Agile Expert & Agile Coach - www.Agile-Doctor.com
- Phoenix, Arizona Area
- Information Technology and Services
Larry Apke's Overview
- Principal Consultant / Agile Coach at Mindtree
Larry Apke's Summary
Leader in Software Development, Agile Coach
Proven Leader in Agile Development – Certified Scrum Master (CSM) - Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP) - Author of Understanding The Agile Manifesto: A Brief & Bold Guide to Agile
A recognized leader in the Agile community and expert speaker, giving presentations to many different groups such as the Scrum Users Group, Java Users Group, Desert Code Camp and others. Founder of the Agile Coffee Group in San Antonio.
Highly accomplished visionary executive with history of technology leadership and innovation.
Results-oriented, decisive leader, with proven success devising and implementing solutions that deliver solid ROI for organizations in various industries, including financial, software, education, healthcare, and aviation.
Adept at managing software development life-cycle projects using Agile techniques, building client relationships and establishing effective long-term IT and operations strategies.
Excellent communicator and creative problem solver; proficient at leading software development teams.
Larry Apke's Experience
Principal Consultant / Agile Coach
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; MINDTREE; Information Technology and Services industry
January 2014 – Present (9 months) Phoenix, Arizona Area
Given sole coaching responsibility for a very large program initiative at a local financial services company. This multi-year, multi-million dollar program is composed of dozens of teams that are transitioning from waterfall to agile scrum.
Agile Coach (Contract)
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Staffing and Recruiting industry
February 2013 – December 2013 (11 months) San Antonio, Texas Area
Coached numerous scrum teams (approximately 15) at a financial services company (USAA) as they move from Waterfall to an Agile Scrum implementation.
Utilized years of Agile Scrum experience to bring teams quickly into compliance with internal company goals.
Worked with the teams and management to train company-wide employment of excellent software development practices like BDD/TDD, Pair Programming, Static Code Review and Continuous Integration/Deployment/Delivery.
Chosen to be the lead agile coach for the prestigious Innovation Lab where numerous projects where taken from proof of concept (POC) to end customers in less than 90 days.
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
August 2012 – February 2013 (7 months) Tempe, AZ
Used my extensive knowledge of Agile and Scrum to coach multiple teams and clients including Xerox and Salt River Project (SRP). Most engagements entailed transitioning and supporting new teams as they moved from “waterfall” type development into Agile. Assisted in setting up an new Agile practice for Neudesic. Lead teams in Microsoft custom software development and Business Intelligence / Enterprise Data Warehouse creation using practices such as BDD/TDD and Continuous Delivery.
Scrum Master / PM
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Financial Services industry
October 2011 – August 2012 (11 months) scottsdale, arizona
Used extensive knowledge of Agile and Scrum to develop best practices for software development projects throughout the company. Led three different scrum projects and teams in developing financial fraud detection software including a team that responsible for creating Enterprise Service Bus Platform, underlying physical and logical data models, a data acquisition framework and big data infrastructure using VDB, Vincio, Sterling Integrator and Hadoop.
● Introduced and spearheaded adoption of BDD (using Spock BDD Framework on top of J-Unit) which resulted in better understanding of requirements, increased communication among team members, faster adoption of TDD, unit test coverage of new code over 90% (as measured by Clover), fewer defects and faster completion of functionality.
● Pioneered the use of automated testing not only with unit testing but also automated integration and acceptance testing.
● Championed the use of the new Arquillian testing framework (from JBoss) to allow for better integration and acceptance tests on the developer machines.
● Managed adoption of continuous delivery techniques using the Atlassian Suite of products (Bamboo, Artifactory) and SVN to cut delivery to production-like environment from months to a single two-week sprint.
● Created reporting methodology for increasing transparency of projects company-wide.
● Successfully led my teams from a Waterfall to an Agile mindset.
● Led the Rally implementation project and used my prior knowledge of Rally and other Agile software tools (including Version One) to establish best practices for our scrum teams and integrate Rally with our existing Jira implementation
● Introduced a new pattern of grooming stories that allowed for much more accurate sprint planning, and longer term predictability (over 80% of all stories completed each sprint). This allowed for creation of the company’s first release burndowns.
