My Redondo Beach
Emmy-winning online editor specializing in digital journalism
|Recommendations||36 people have recommended Nicole|
Join LinkedIn & access Nicole's full profile
I am an Emmy Award-winning online news editor with a passion for writing, editing and all things online. I have experience with many facets of local news websites, including breaking news stories, reporting, writing, editing, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), tech support, photography, CSS/HTML code, video, photo galleries, and more. I have experience managing freelance writers and photographers, as well as bloggers.
I am a true team player who won't hesitate to help anyone on my team to the best of my ability.
Want to contact me? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 424-257-0525.
My Redondo Beach is the only locally owned and operated daily news website dedicated to Redondo Beach, Calif. This is a current project of mine designed to provide truly local news to Redondo Beach residents; help me brush up my skills with CSS and Wordpress; improve my photography skills; and keep my writing and reporting skills sharp.
- First (and occasionally the only) news source to provide information on resignation of Redondo Beach city manager, police standoff on Artesia Boulevard, and three-hour police search involving 8+ agencies, among other breaking news stories.
- Facebook page earned 600+ likes in a span of six months without using paid advertising of any sort.
- WordPress theme customizations done with CSS include adding background image, changing text size, changing position of story thumbnails, restyling certain text elements.
- Publish at least one Redondo Beach-related story per day through enterprise reporting.
- Update social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google+.
- Update YouTube account with new videos.
- Find and develop stories through social media.
- Photograph events.
- Attend council meetings.
Freelance website design, development for Arranaga Arabians, Ecobility Corp, Carver Pump Services, East Side Packing; editor of Palos Verdes Peninsula Horsemen's Association monthly newsletter, The Dispatch.
Sole editor managing Palos Verdes Patch, in addition to managing Redondo Beach Patch (see below). Responsible for keeping site content updated, promoting site on social media, marketing site and ensuring site meets aggressive unique visitor and engagement goals, among other duties.
- Increased unique visitors by 25 percent in first full month of editing site.
- Doubled Facebook likes within 18 months.
Editor for http://redondobeach.patch.com, a website dedicated exclusively to Redondo Beach. I strive to make sure that at least seven pieces of content are posted each weekday—three per day on the weekends—and promote the site via social media in order to make Redondo Beach Patch the go-to place for local news.
- Tripled average monthly unique visitor counts between April 2011 and February 2013, moving Redondo Beach Patch from under-performing site to one of the top sites in Los Angeles County.
- Multiple stories featured on AOL homepage
- Led all Los Angeles sites in pageviews, comments and other metrics for March 2013 municipal elections coverage.
- Doubled Twitter followers and Facebook fans
- Developed "Priciest Homes" weekly feature spotlighting expensive property on the market. This feature is a proven driver of pageviews for both Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes Patch sites, and has now been implemented up the West Coast.
- Helped beta-test "Patch 2.0" platform; served as unofficial tech support for other editors during transition
- Writing/reporting stories, profiles, etc.
- Photographing events
- Managing freelancers and freelancer payments
- Editing stories from freelancers
- Recruiting bloggers
- Ensuring site's directory is up-to-date
- Promoting the site through social media, including Facebook and Twitter
Verified teachers' identities for value-added ratings project; geocoded thousands of locations for Crime L.A. (part of Mapping L.A.) project; assisted with data entry on Community Colleges project; created ad modules with links through affiliate programs to relevant products to increase revenue for latimes.com; helped maintain Shop by Los Angeles Times section.
- Wrote articles based on reporters' notes and information received from the assignment desk on a daily basis
- Kept website on top of breaking news
- Prepared and uploaded video for website
- Wrote articles based on reporters' scripts
- Copy edited reporter-posted stories
- Maintained and wrote articles for investigative team's website section
- Created Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Baby Gabriel, Interactive, Solution Center and Verminator special sections, among many others
- Maintained morning show section
- Re-vamped politics, slideshows, serial killings special sections
- Increased online presence with new Twitter feeds, headlines widget e-mail signature
- Assisted in site graphics conversion and redesign
- Created and/or prepared sidebar material (e.g. slideshows, uncut video, maps) for stories
- Designed interactive features
- Answered viewer e-mail and telephone calls
- Worked with producers and reporters to drive content from broadcast to Web and vice-versa
- Updated social media services like Twitter and Facebook
- Administered off-site services like MaxPreps, Blogger, Feedburner, YouTube
- Created and maintained Sheriff Joe Arpaio blog
- Implemented and maintained CBS 5 Community Calendar
- Implemented KPHO.com Entertainment Calendar
- Trained and supervised web interns
- Trained majority of newsroom staff on ibPublish CMS.
- Converted freelancer's design for new health channel into objects compatible with ibPublish's drag-and-drop Page Builder.
- Beta-tested early and later versions of ibPublish
Helped customers find unique gifts, rang up transactions, calculated end-of-day sales totals, fed store pets (finches and fish).
- Reported and wrote stories for the Metro desk; two appeared on A1
- Helped produce (wrote, edited and/or taped) numerous online videos for presstelegram.com and other MediaNews Group websites
One-month internship with NBC10.com
- Maintained editorial content of the website by converting AP broadcast scripts into print stories and writing copy
- Created slideshows that appeared across entire network of NBC O&O TV station websites
- Wrote quizzes
See "NBC10.com Intern" under Internet Broacasting; I am still unsure as to which company I actually interned for.
- Used Adobe Photoshop to color-correct high-resolution photographs of ancient artifacts
- Organized photographic negatives of archaeological finds
- Helped with Maarav (journal) mailing
- Updated and maintained Inscriptifact.com
- Updated and maintained official West Semitic Research Project website
Updated website with photos of new motorcycles, copy-edited existing content, tweaked layout, significantly decreased pageload time
I received this award as part of an investigative team. In 2010, the advanced media (online) categories were combined with the broadcast categories, so we entered the online portion and the broadcast as a package. The broadcast portion, which I did not work on, consisted of a nearly 10-minute report and followups on abuse of power allegations against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. I produced the online portion of the entry, which included a Vuvox interactive featuring information about Arpaio's alleged targets and video of him blowing off our reporter; a blog about Arpaio's latest activities; and a special section with previous coverage on the sheriff.
I received this award as part of a team for a report on the border patrol. The five-day series of television reports was complemented by an online section that I produced, which included multiple stories based on the television reports, videos of the original reports as well as extended editions, raw footage and links to related content, among other items.
One of multiple members of the team that worked on Crime L.A., part of the Los Angeles Times' Mapping L.A. project. As part of the project, I manually mapped thousands of addresses in Los Angeles County that the computer could not process on its own.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Digital media leader, editor and educator
Local Editor at Patch.com
Digital Content & Social Media Strategist
Marketing Manager South Bay Galleria
Guest Editor at Monterey Herlad
Digital Media Executive, Team Leader and Builder, Journalist and Content Creator
Content Producer, Social Media Strategist, Journalist, Videographer
Community Engagement Editor at the Orange County Register.