Media Arts & Studies
Marketing and Communications Manager at Signal (formerly BrightTag)
Join LinkedIn & access Laurel's full profile
Media Arts & Studies
I manage content marketing and social media for Signal, the global leader in cross-channel marketing technology.
I'm in charge of The Beacon, Signal's blog--I serve as editor or writer of all content that appears there. I manage and execute Signal's social media strategy on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. I also oversee Signal's monthly client newsletter, and strategize and write copy for Signal's email marketing campaigns.
I drive the marketing, outreach, and communications for Globus, a software-as-a-service for moving and sharing big data. It's like Dropbox, but for terabytes of data. I work for the University of Chicago at 1871, Chicago's tech and innovation hub.
• Responsible for driving the marketing, communications, and outreach strategy. Primary audiences are universities, laboratories, and scientists.
• Ideate and execute campaigns targeting prospects and current customers, via a range of channels: email marketing, strategic partnerships, conference presentations and trade shows, webinars, and social media.
• Maintain company blog and solicit posts from subject matter experts on staff, as well as customer stories and use cases. Post content to blog and website via Drupal.
• Take part in selection of key events and conferences to attend; submit proposals for panels and tutorials. Plan and market our own user event, GlobusWorld: develop conference schedule, invite keynotes, coordinate sponsorships.
• Manage relationships and campaigns with key partners, issuing joint press releases and conference panels.
• Responsible for evaluating and implementing marketing tools, including CRM, email marketing, and social media platforms.
• Manage social media accounts and implement social campaigns; write and distribute press releases.
I handled customer references, content marketing, and case studies at Rackspace, the open cloud company.
• Devised strategy in deploying customer stories in all settings. Created case studies, blog posts, videos, webinars, podcasts, and other content. Wrote, edited, and improved external communications.
• Coordinated all marketing activities featuring Rackspace Cloud customers.
• Cultivated relationships with companies large and small, enlisting customers as authentic partners in communicating Rackspace excellence in product and support.
• Identified customer references for a diverse portfolio of products, use cases, and verticals.
• Advised and aided teams across the business, including sales, public relations, marketing, and support.
• Managed a stable of freelance writers, designers, animators, and in-house videographers to produce high-quality content marketing campaigns.
• Expertly targeted communications to varied audiences, including businesses, developers, and journalists.
• Attended relevant conferences including OpenStack Summit, Cloud Connect, and South by Southwest.
• Reported for outlets including BBC's Americana and PBS Newshour Online.
• Field audio production for BBC's Radio 4, APM's Marketplace and Dinner Party Download, and NPR's Election 2010 and State of the Re:Union.
• Co-founder of Austin Listening Lounge, a radio producers' collective.
• Messaging and writing web content and collateral for Cloud Product Marketing team.
• Pitching, writing, and editing posts and case studies for company blogs.
• Managing all updates, writing posts, and identifying new contributors for Building43.com, a blog about technology startups featuring tech evangelist Robert Scoble.
• Scoured news reports for stories; wrote jokes and humorous questions for script.
• Interviewed news sources; booked guests for upcoming “Not My Job” segments.
• Selected and booked guests, wrote interview questions for live elections coverage in fast-paced environment.
• Produced and edited audio using digital recording equipment and editing software.
• Reported political stories and news spots for NPR; contributed to Vox Politics blog.
• Served as pool reporter for White House, Camp David, and Obama campaign events.
• Scripted, edited, and produced NPR’s weekly “It’s All Politics” podcast.
• Produced and edited interviews and reported pieces on deadline for Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and Weekend Edition.
• Pitched news-pegged stories and guests for future shows at editorial meetings.
• Wrote for "Today's Blogs" and "In Other Magazines" columns.
• Reported articles and wrote essays on political and cultural topics. Intern June-August 2005.
• Assembled briefings for David Gergen’s speeches and media appearances.
• Researcher for Jedediah Purdy’s book on conceptions of American freedom.
• Wrote copy, contacted media for projects at Harvard’s Center for Public Leadership.
• Fact-checked features and departments; conducted research for editors and writers.
• Reported and wrote science, sports, and environmental articles for print and online.
• Participated in editorial meetings; evaluated pitches from freelancers.
• Highest Honors in History. Thesis: "Poetry for the nation: Allen Ginsberg, Robert Lowell, and the politics of literary fame in the 1960s"
• Honors in Creative Writing
• Semester abroad in Prague
• Phi Beta Kappa
• Morehead Scholar
Activities and Societies: North Carolina Fellows leadership development program, Editor-in-Chief of Cellar Door literary magazine, APPLES Service Learning trip leader, UNC Rowing
The program invites 15 American journalists to Germany to participate in an intensive series of seminars, presentations, and visits to important German media, political, and cultural institutions.
The oldest merit scholarship program in the United States. A four-year full scholarship recognizing leadership, academic excellence, integrity, and athletics.
My site on cities: why they're great, and how we might make them better.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.