Scrum Master - Contract
Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Public Safety industry
August 2011 – October 2011 (3 months) Scottsdale AZ
Contract position as full time scrum master. Hired as a contractor to turnaround a failing Agile Scrum adoption. In just three months was able to show a significant improvement of adherence to Agile principles and Scrum methodology. Trained existing personnel on how to properly do Agile Scrum software development.
● Created innovative means of determining level of adoption of Agile and Scrum. My efforts led to an increase of 72% self-reported adherence to Agile principles and a 43% increase in Nokia Scrum Test.
● Increased team transparency an average of 67% from first to last sprint.
● Developed the first ever long term release plan by proper application of story sizing (points).
Software Engineering Manager
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; APOL; Higher Education industry
August 2010 – August 2011 (1 year 1 month) Phoenix, Arizona Area
Managed seven software developers in the development of six software products that were used by the Registrar’s office at University of Phoenix. Responsible for disseminating Agile SCRUM throughout the 65 person business segment and training management staff on its adoption. Managed a small team of developers that created platform services.
● Led adoption of Agile Methodology for seven teams of software developers.
● Worked closely with Project Management to adapt projects to work with existing Version One software, allowing for better project tracking and increased Agile scrum adoption within division and Apollo IT as a whole.
● Added adoption of personal code review, peer review, BDD, TDD, automated testing and continuous builds.
● Due to extensive experience with offshore development, training and agile, created a new hire training framework for both on and off shore, reducing the on-boarding of new resources.
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
September 2009 – August 2010 (1 year)
In IT these days you are asked to be more productive
while keeping costs down.
We can help.
We take a holistic look at your current IT department,
provide a plan to increase productivity and reduce costs,
and roll up our sleeves to help you implement the plan to
While not all companies can afford to have a full time CIO,
everyone can benefit from our virtual CIO services.
Director of Software Development
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; Computer Software industry
October 2004 – August 2009 (4 years 11 months)
Have had a number of different positions with Harris Computer Systems/Maximus :
Director of Software Development (Application and Reports)
Manager of Web Based Learning
Led 20+-person team in all facets of software development in J2EE in an Agile/Scrum environment, to include gathering and analyzing requirements; establishing project scope and deliverables; designing, testing, and implementing solutions; overseeing release management; and providing post-implementation support. Analyze processes and incorporate proven development methodologies to improve cycle times and deliver high-quality products. Collaborate with clients, user groups, executives, and cross-functional groups to identify and resolve issues. Direct construction of web-based learning tools and initiatives, including online help products for internal and external applications. Design and deliver comprehensive end-user software training. Institute formal policies and procedures to manage release of new elearning and online help solutions. Teams that were managed used the following technologies: Java, Java Struts, Java Beans, OAS, Oracle 10g, JDBC, XML, XSL, SQL and others. Spearheaded critical California State Reporting project. In addition to being the Business Analyst for team, also creating database schemas, writing SQL code and SQL procedures for data warehousing.
Dr. Stork Software
May 1995 – December 2007 (12 years 8 months)
Directed technical and sales operations, establishing and cultivating client relationships to ascertain business needs and devise technical solutions and training to surpass stated requirements. Designed interactive websites and presentations. Trained clients on effective application of various technologies to facilitate strong product marketing and service delivery. Served as on-site project manager, solutions designer, and programmer. Oversaw general business administration, to include business planning and forecasting, budgeting, and financial management.
Larry Apke's Publications
Authors: Larry Apke
- Kindle EBook
- June 4, 2014
Whether you're part of an agile team, transitioning to agile or interested in agile development, the Agile Manifesto is the core for this methodology.
Without understanding the Agile Manifesto's values and principles, there is no way to truly be Agile.
This book gives insightful, bold commentary from the author's own experiences on how to follow the Agile Manifesto and gives further understanding into the philosophical underpinnings.
Hollow ceremonies are ways to "do" Agile, but in order to achieve true agility we must be Agile.
Larry Apke's Skills & Expertise
- Agile Methodologies
- Software Development
- Software Project Management
- Java Enterprise Edition
- Business Intelligence
- Project Management
- JBoss Application Server
- Requirements Analysis
- Test Driven Development
- Test Automation
- Cross-functional Team Leadership
- Business Process
- Data Warehousing
- Agile Project Management
- Web Applications
Larry Apke's Education
Larry Apke's Additional Information
Contact Larry for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- expertise requests
- getting back in touch