Executive Vice President of Strategy at SHIFT Communications
- Greater Detroit Area
- Public Relations and Communications
Scott Monty's Overview
- Executive Vice President of Strategy at SHIFT Communications
Scott Monty's Summary
Ranked by Forbes as one of the top 10 influencers in social media, he has been called "an unstoppable force of nature," "the best corporate social media lead on the planet," and Alan Mulally, the CEO of Ford Motor Company, called him "a visionary."
At Ford, Scott led the social media function and held the title Global Digital & Multimedia Communications Manager. He was a strategic advisor on all social media activities across the company, from blogger relations to marketing support, customer service to internal communications and more, as social media was integrated into many facets of Ford business.
Specialties: A frequently sought-after speaker, Scott has been featured in hundreds of news and business publications in print and on the web, in dozens of books, and on a variety of mainstream media, including NBC, NPR, CNN, Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal. Scott is a recognized thought leader in the social media industry.
Scott Monty's Publications
Authors: Scott Monty
- August 21, 2006
A site looking at cutting-edge trends, developments and activities that are shaping the world of communications, PR, marketing, advertising in the digital world, with an eye toward executive counsel and leadership.
- August 6, 2005
Site and podcast dedicated to the world's most famous fictional character, Sherlock Holmes. We cover the intersection of Sherlock Holmes and popular culture, including movies, television, books, games, events, personalities, online and more. The monthly podcast is highly downloaded and has regular sponsors; the site publishes multiple times a week.
Scott Monty's Experience
Executive Vice President of Strategy
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Public Relations and Communications industry
July 2014 – Present (3 months)
Deepen relationships with existing clients and strengthen their campaigns; explore partnership opportunities with outside allies; assist in the development and integration of new service offerings; develop curricula and content for events; public representation of the agency.
Global Digital & Multimedia Communications Manager
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; F; Automotive industry
July 2008 – May 2014 (5 years 11 months)
• Global lead for social media activities that improve Ford's reputation among all audiences and help build purchase consideration.
• Developed corporate social media policy for all employees.
• Work across communications and marketing functions to ensure integration of earned, owned and paid media.
• Use analytics to inform our storytelling approach, determining the common metrics between marketing and communications in the digital space.
• With a cross-functional global team, govern the company's presence across a number of digital platforms and provide best practices, case studies and playbooks for guidance.
• Contribute to ongoing training and development to give our team the capability and expertise of digital practitioners.
• Act as a company spokesman and subject matter expert for commentary about digital and social media online, in print and on broadcast channels.
Overall use of social media
• PR Week - Best Use of Social Media (2009)
• Society for New Communications Research Fellows' Choice Award - Brand of the Year (2009)
• Cannes Lions - Silver Lion for Social Media (2010)
• Marketing Sales and Executives of Detroit - Trailblazer Award (2011)
• PCG Automotive Social Media Awards - Social Media Leadership (2011)
• Social Media Today - First Enterprise Social Shaker Award (2013)
• PRWeek Top 20 Digital Influencer (2013)
• PRWeek Global Awards - International In-House Team of the Year (2014)
Ford Explorer Reveal
• WOMMA - Silver WOMMY in Social Media (2010)
• One of Mashable's Top 5 Game-Changing Social Media Marketing Campaigns
June 2007 – June 2008 (1 year 1 month)
- Provided strategic consulting, agency, advisory, thought leadership services in the social media industry to a wide range of clients.
- Acted as day-to-day relationship manager, ensuring consistently high quality client service.
- Kept current on emerging media and trends, offering sound advice with a strong marketing, communications and business acumen.
- Spoke at industry events and participated in panel discussions on what companies - large and small - were doing in social media.
- Raised awareness of client businesses and products, resulting in deeper understanding of their offerings and in certain cases, an increase in sales.
- Developed creative & strategic ideas that harnessed the three tenets of conversational marketing: community, dialog, and partnership.
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
November 2004 – May 2007 (2 years 7 months)
At this full service agency, I worked with clients in the medical device, life science, healthcare technology and biotech fields to plan & execute campaigns.
• Strategic and day-to-day marketing, communication and branding advice to clients, from strategic branding initiatives to print and online advertising and sponsorships, thought-leadership programs, awareness and lead generation.
• Maintained industry knowledge of current marketing trends and techniques, with a particular specialty in social media marketing – blogs, podcasts, RSS and other Web 2.0 applications to maximize brand experience.
• Developed client relationships that resulted in trusted advisor status and bring the agency additional revenue.
• Managed internal teams of writers, designers and account staff with clarity, candor and energy.
• Developed deep experience and familiarity with Internet marketing tactics and metrics, leading the firm toward embracing social media early on.
Educational Institution; 501-1000 employees; Higher Education industry
September 2002 – May 2004 (1 year 9 months)
Simmons is a small liberal arts college for women, with coed graduate schools of social work, library science and health studies. Met with alumni from Simmons graduate schools of social work and library science, raising $235K in major gifts within 18 months. Prepared marketing materials, engaged administrators and faculty members to participate in meetings, created financial agreements including bequests, and built confidence for gift-giving.
Manager, Corporate Development
Boston Healthcare Associates, Inc.
