Project/product manager, president - PCSA
- London, United Kingdom
Sam Applebee's Overview
Sam Applebee's Experience
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
November 2013 – Present (6 months) London, United Kingdom
Product managing the development of Timetably timetable optimisation software for higher education institutions. Rollout September 2014
Student co-creator consultant
Educational Institution; 11-50 employees; Higher Education industry
October 2012 – Present (1 year 7 months) London, United Kingdom
Undertaking a two year fast-track BSc (Hons) in Business & Enterprise. The only business programme to be designed and delivered inside a FTSE100 company - Pearson.
Working ongoing with course designers and managers to development the academic and student experience, while studying as part of the first ever cohort of students.
- Founded Pearson College Students' Association
- Founded Selective Perspectives talks and lectures society
- Won L'Oreal Brandstorm marketing competition UK 2013
- Research project in collaboration with the Financial Times
- Developing a social enterprise to be launched near Mumbai, India in April 2014
Business and Editorial Intern
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; PSON; Newspapers industry
June 2013 – August 2013 (3 months) London, United Kingdom
Rotated through the marketing, editorial and advertising departments.
- Researched, selected and forged partnerships with prestigious establishments through which to showcase the FT Pink'un Cocktail including The Ritz, The Dorchester, Intercontinental Park Lane, Cafè Royal and Brown's (see project attached)
- Conducted competitor analysis for the FT Fine Wine Plan and presented findings with positioning recommendations
- Coordinated tactical distribution of FT Weekend Magazine (featuring Usain Bolt) in luxury gyms
Editorial (UK News):
- Authored a news feature entitled ‘Compensation Culture Claims Rejected’, published on page two of the weekday newspaper and on ft.com
- Created and edited filed articles using Eidos Methóde 4
- Built slideshow for ft.com showcasing newly released Government & FT archive material
- Analysed industry data upon scheduled release
- Liaised with insight team and salespeople to create new sales collateral for the Charities patch
- Built prospective client lists for a number of tactical advertising opportunities, as well as the charities sector
- Established relationships from cold with more than 20 decision makers in high priority organisations
- Secured advertising investment for Pink Snow (ski & snowboard special) from new client Ellis Brigham Mountain Sports
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Publishing industry
September 2010 – August 2012 (2 years) London, United Kingdom
- Converted an unpaid internship into a full-time sales role within just two weeks.
- Consistently in the top two on the display advertising sales board for music & lifestyle publisher Guestlist Network.
- Personally secured new business from such major brands as Samsung, AA, BSM, RyanAir, Merlin Entertainments, Verbatim
Ad sales - as part of the display advertising sales team I sourced, cold called and pitched (in person and over the phone) to companies and agencies for display ads in both the print and digital products, personally securing new business from such major brands as Samsung, AA, BSM, Ryanair, Merlin Entertainments and Verbatim.
Account management - from a standing start I generated business and grew my accounts, always by coming at the sale from the client’s perspective and illustrating a clear understanding of their business and how Guestlist Network’s advertising platforms could contribute to their growth or brand awareness; also regularly conducted presentations and meetings in person to maintain client relationships, ensuring series bookings and new business sales.
Creative campaign business development - I was also part of a team putting together creative media campaigns for clients E.g. organising social media coverage and YouTube promotion of clients’ live events; I also personally managed the execution of some aspects of campaigns – for example, I launched and promoted a weekly music event hosting just shy of 100 attendees in the music industry to showcase established as well as up-and-coming talent for Trikki clothing.
Marketing - Consulted daily with client direct marketing teams plus agency planners/buyers RE their clients’ marketing plans; personally developed and oversaw production of the 2012 Media Pack, our main sales tool – see mediapack.guestlist.net
Sam Applebee's Organizations
Pearson College Students' AssociationFounder & President
- January 2013 to Present
Founded PCSA, presently managing growth as student numbers increase exponentially.
PCSA is a student led body which represents the student population through a student council.
Also the umbrella organisation under which sits a number of student run societies including All Access Events, Society of Sports (SOS), Grub Club, Selective Perspectives (talks & lectures), Bright Futures, Debating.
Selective PerspectivesFounder & President
- October 2013 to Present
Founded the series of talks and lectures for Business undergraduates to expose them to insightful and inspiring individuals from a range of fields.
Speakers share their knowledge and experience, often from novel perspectives: bringing theory to life through context and highlighting current, topical issues which do not yet form part of the curriculum.
Guests have included Stephen Green, CEO Rockcorps.