University of Michigan
Computer Science Engineering
Product at SocialEdge, Inc.
|Recommendations||6 people have recommended Michael J|
Join LinkedIn & access Michael J's full profile
Computer Science Engineering
Michael currently serves as head of product for SocialEdge, a leading platform for social and content marketing campaign management and social media talent portfolio management.
In addition to his duties at SocialEdge Michael has also served as a Board Director for the Southern California Market Research Association. He has consulted on projects for the American Film Institute's Digital Content Lab. He previously co-coordinated the LA Geek Dinner and the LA Dataportability meetups and has volunteered for BarCampLA, Mindshare Labs, LAGFF, DonorsChoose.org, and other community service projects. He speaks at events on a number of topics including neurological brain research, interaction design, online metrics and modern consumer research, at venues including Annenberg at USC, SXSW, Digital LA, East LA College, Loyola Marymount, Mindshare LA, BarCampLA, and the IxDA LA Salon.
Michael previously spent 10 years as a Sr. Research Dir for Nielsen's Intl Film (NRG) and TV groups working with many studios and channels in media buying, tracking, pilot testing, ad effectiveness, diversity, and international media. Prior he sat in the Strategic Marketing Science group working advertising, brand and content strategy for film, television and technology clients using segmentation and modeling methods. During his tenure he piloted a new network of digital labs for testing consumers response and interaction to various forms of media & advertising across multiple content platforms. Michael was one of the first to evaluate Neurofocus before acquisition. He has served as TV product lead on entertainment opinion engine based social network HeyNielsen. He started in the Software Development designing online research applications for the primary television research group and helped to create ViewerCast, an online video platform for collecting qualitative research from webcams.
Customer Relationship Management
Consumer Market Research
Brand & Ad Effectiveness Research
Social Data Aggregation
Online Video Platforms
Platforms: NPower, Galaxy Explorer @Plan, NetView, VideoScan, ComScore, Omniture, Wordpress
Software: SPSS, MSOffice (Excel macros, pivots, etc), Adobe/Macromedia (Photoshop, Premiere, Fireworks, etc)
Lead evolution of cutting edge social media content marketing SaaS platform for customers across a diverse range of digital advertising and marketing disciplines.
• Working on-site with client, account management, planning research initiatives, interpreting research data sets, participating in marketing campaign brainstorms, correlating tracking data to media spend, presenting to department heads and intern management.
• Primary research methodologies include brand health tracking and creative testing.
• Focus on TV pilot and concept testing, cross platform ad effectiveness studies, consumer behavioral studies, TV program tracking
• Expanded TV pilot business internationally conducting a series of TV pilot tests in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Spent 2 months abroad in the U.K.
• New clients include MSOs and startup companies including DirecTV, OWN, AdKeeper, international departments of major TV Studios including Sony, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. NBC Universal, Discovery Networks as well as other networks
• Chapter Service Award recipient in 2010
• Responsible for partner group outreach, oversight of chapter communications, website & marketing
• Directed the creation of the chapter website, communications and advertising platform, built on WordPress and OpenX
• Manage digital advertising clients and assist in the coordination of annual events
• Responsibilities include comprehensive project management, including proposal, methodology, analysis, report writing, vendor management, and client presentations
• Focus on TV pilot and concept testing, cross platform ad effectiveness studies, consumer behavioral studies, and TV program tracking
• New clients include MSOs and startup companies
• New tools used: Galaxy Explorer
• Responsibilities include comprehensive project management, including proposal, methodology, analysis, report writing, vendor management, and client presentations, and creating custom ratings reports
• Focus on TV pilot testing, ad effectiveness and brand strategy studies, and product tracking for both television and technology clients
• Heavy experience with Nielsen data, with emphasis on projects that fuse behavioral, attitudinal and psychographic data from proprietary Nielsen data sets including TV ratings data, online and mobile behavioral data
• Clients include major broadcast and cable TV networks, TV studios, technology companies and professional organizations. Worked on many hit TV shows
• Responsible for oversight of chapter communications, website & marketing.
• Managed digital advertising clients. Assists in the coordination of annual events.
• Oversaw upgrade of chapter website, publishing & communications platform.
• Volunteered at various MRA events including Education Day, Holiday Party and Various Mixers.
• Key developer of the ViewerCast product, an online video portal for collecting qualitative depth interviews
• Helped design the entertainment opinion engine-based social network HeyNielsen! a tool used for social media measurement data
• Enhanced network of digital labs research facilities to include eye tracking, mobile & living room testing, and EEG brainwave measurement
Managed ad campaigns across multiple web properties and newsletters including paidcontent.org and moconews.net. Responsible for contact with advertisers, providing metrics & reports and scheduling ads, and managing inventory. Also helped in areas of business & product development. Worked on OpenX serving DART & Atlas ads.
• Worked on a team developing new qualitative research applications
• Designed web apps for web portal access to data, handled database design, creating taxonomies and intelligent data access solutions through web portals
Programmed in a .Net environment working on development of internal productivity applications.
Provided full service consulting to small business in the greater Ann Arbor Area. Services included web design & hosting, broadband internet, phone service and building wiring. Coordinated start to finish deployment and installation of wiring broadband internet service to commercial buildings and residential complexes. Worked with cisco router programming and configuring DSLAMs. Also installed PBX phone systems.
Server at fine dining restaurant for James Beard award winning chef, Jimmy Schmidt. Provided wait staff and catering service to high ranking political and automotive executives.
Worked with locations team, assisting with coordination of venues for production before and during production periods. Helped on set with normal PA duties.
Managed production office of day to day operations and coordinated other interns. Additionally, worked on set production, script coverages and story development.
Worked in digital graphics for commercials. Worked mainly on Discreet (now Autodesk) Inferno & Flame for compositing digital effects in commercials. Provided a small amount of unix programming for graphics plugins. Helped entertain clients in the studio.
Conducted research on behaviors and attitudes of giving programs of various corporations, trusts and foundations to better understand organizational alignment with NGOs with a large focus on children's education.
Activities and Societies: wrestling, tennis, NHS, TV Production, independent study C++, AP Psychics, AP Programming, AP Math, Lifeguard, Swim Instructor
Quoted in NYT Best Seller - Get Lucky: How to Put Planned Serendipity to Work for You and Your Business
Photo appeared on Front Page of LA Times Business section in article on coordinating the LA Geek Dinner
Distinguished Volunteer Service Award, 2010 - Marketing Research Association, Southern California Chapter
Nielsen Service Award - "Most Interesting Person In Research"
Tough Mudder - SoCal 2012
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Executive Director at The Nielsen Company
Media & Entertainment Research
Director of Research Operations at The Nielsen Company
VP/GM, U.S. Television Research & Analytics
Business | Product - SocialEdge, Inc.
Director, Research Operations at Nielsen Entertainment
Senior Vice President, Marketing, 20th Century Fox