November 1999 – May 2002 (2 years 7 months)
Boston Healthcare is a small boutique life sciences consulting firm, focused on reimbursement consulting, corporate development services, and clinical trial management for the biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostic markets. Assisted clients with corporate strategy and marketing plans, including the development of product materials and the identification and negotiation of partnerships.
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Hospital & Health Care industry
July 1996 – October 1999 (3 years 4 months)
Private Healthcare is a large Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), supplying network services and medical management to small insurers, third party administrators, and self-insured companies with health plans. It is the largest proprietary PPO and the second largest independent care management company in the United States. As Account Manager and Project Manager, worked with clients to provide products and services that met satisfaction.
Marketing & Operations Assistant
Nonprofit; 10,001+ employees; Hospital & Health Care industry
May 1995 – June 1996 (1 year 2 months)
Brigham and Womens Hospital is a world-renowned 1,000 bed facility. Responsibilities included marketing assessments and operational improvements. Worked on creating a virtual radiology department for the growing Partners network, and effected better patient flow at the MRI units.
Government Agency; 10,001+ employees; Government Administration industry
January 1994 – May 1995 (1 year 5 months)
The Department of Veterans Affairs is the government agency responsible for the healthcare of United States veterans. Wrote speeches for the Director of the Medical Research Service and crafted a public awareness manual. Integrated efforts across workgroups to provide a clear VA policy on healthcare reform and health, food and safety for the 21st century.
Scott Monty's Projects
Team Members: Scott Monty
- January 2001 to January 2008
The Baker Street Journal (BSJ) is literary publication that has provided scholarship on the Sherlock Holmes canon since 1946. When I was invested into the Baker Street Irregulars (BSI), the exclusive literary society comprised of 300 members worldwide, I was tapped to lead the business operations of the BSJ. I developed and implemented marketing plans to increase brand awareness, drive subscriptions and support the burgeoning publishing empire of the BSI.
- Web site development, launch and redesign, including an e-commerce solution that drove nearly $60,000 in annual revenue from some 1,000 customers
- Direct mail with a 30% response rate
- Cross-industry marketing and promotion
- Social media strategy
- Subscription numbers maintained despite the aging demographic of the readership and more digital media
Scott Monty's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Board Member At-Large
American Marketing AssociationJuly 2014 – present (3 months)
Serving as a board member to help with innovative and evolving digital knowledge, training and tools to enhance lifelong learning of AMA membership.
The American Marketing Association (AMA) was established in 1937 by visionaries in marketing and academia. Today, the AMA has grown to be one of the largest marketing associations in the world, with over 30,000 members who work, teach and study in the field of marketing across the globe.
Member, Board of Trustees
Detroit Symphony Orchestra
January 2014 – present (9 months)
- Arts and Culture
Serve as a general member of the Board of Trustees, specifically offering counsel and creative ideas around digital strategy.
Journal of Digital & Social Media MarketingFebruary 2013 – present (1 year 8 months)
Social Media Advertising ConsortiumApril 2012 – present (2 years 6 months)
Scott Monty's Skills & Expertise
- B2B Marketing
- Technical Writing
- Social Media
- Social Media Marketing
- Social Networking
- Online Advertising
- Public Speaking
- Public Relations
- Corporate Communications
- Marketing Communications
- Corporate Social Media
- Strategic Communications
- Media Relations
- Press Releases
- Digital Strategy
- Internal Communications
- Integrated Marketing
- Lead Generation
- Online Marketing
- Content Strategy
- New Media
- Website Development
- Digital Media
- Marketing Strategy
- Web Marketing
- Brand Management
- Digital Marketing
- Business Development
- Content Development
- Email Marketing
- Content Management
Scott Monty's Education
MBA, Health Care Management
January 1994 – May 1996
Dual degree with Master's in Medical Sciences.
Activities and Societies: Senior Resident Assistant, Football Halftime Announcer, Scarlet Key Selection Committee
MS, Medical Science
September 1992 – May 1996
Thesis: Clinical and Managerial Implications of Developing Ultrasound Technology
Activities and Societies: Senior Resident Assistant, Football Halftime Announcer, Scarlet Key Selection Committee
BA, Classical Civilization
1988 – 1992
Activities and Societies: Scarlet Key Society
Scott Monty's Additional Information
Communications, technology, and marketing, public speaking, executive counsel, strategic advice, voice overs, golf, skiing, literature, music, Sherlock Holmes.
- Groups and Associations:
American Marketing Association, Podcasting, Golf, Masons, Baker Street Irregulars.
- Honors and Awards:
- Top tier of the Power 150 list of top marketing blogs by AdAge since May 2007
- Listed as #5 on the Top 100 Social Media & Social Networking Blogs
- Named by Forbes as one of the top 10 influencers in social media
- Appeared on Bloomberg TV, CNN, CNBC, NBC, NPR and BNN, in publications including Forbes, Fortune, Harvard Business Review, The Wall Street Journal, and in over two dozen books.
- Named MSED's Trailblazer of the Year, 2011
- Awarded the 2011 Social Media Automotive Leadership Award by PCG
Contact Scott for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- getting back in touch