Consumer Insights and Marketing Research Professional, MA Developmental Psychology, Columbia University
- Greater New York City Area
- Market Research
Renee Cassard's Overview
- Director, Research and Analytics at PHD Media
- Strategic Research and Communications Consultant at nationwide clients, agencies and industries
- Director, Research Services at The Haystack Group
- Director, Brand Planning at Rapp Collins Worldwide
- Strategic Planning Consultant at Latham and Company
- Account Planning Consultant at West Wayne Advertising
- Research and Account Planning Consultant at breatheinteractive
- Account Planning Consultant at Blue Sky Advertising
- Research Consultant at BrightHouse Institute for Thought Sciences
- Junior Account Planner at FME
- Behavioral Scientist at Emory University School of Medicine
Renee Cassard's Summary
In 2010, Renee joined PHD and was on the winning new business team that brought GSK on board as the largest client at the agency. Renee began consulting with the Omnicom family in 2007, as Brand Planning Director and Consultant at RAPP WW in New York, where she led the deployment of online communications strategies for Merck pharmaceuticals. Recently, upon winning the global communications planning for GSK, Renee was promoted to PHD's Director of Global Research and Analytics. In her new position she is overseeing the global roll out and activation of consumer research and insights on GSK's Wellness, Upper Respiratory, and Skin Care business units.
In her role on PHD's GSK CHC brands, Renee brings over 14 years of experience to the team, incorporating consumer insights and market research into communications strategies. She holds a Masters in Developmental Psychology from Columbia University, where she studied critical reasoning and it relationship to human behavior, emotion and belief systems. She has applied her unique behavioral sciences background to marketing communications for clients across a number of industries including: Consumer Products/Services, Healthcare, OTC Pharmaceuticals, Education, Non-profit, Financial Services, Food/Beverage and PR/Digital and Offline Media over the course of her career.
In addition to her academic expertise, Renee has over a decade of designing qualitative and quantitative research studies including traditional, ethnographic, psychosocial and consumer profiling/segmentation studies. She has moderated hundreds of focus groups and in-depth interviews and worked with quantitative research teams to facilitate meaningful data interpretations for Fortune 500 clients such as Merck, Pfizer, Toyota and Philips.
In her global role, she is excited to bring insight to communications planning and strategic media initiatives at PHD and within the Consumer Healthcare function at GSK.
Renee Cassard's Experience
Director, Research and Analytics
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
August 2010 – Present (4 years 2 months)
• Serve as Account team’s liaison with client research/analytics staff, PHD/OMG research and analytics resources, and third party research providers regarding testing, modeling and or evaluation efforts on behalf of PHD clients.
• Oversee team of research analysts in the execution of PHD tools to optimize media targeting and tactics (e.g. Competitive Landscape, market sizing, Allocator, Palette, Curve, Scheduler, Weight Guidelines). Assists account team in reporting results, evaluating progress, and recommending next steps for clients.
• Provide research and analytics support on new business pitches for prospective clients such as GSK and Yahoo! Provide assessments of new media channels for clients (i.e. Discovery) to assess media opportunities and provide strategic recommendations for social and mobile media.
Strategic Research and Communications Consultant
nationwide clients, agencies and industries
2000 – Present (14 years)
Director level communications strategist with thirteen years experience.
Provide research and analytics services, media planning, consumer insights, brand strategy and strategic communications in online and offline, PR, DM, media and advertising environments.
Client work includes Fortune 500 companies Merck, Pfizer, GSK, Best Buy, TheraGenics, Mannington and Toyota.
Develop and execute research approaches using qualitative and quantitative methods to create strategic marketing platforms for variety of industries including: Consumer Products and Services, Healthcare, OTC Pharmaceuticals, Education, Non-profit, Financial Services, Food/Beverage and PR/New Media campaigns.
Digital planning experience includes leading research, strategy and communications in the following areas:
• Research and Development (consumer insights, target audience profiling, media targeting and allocation)
• Communication Strategies (online and offline integration, channel development for B2B and B2C audiences)
• Analytics and Measurement (Planning, during and post campaign analyses)
Director, Research Services
The Haystack Group
2001 – 2009 (8 years)
• Provided services as consultant and employee during eight year relationship with this strategic communications firm specializing in marketing to women.
• Spearheaded qualitative analysis of 16,000+ online entries for No Nonsense Between Friends campaign using Nvivo8 software. Provided overview of consumers using data trends as basis for nationwide and online PR campaign initiatives.
• Research lead for Best Buy; managed quantitative initiative including moderation of focus groups and in store intercepts. Identified behaviors and attitudes among female customers toward technology/electronics to develop clusters key for growth.
• Pfizer project lead – designed research for Oral Care OTC (Listerine, Listerine Pocket Packs and Brush Ups) and Upper Respiratory products (Benadryl, Sudafed). Moderated in-home affinity groups to identify oral care rituals, healthcare trends. Co-facilitated brainstorming sessions with advertising agency; developed branding platforms.
