Design Director/Principal at Malene B
- Greater New York City Area
Malene Barnett's Overview
- Design Director /Principal at Malene B Custom Handmade Carpets
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York
Malene Barnett's Summary
Malene B Carpets celebrate patterns, people and places in our global community. Our distinct designs offer bold, textural and unique solutions to transform your space, adding beauty and creating a conversation.
Your journey can begin by selecting a design from our curated collection or we can start from a blank canvas to create a one of a kind carpet that will perfectly compliment your space in your choice of color size and material.
Using only the finest materials and traditional weaving techniques, our handcrafted carpets are brought to life by master weavers.
We invite you to explore our collections and consult with us on your next project. From boutique hotels to luxury residences and anywhere in between, our goal is to provide you with the perfect carpet.
Set the tone. Complete your story. Bring your vision to life.
Malene Barnett's Experience
Design Director /Principal
Malene B Custom Handmade Carpets
September 2008 – Present (6 years 1 month) Brooklyn, NY
• Founder and Chief Designer of Malene B
• Source manufacturers in Nepal, China, India and Thailand for home furnishing products that includes textiles, decorative pillows, bedding and rugs.
• Vital to all aspects of client and vendor relations.
• Develop specification sheets, purchase orders and invoices. Coordinate shipping and freight.
• Responsible for sourcing, marketing, business development in the residential design trade market and hospitality industry.
Design Director- Rugs
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Textiles industry
October 2006 – December 2008 (2 years 3 months)
• Responsible for all aspects of the design process including market research, design concepts, yarn selection, construction techniques, color direction, and specification of CAD designs.
• Collaborated with retailers such as Macys, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Kohl’s and J.C. Penney to interpret their design concepts for licensed and private label programs that include Martha Stewart and Robert Allen Home.
• Worked with sales team in Bedding and Fabric divisions to create and cross merchandise coordinated rug designs.
• Traveled to China to develop new techniques for innovative handmade and machine made rugs.
• Supervised company’s design team in China.
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Wholesale industry
February 1999 – October 2006 (7 years 9 months)
• Designed the industry’s best selling line of handmade, novelty accent rugs that generated $17 million in company sales.
• Dramatically expanded company’s Christmas rug business to encompass 20% of the divisions’ sales.
• Created designs for license programs that included Waverly Fabrics, Nicole Miller, and Nautica.
• Traveled to the mill and worked with designers to develop machine made area rug collections.
• Directed in house and freelance designers on special projects
September 1996 – November 1998 (2 years 3 months)
• Designed the top selling line of African print fabrics that was distributed to major retail fabric stores nationally and internationally.
• Created design concepts and marketing strategies that increased sales by 40%.
• Responsible for all aspects of the design process including original artwork, strike-offs, production orders, sourcing fabrics and managing design library
• Followed sample and production orders with overseas factories
Malene Barnett's Honors and Awards
- June 2013
Malene Barnett's Projects
Team Members: Malene Barnett
- September 2011 to February 2012
• Graphic Design Workshops for elementary students
• Guest Lecturer at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine Trinidad and Tobago
• Fine Art instruction Workshops exploring painting and drawing techniques for High School Students
• Carpet design classes for children age ten and up
• Entrepreneurial classes on how to develop your own product line,manufacturing and working with showrooms for adults
• Guest speaker at Design Caribbean conference in the Dominican Republic
Team Members: Malene Barnett
- May 2012 to Present
Transitions explores the first language of Ethiopia, embroidered textiles of Mexico and the spirit-based sculptural art of Sri Lanka. Each design illustrates continuous growth and connectivity of world culture; capturing its heartbeat and reflecting on its energetic soul.
Malene Barnett's Skills & Expertise
- Apso Carpet Designer
- Social Media Marketing
- Product Development
- Fine Art
- Marketing Strategy
- Textile Design
- Interior Architecture
- Interior Design
Malene Barnett's Education
BFA, Fashion Illustration/Surface Textile Design
1992 – 1996
Stark Carpet Corporation, first place
The French Lace and Embroidery Federation, first place
Home Fashion Products Association, second place
Textile Design Medal
Fashion Institute of Technology, New York
BFA, Textile Surface Design
1992 – 1996
Malene Barnett's Additional Information
international travel, photography, sports, cooking, fine art,
- Groups and Associations:
Contact Malene for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch