Laurelle Johnson, MBA
Business Strategist, VC Pitch Coach, Speaker | Aiding Entrepreneurs Nationwide - Tech, Mobile, Ecommerce, Crowd-funding
- Greater Los Angeles Area
- Professional Training & Coaching
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Overview
- Creative President at Strategies for Growth
- Creative President | capital funding pitch coach and strategist for startup entrepreneurs at Strategies for Growth
- Founding Member | promoting access to venture capital for women-owned startups at Women in LAVA
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Summary
Leveraging her background as an executive, strategist, and communications specialist, Laurelle F. Johnson prepares startup entrepreneurs to seek funds from venture capitalists, angel investors, and crowd funding campaigns.
Laurelle is particularly interested in collaborating with technology, mobile, and ecommerce entrepreneurs.
Her focus is on perfecting the startup’s marketing to prospective investors and getting the owners ready for conversations with investors. This can include:
► Analyzing the viability of the business model from an investor’s perspective, assessing the best target markets, and identifying the problem being solved.
► Strategizing content of the executive summary, pitch, business plan, and PowerPoint presentation.
► Developing a compelling pitch that will generate curiosity and interest from prospective investors.
In addition to her work with startups, Laurelle has 20 years of Fortune 500 sales and management experience that includes securing $300+ million in contracts, increasing annual sales 800%, and personally closing deals up to $75 million. She has a Pepperdine MBA and a BA in Communication.
Her business experience, both at high corporate levels and as an entrepreneur, puts her in an ideal position to craft messages that bridge the communication gap between visionary entrepreneurs and discriminating investors.
Laurelle’s most recent startup-focused activities have included:
- Aiding startups in securing $2.0M+ in funding with compelling pitches and materials. One client recently raised $400K.
- Speaking and training on the topic of “How to Pitch to Investors.”
- Participating on Selection Committee at Tech Coast Angels’ Fast Pitch to the Angels Competition for tech startups 6 years running.
Laurelle is available for speaking engagements and seminars, and welcomes opportunities to network with tech, infrastructure, and women-centric startups; text 818-512-6477 or email laurelle (at) laurellejohnson.com.
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Experience
Strategies for Growth
January 2009 – Present (5 years 9 months) Greater Los Angeles Area
Collaborate with technology startups, entrepreneurs, and growth companies to develop effective presentations to secure venture capital or angel funding, both as a consultant and as a volunteer. Have helped startups raise over $2M.
Selected as coach for pitching events nationwide; have been helping participants seeking capital with fine-tuning their pitches prior to events.
* Established relationships with business accelerators/incubators, Angels and Venture Capital firms.
* Coached clients for presentations at Crowdfunder X pitch competition, resulting in the clients achieving 1st place, 2nd place, and “attaboy.”
*Coached candidates for Women in LAVA, resulting in clients achieving 2nd and 3rd place.
Creative President | capital funding pitch coach and strategist for startup entrepreneurs
Strategies for Growth
January 2009 – Present (5 years 9 months) Los Angeles, Ca.
Collaborate with technology startups, entrepreneurs, and growth companies to develop effective presentations to secure venture capital or angel funding, both as a consultant and as a volunteer.
* Recently selected as coach for pitching events nationwide; will aid participants seeking capital to fine-tune their pitches prior to events.
Founding Member | promoting access to venture capital for women-owned startups
Nonprofit; 1-10 employees; Financial Services industry
October 2011 – Present (3 years) Los Angeles, Ca.
Collaborated within the Los Angeles Venture Association to create a Strategic Interest Group focused on increasing the accessibility of women-owned businesses to venture capitalists throughout the Los Angeles area. Serve on Steering Committee.
* Completed coaching of first two waves of women-owned businesses seeking capital. Candidates coached made the final cut for the Pitching Event.
* Secured $30,000 donation of branding assessment and consulting from Innovation Protocol, a brand development firm.
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Projects
Team Members: Laurelle Johnson, MBA
- October 2013 to October 2013
You’ve got your company going on and you are ready to raise funds to fuel your growth. But how do I say what I need to say? How do I build confidence to pitch in competitions and to investors?
The workshop will work allow students to practice their talk, get great feedback for improvements and walk out with a winning pitch. In addition, students will learn to structure and be able to practice answers to investor questions.
Team Members: Laurelle Johnson, MBA
- September 2013 to Present
Taught a 2 hour workshop to the pitching candidates on "Pitching to Win". Attendees TripScope won first place. Mychamberapp.com won second place, Hang Local won the Atta Boy award.
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Honors and Awards
Entrepreneur Mother of the YearWorking Mother Magazine
- May 2009
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Organizations
Los Angeles Venture Association/Women in LAVAMember of Steering Committee
- October 2011 to February 2012
Oversee the creation of Strategic Interest Group, Women in LAVA.
National Association of Women Business Owners - Los AngelesMembership Committee participant
Work to create and implement programs focused on the advancement and education of Women Business Owners in the Los Angeles Area.
Reading for the Blind and DsylexicMember of Development Committee
- June 2000 to July 2002
Worked with committee members to design and implement annual fund-raising event. Resulted in 50K raised for the year. Read once a week for 6 months, textbooks for distribution to students.
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Skills & Expertise
- Sales Strategy
- Account Penetration
- Building Customer Relations
- Global Business Development
- Executive Management
- Account Growth
- Sales Process
- C-level presentation skill
- Economic Growth
- Customer Retention
- Sales Management
- Client Retention Programs
- Marketing Strategy
Laurelle Johnson, MBA's Languages
English(Native or bilingual proficiency)
French(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Spanish(Limited working proficiency)