• Mannington floors research director – conducted in home and in store ethnographic research with women undergoing renovations to understand drivers, sales cycle and experience. Developed consumer profiles for sales team based on level of involvement. Implemented research findings centered around bringing nature into the home in product development and marcomm strategies.
Director, Brand Planning
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; OMC; Marketing and Advertising industry
2007 – 2008 (1 year)
• Full time consultant serving as Brand Planning Director for Merck (Zostavax Shingles vaccine) and Kaiser Permanente (Senior Advantage medicare insurance).
• Zostavax project lead during transition period from unbranded to branded communications; Led strategy in the consumer and pharmacy channels. Led online/interactive and quantitative research initiatives (i.e. measurement of DTC campaigns, website usability and eyetracking studies).
• Conducted additional qualitative work for Guardasil (HPV vaccine).
Strategic Planning Consultant
Latham and Company
January 2006 – July 2007 (1 year 7 months)
• Consultant in the development of video for on-demand internet channel. Developed qualitative psychological profiles of prospective users utilizing MRI database. Led strategy and creative direction among writers driving development of content.
• Led qualitative research initiative. Identified key messages for new small business consultancy, Kirschner and Lewyn.
Account Planning Consultant
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
June 2002 – July 2006 (4 years 2 months)
• Conducted target immersion studies for SE Toyota; provided creative team with consumer profile and advertising strategy.
• Moderated focus groups and delivered top level analyses for new business pitches on Zatarain’s and Pirelli tires.
• Conducted qualitative research to define brand and positioning for Amodel, Solvay Advanced Polymers.
Research and Account Planning Consultant
April 2001 – February 2005 (3 years 11 months)
• Led PFC Energy’s communications and website development research. Conducted interviews with CEO’s of Fortune 100 in the oil/gas/energy industries. Defined brand positioning and identified key messages for web launch.
• Led online research for weather alert software, WeatherBug; identified messaging, product attributes and pricing strategy.
• Moderated groups in T&L and wireless segments with CEO and high level IT professionals. Identified purchasing roles and develop industry aligned messages for target audiences of Cymbio, a mobile enterprise platform solution.
Account Planning Consultant
Blue Sky Advertising
April 2001 – December 2004 (3 years 9 months)
• Tested international and domestic radio advertising concepts for SMINT mints; provided feedback to creative department.
• Led new business planning research for multiple clients. Performed secondary research. Facilitated brainstorming sessions to generate new brand positioning for clients such as The Goodwill Games and Moe’s.
BrightHouse Institute for Thought Sciences
May 2000 – December 2001 (1 year 8 months)
• Collaborator in writing neuromarketing business proposal for The Coca-Cola Company. Utilized neuroscience techniques to understand brain activation patterns (i.e. emotional and self referencing regions) following exposure various brand elements.
Junior Account Planner
Nonprofit; 201-500 employees; Mechanical or Industrial Engineering industry
2000 – 2001 (1 year)
• Wrote creative briefs and provided strategic direction to aid creative department with specific advertising executions for Arby’s, GU University, Bernhardt Furniture, ShipChem Logistics, and First Data Financial.
• Following employee relationship, brought back as a consultant to moderate focus groups for Suntory Water and Crystal Springs. Analyzed consumer insights used to develop ad campaign.
• Trained in agency process used to test visual and conceptual elements. Provided strategic direction to creative department.
Educational Institution; 5001-10,000 employees; Hospital & Health Care industry
March 1998 – September 2000 (2 years 7 months)
• Lead research specialist for Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. Studied underlying biological components of behavior in populations afflicted with addiction, anxiety and schizophrenia using neuroimaging technologies.
Renee Cassard's Languages
Renee Cassard's Skills & Expertise
- Consumer Insights
- Marketing Research
- Qualitative Research
- Focus Groups
- Social Media
- Quantitative Research
- Quantitative Analysis
- New Business Development
- Customer Insight
- Brand Management
- Marketing Communications
- Public Relations
- Creative Strategy
- Competitive Intelligence
- Quantitative Analytics
- Market Research
- Marketing Strategy
- Strategic Communications
- Media Planning
Renee Cassard's Education
Masters, Developmental Psychology
2006 – 2008
Masters; Developmental Psychology from Columbia University's Teacher's College. Wrote her thesis on epistemological understanding, which examines the study of knowledge and sense of knowing. Renee's research emphasized the impact of each of the four core dimensions of knowing: stability (or certainty) of knowledge, criteria for justification, source (authority, etc.) of knowledge, and simplicity of knowledge. Empiricial work included research among students and teachers across social science, science and mixed domains. For more information, please contact.
BS, Molecular Genetics
August 1993 – May 1997
Activities and Societies: Cum Laude Honors Delta Gamma SU Award for Research Achievement
Renee Cassard's Additional Information
- Groups and Associations:
View Renee Cassard’s full profile to...
- See who you and Renee Cassard know in common
- Get introduced to Renee Cassard
- Contact Renee Cassard directly