Senior Software Developer at sonarDesign, Inc.
- Austin, Texas Area
- Computer Games
Paul Evans's Overview
- Senior Software Developer at sonarDesign, Inc.
- Senior Programmer at Freelance Programmer
- Contributor at #AltDevBlogADay
Paul Evans' Summary
I am an experienced programmer that takes pride in building great things. Plus I am a generally helpful person to have around! :-)
I am credited on three AAA games (Fable II, III and The Journey), a social game and several commercial products for libraries. I have developed many internal tools and also worked for games yet to see a release at Lionhead Studios - including some unannounced and Milo & Kate.
I relocated to Austin, TX from the UK in May 2011. Shortly afterwards I started working at Portalarium on their core tools and server technologies for Ultimate Collector & future titles. I'm credited via a collectible "bobble head".
I contribute to the programming community via #AltDevBlogADay - a site dedicated to sharing knowledge about the development of games. Plus when I can fix something in an open source project I like to submit patches / pull requests.
Paul Evans' Experience
Senior Software Developer
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Internet industry
February 2013 – Present (1 year 3 months) Austin, Texas Area
Creating something new and interesting.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Games industry
July 2011 – December 2012 (1 year 6 months) Austin, Texas Area
Generalist. Coding in C# for server and tools, ActionScript for client code.
• Converted Portalarium core libraries (C#) from SimpleDB to Couchbase - while keeping the changes required by the servers and games using the library to the minimum.
• Created new features & helped maintain all core server libraries + Ultimate Collector (C#/AS).
• Created customer service portal (C#) + other internal pipeline and data mining tools (SDB, Couchbase).
• Fixed bugs and improved performance of Ultimate Collector (ActionScript).
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry
January 2007 – May 2011 (4 years 5 months)
Game tools developer. Acting lead for Milo & Kate central tools, plus tools work for Fable III.
Credited as Programmer on Fable II (tools, bug fixing, polish) and Fable III (tools).
I have consistently delivered improvements and innovation to the central tools that have improved workflow for content creators. Where possible I keep changes made central so all projects can benefit.
Tools require C# and interop with native (C++) libraries and game engine code. Working with Fable and Milo requires C++ and related skills.
I have ownership of the Lionhead Text System (C#, MySql, MS SQL and Java) used to manage text, subtitles, speech and localisation for all Lionhead titles.
June 2001 – December 2006 (5 years 7 months)
DS was a small company creating software for libraries & archives that encouraged developers to be generalists and rewarded initiative with responsibility. On projects I led I was responsible for requirements gathering, design, architecture, implementation and deployment.
• Lead developer of a resource bookings client successfully rolled out country wide. The client was a replacement Windows login interface loaded by Winlogon (GINA) (C++).
• Developed and rolled out product to analyse Internet traffic for libraries in West Sussex.
• Developed unreleased portal using C#, Asp .Net, Ajax, SOAP web services.
• Introduced Bugzilla, a wiki, continuous integration (CruiseControl.Net) and unit tests.
• Co-authored an internal code standards & process document.
• Mentored other developers and pitched in as a developer on other products.
Paul Evans' Skills & Expertise
- Visual Studio
- Amazon Web Services
- SQL Server
- User Interface
- Game Design
- Microsoft SQL Server
Paul Evans' Education
Paul Evans' Additional Information
Contact Paul for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch