (14 years 10 months)
"Stop The Presses!" columnist for Editor & Publisher Online from 1995 to 2009 (when E&P was shut down by its owner, Nielsen Co.). My regular column covered the intersection of the Internet and news media, with emphasis on newspapers but covering all sorts of interactive media, social media, journalism-innovation, and industry issues.
Founder & publisher
March 2006 – November 2007 (1 year 9 months) Boulder, CO
Enthusiast Group LLC published a network of grassroots-media and social networking-driven websites focused on creating highly interactive communities serving adventure and outdoor sports enthusiasts. The company shut down in late 2007.
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Education Management industry
September 2001 – February 2006 (4 years 6 months)
I did mostly writing and research for Poynter on topics relating to the Internet and news media. Established, wrote, and edited E-Media Tidbits, a group blog of online-media experts from across the globe. Favorite Poynter project: Eyetrack III study of broadband-era news websites and multimedia editorial content; findings published, September 2004 at http://www.poynter.org/eyetrack/
Graphics editor, graphic artist, features copy editor
Public Company; 501-1000 employees; Newspapers industry
May 1986 – December 1993 (7 years 8 months)
While at the Chronicle, I bounced around various editorial jobs -- editing for the features department, trying my hand at being an infographics artist, and managing the news graphics operation. Also was involved in the (very) early days of SFGate.com, when we were playing around with BBS's. (I left before it became a web site.)
Steve Outing's Projects
- September 2012 to January 2013
Supervisor and advisor on student research project by Rob Denton, in collaboration with Pixoto.com and its CEO/founder, Jason Sieken. Journalism & Mass Communication, University of Colorado Boulder.
Steve Outing's Skills & Expertise
- Online Publishing
- Social Networking
- Mobile Content
- Social Media
- Web 2.0
- New Media
- Mobile Internet
- Web Content
- Online Journalism
- Digital Strategy
- Content Strategy
- Digital Media
- Content Management
- Content Development
- Freelance Writing
- News Writing
- Copy Editing
- Feature Articles
- AP Style
- Digital Journalism
- Web Content Management
- Breaking News
- Investigative Reporting
- Press Releases
- Media Relations
- Creative Writing
- Web Editing
- Headline Writing
Steve Outing's Education
BA, Technical journalism
September 1974 – May 1978
Activities and Societies: Managing editor, The Collegian, student newspaper of CSU.
University of Houston
Certificate in Strategic Foresight, Future studies, strategic foresight theory and practice
School of Continuing Education & Professional Studies
Taught by Dr. Peter Bishop, Dr. Andrew Hines
Steve Outing's Additional Information
Mountain biking, cycling, photography, movies, travel, chocolate.
- Groups and Associations:
Online News Association; World Future Society; Advisory board member - Citizen Media Center
- Honors and Awards:
2000 EPpy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement