Infrastructure Lead at Coursera
- San Francisco Bay Area
Nick Dellamaggiore's Overview
- Software Engineer - Infrastructure Lead at Coursera
- Principal Staff Engineer at LinkedIn
- Senior Business Applications Developer at VMware
- Computer Scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Lead Software Developer at Cal Poly State University
Nick Dellamaggiore's Summary
I'm a senior Java engineer/architect who's passionate about building great consumer internet products. I can work across the full stack, but I'm especially strong in server-side development.
Consumer internet and enterprise Java software development. Occasional dabbling in Ruby on Rails and Facebook application development.
Nick Dellamaggiore's Experience
Software Engineer - Infrastructure Lead
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Internet industry
September 2012 – Present (2 years 1 month) Mountain View, CA
Working with a team of super smart engineers in building out the infrastructure that serves up free education to millions of students around the world. We're hiring smart software engineers who are passionate about our mission: https://www.coursera.org/about/jobs
Principal Staff Engineer
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; LNKD; Internet industry
March 2005 – July 2012 (7 years 5 months)
Joining the company fairly early on, I've had the privilege of working with some amazing engineers on many cool product and infrastructure projects at LinkedIn. Here a few of my favorite accomplishments thus far while working here:
• rest.li: Designed and implemented the initial version of LinkedIn's next-generation RESTful service invocation framework.
• Twitter integration: Designed and implemented account linking and bi-directional status synchronization between LinkedIn and Twitter using Twitter's Streaming API, REST APIs and OAuth.
• Internal 'firehose': a realtime stream of all updates and activity on LinkedIn, built using Kafka, a high-throughput distributed messaging system (http://sna-projects.com/kafka). This data stream powers LinkedIn Signal and other forthcoming real-time products.
• Site-wide sharing: Designed and implemented the new rich sharing module on the home page and a generic 'object sharing' dialog for the rest of the site. This project also included the implementation of our link shortener, lnkd.in.
• LinkedIn Groups: Led a small team that took our fledgling Groups product from a simple badge on your profile to a vital professional collaboration space and a major engagement driver for the site
• Profile PDF: Exports your LinkedIn profile to a nicely formatted PDF file. I used Apache FOP for PDF rendering.
• Scalability: I helped keep the site up through periods of tremendous growth by profiling/tuning code, sharding databases, adding caches, optimizing SQL, diagnosing tricky distributed software issues and more.
In addition to coding, I perform code and design reviews, mentor fellow engineers, write copious amounts of wiki documentation and present my work at tech talks and company all-hands meetings. I also spoke at JavaOne 2008 and SD West in 2008/2009, presenting LinkedIn's overall site architecture along with an outline of our engineering process:
Senior Business Applications Developer
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; VMW; Computer Software industry
October 2004 – March 2005 (6 months)
Developed and maintained VMware's backend e-commerce systems.
Government Agency; 5001-10,000 employees; Research industry
June 2002 – October 2004 (2 years 5 months)
Developed medium-large scale business applications for internal Lab use (5000 users). Led efforts to develop in-house Java architecture and software tools. Evangelized Java technology to in-house development teams.
Lead Software Developer
Educational Institution; 10,001+ employees; Higher Education industry
March 2001 – June 2002 (1 year 4 months)
Led development of Java web applications for campus organizations and external clients.
Nick Dellamaggiore's Certifications
Functional Programming Principles in Scala
- May 2013
Principles of Reactive Programming
- December 2013
- May 2014
Nick Dellamaggiore's Projects
- June 2011 to Present
Rest.li is a REST+JSON framework for building robust, scalable service architectures using dynamic discovery and simple asynchronous APIs. Rest.li fills a niche for building RESTful service architectures at scale, offering a developer workflow for defining data and REST APIs that promotes uniform interfaces, consistent data modeling, type-safety, and compatibility checked API evolution.
Unified Social Content Platform (USCP)
- July 2011 to Present
The next-generation activity platform for LinkedIn
- August 2010 to March 2011
Applying professional faceted search to the real-time stream.
- January 2008 to February 2009
Initiated, built and grew Linkedin Companies from scratch to 10M pageviews/day, 1M company profiles.
Nick Dellamaggiore's Courses
BS, Computer Science, Mathematics
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
- Artificial Intelligence
- Database Systems
- Computer Graphics
- Real Analysis
- Abstract Algebra
Nick Dellamaggiore's Skills & Expertise
- Distributed Systems
- Messaging Systems
- Ruby on Rails
- Continuous Integration
- Technical Leadership
- Unit Testing
- Web Applications
- Java Enterprise Edition
- Software Engineering
Nick Dellamaggiore's Education
BS, Computer Science, Mathematics
1997 – 2002
Received "Outstanding Student Employee of the Year" award in 2002. Recognized out of over 1000 student employees on campus for my work in the Library Multimedia Group, a software development group serving the campus and other external clients.
Nick Dellamaggiore's Additional Information
Contact Nick for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Nick Dellamaggiore’s full profile to...
- See who you and Nick Dellamaggiore know in common
- Get introduced to Nick Dellamaggiore
- Contact Nick Dellamaggiore directly