University at Buffalo
Library and Informational Science
Assistant Director at Pioneer Library System
|Recommendations||1 person has recommended Ron|
Join LinkedIn & access Ron's full profile
Library and Informational Science
Hi, I'm Ron, the Assistant Director at the Pioneer Library System in NY. I aim help 42 public libraries fulfill their missions through problem solving, maximizing services, and improving overall performance.
I focus primarily on: User research, usability testing and evaluation, User Experience (UX) and Customer Experience (CX) design, communication, project management, strategic planning, continuing education, and developing productive workflows.
My time in nonprofits has taught me that my professional values boil down to the following:
- When the organization wins, everybody wins.
- Brevity and simplicity are the main goals in any type of design or communication.
- Generating lots of ideas is great; executing the essential few is even better.
- The best way to effectively execute a project is to have a plan composed of specific action items.
- Organizations can't grow without measurable goals.
- Knowing why an organization exists provides the structure needed for making an impact.
- Teams are the way to go.
I love making new professional acquaintances; send me a message if you’d like to talk nonprofits, research, technology, or science fiction.
My mission is to support the 42 public libraries in the Pioneer Library System in reaching their full potential by assisting in strategic planning, facilitating community conversations, encouraging change management, analyzing user experience, and highlighting effective and productive practices.
- Assisted in the planning and coordination of a library renovation and construction project.
- Led a disaster response team during library sprinkler system failure.
- Supervised a 23 member staff.
- Developed and implemented staff and patron events and training programs.
- Co-founded the “Emerging Trends” group for fostering creative collaboration among PLS librarians.
- Restructured and digitized procedures essential to library operation.
- Assisted in the planning and promoting of fundraising events.
- Managed social networks and website development/maintenance.
- Maintained adult print, media, and digital collections.
- Created promotional plans and material for library events, programs, and services.
- Co-created a historic audio tour of down town Canandaigua.
- Created Wood Library Tech Support, a "open office hour" type program where people can stop by to ask tech questions.
- First hand experience with support staff issues and resolutions.
- Developed an internship program at Wood Library for MLIS students.
- Developed and presented educational programs to non-profit organizations including PLS libraries, the Livingston County Youth Bureau, and the Rochester Regional Library Council.
- Developed strong professional relationships with several library directors in PLS.
- Consulted libraries on topics including: Technology trends and policy & Staff development and training.
- Consulted authors on topics including: Book editing and formatting & Promotion through social media.
- First professional library position.
- Provided reference services in a changing library environment.
- Assisted in the coordination and execution of moving the library back from a temporary location during renovation.
- Assisted in obtaining and wrote several library grants.
- Promoted to Assistant Director in January 2013.
- Newark Public Library had a significant impact on my studies in library school and prepared me for future library positions.
- This position was a practicum at the Lorette Wilmot Library located on the Nazareth College library campus that I completed during my final year in library school. Here I gained experience in cataloging (original as well as copy cataloging), archives, book repair, and reference services.
Processing of books; Managing reserve materials
Charles J. Meder Memorial Library 2005-2007
Copy media center
Instructing patrons how to use microfilm readers and photocopy machines.
While attending SUNY Brockport I served as a library clerk at the Drake Memorial Library. This was a work study program that gave me experience in checking in and out materials as well as aiding in research for students and professors.
A project starting as a book club discussing travel fiction and becoming a trip to Ireland following the path taken in the fictional book Celtic Spirit: A Wee Journey to the Heart of it All by project collaborator Jeanne Crane.
A virtual tour is also under development consisting of a "bus tour" program that will allow participants to explore the journey with the help of a few computer applications and a variety of bibliographic resources.
This project is in the early stages of development.
This project is currently in development and includes a series of presentations and online resources that highlights how people consume and interpret the vast amount of information that we take in on a daily basis. The goal of the project is meant to help people develop skills to cope with large amounts of information and gain the ability to organize and breakdown the terabytes of data that is important to them.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Public Services Consultant and Outreach Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Psychology at SUNY Brockport
Administrative Assistant at South Central Regional Library Council
Reference Services Librarian, Adjunct Librarian Finger Lakes Community College
Adjunct Professor of Paralegal Program at Charlotte School of Law
CODING SPECIALIST at DR. JAMES EDMONSTON
Chair, Psychology Dept at SUNY Brockport
Reference and Instruction Librarian and ESL Educator