- San Francisco Bay Area
- Gambling & Casinos
Jon Stevens's Overview
- Founder at Voost LLC
- Consultant at Wrap Media
- Consultant at Bitcoin Mining
- Consultant at New Context
- Member, Jakarta Co-Founder, Developer at Apache Software Foundation
- California State University-Dominguez Hills
- Bay Area Motorcycle Training
Jon Stevens' Summary
I am an agile open source developer with a boat load of experience delivering products, on time, in large scale, high availability, live production systems. I like to build dynamic websites with a lot of user interaction and solve challenging problems.
I enjoy working with a fast paced iterative development cycle in a small group of talented engineers. I value honesty, feedback and open communication.
I tend to place myself primarily in the role of platform architect / lead software engineer, but also like to help the operations team build reliable and scalable systems. I have a lot of experience as a founder of three diverse corporations.
Currently only interested in consulting work, although the right disruptive technology (such as bitcoin) might convince me otherwise.
I believe everyone should have a resume of open source work:
Google code: http://code.google.com/u/latchkey/
Jon Stevens' Experience
Partnership; 1-10 employees; Internet industry
August 2011 – Present (3 years 2 months) San Francisco
Online athletic event registration that doesn't suck.
Voost https://www.voo.st/ is a ground up implementation of a dynamic and scalable e-commerce website that is hosted on top of Google App Engine (Java), Cloudflare and Heroku (NodeJS, Java). Mobile friendly (responsive) and a focus on UX.
Some of the tools we are using to build the site: Resteasy, Htmleasy, Guice, Objectify-Appengine, Bootstrap3, AngularJS, RequireJS, CoffeeScript, LessCSS, Jackson, Cambridge Template Engine.
April 2014 – Present (6 months) San Francisco
Strong belief that bitcoin is revolutionizing the world. I have spent a lot of time gaining a deep understanding of most aspects of crypto currency.
Helped build two mining operations (5TH/s and 50TH/s). Advised on all aspects of the operation including electrical, hardware and software. Built a custom distribution of Raspbian OS with a minimal install of cgminer (https://github.com/lookfirst/btc).
Member, Jakarta Co-Founder, Developer
Nonprofit; 1001-5000 employees; Computer Software industry
November 1998 – Present (15 years 11 months)
I started off working on the Apache JServ project and the Servlet API. Then I helped co-found the Jakarta project and open source Tomcat. I started several large well known projects such as Apache Ant, Apache Turbine and Apache Velocity. I also discovered Lucene and helped bring it under the Apache Umbrella, which eventually led to many great advancements in the Java community.
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Insurance industry
August 2014 – August 2014 (1 month) Mountain View
Provide advice and help for troubleshooting and improving the performance of their Spring / Tomcat based applications. This is ongoing on a as needed basis.
Public Company; 201-500 employees; Computer Software industry
May 2013 – November 2013 (7 months)
Part of the team building CloudFoundry. Worked on the Runtime (public cloud) and Pivotal CF (cloud installer) projects. Gained a deep understanding of how all the pieces fit together and learned a lot about the Pivotal process for software development (pairing). Primarily wrote code in Ruby and a small bit of Go.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Insurance industry
March 2013 – March 2013 (1 month)
Built a Node.js based web scraping tool to gather data for use in sales from millions of pages. The tool uniquely uses a concurrent list of HTTP proxies around the world in order to circumvent access limits on the target website. Provides a simple frontend web interface to control and monitor progress. Server is hosted on Heroku with a MongoDB datastore.
December 2012 – March 2013 (4 months)
Public Company; 501-1000 employees; Internet industry
April 2010 – July 2011 (1 year 4 months)
* Re-architected the entire build and continuous integration model using ant and jenkins.
* Setup common tools to find bugs (and fixed them). Fixed >4,000 warnings (and quite a few errors) in the codebase (which also resolved several long standing issues). Broken window theory.
* Installed, upgraded and documented all of the development infrastructure (svn, mantis, mediawiki, jenkins, reviewboard, openfire, apache directory server).
* Designed and created build tools (sweetened) that enables new developers to get up to speed in hours instead of days.
* Migrated the entire company from a waterfall 3+ month cycle of development and release to a fast paced 3 week iterative workflow. Enabled sales / marketing to get new features into the pipeline more quickly. Also had the beneficial side effect of helping stabilize the production environment with fewer critical issues.
* Created an impressive debian/ubuntu based deployment system which allows clones of the entire application stack (25+ different debians) to be setup either on a single VM or in a cluster, by anyone, with a couple easy commands, in minutes. Previously, this was at least a weeks of worth of work, required both ops and engineering and an intimate knowledge of how everything fit together. This is also fully integrated into the build system.
* Worked on several major application features, enhancements and performance improvements. Designed a creative solution to the daylight savings time issues they were having.
* Deeply familiar with the Hadoop/Hbase stack, installation and deployment. Built map/reduce jobs to process many TB's of data. Built a modern springframework mvc / tomcat based restful service to interface with the cluster.
* Setup monitoring of the JVM's using Graphite and a tool I built called jmxtrans.
* Extensive use and understanding of Amazon Web Services / EC2.
Sr. Software Engineer
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Entertainment industry
May 2006 – April 2010 (4 years)
I was brought in with a team of two other friends to help clean up after previous failed IT efforts. We re-architected their entire IT infrastructure from the departmental hires, relationships to the rest of the company, network management all the way to the front end codebase. My primary role was focused on the codebase, scalability, reliability and system architecture. Outside of just coding, I gained experience with CDN's, video distribution, affiliate networks, user tracking, multi-domain single sign on, system monitoring and advertising networks. This was a challenging project because we had to work around an undocumented existing architecture and needed to be extra careful before making changes in order to not affect the flow of income.
President / CEO
November 2000 – January 2005 (4 years 3 months) San Francisco Bay Area
President and CEO of a ~1500 person bar / night club and arts entertainment venue in San Francisco. Gained a lot of experience dealing with various city agencies, employees and running an entertainment venue that hosted thousands of events.
Sr. Software Engineer
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Computer Software industry
February 2000 – September 2003 (3 years 8 months)
CollabNet develops tools to support software development. I was responsible for developing an issue tracking system called Scarab and helped design many of the core features and technologies of SourceCast (now TeamForge).
Privately Held; Myself Only; Marketing and Advertising industry
1995 – 2000 (5 years)
Clear Ink was an early internet ad agency with many large clients and millions of dollars in billings. Grew the company from 3 people to over 120. Responsible for all of the tech decisions and implementations.
Web Geek / QA / Tech Support
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Software industry
1994 – 1995 (1 year)
I worked for the AG Group which was the prior name for WildPackets. Myself and two other people then spun off Clear Ink as a sister company.
Jon Stevens' Skills & Expertise
- Distributed Systems
- Web Services
- Open Source
- Web Development
- Software Development
- Cloud Computing
- Web Applications
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Agile Methodologies
Jon Stevens' Education
1991 – 1994
Chemistry and Computer Science
Bay Area Motorcycle Training
DL389, Basic Rider Course
48 out of 50 on the written test and only 4 wrong on the riding tests. Still haven't died.
Jon Stevens' Additional Information
Contact Jon for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch