Copy Editor at HY Connect
- Greater Chicago Area
- Information Services
Kaitlyn Tierney's Overview
- Copy Editor at HY Connect
- Communications Manager at Center for Health & Social Sciences, University of Chicago Medical Center
- SAT Instructor at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions
- Assistant Librarian at Zoological Society of San Diego
Kaitlyn Tierney's Summary
I'm a writer, editor, and information professional with a strong affinity for new technology.
• writing; research; technology; information organization; editing/proofreading; transcription; content strategy; communications; strategic planning and leadership; attention to detail
• Microsoft Office; Open Office; Apple iWork; Microsoft and Mac OS; Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver; Filemaker Pro
• cataloging; serials/database management; acquisitions; reference; archives; records management
• HTML; CSS; Web 2.0, XML
• photography; web design; print layout
Kaitlyn Tierney's Experience
Partnership; 51-200 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
April 2014 – Present (6 months) Chicago
Nonprofit; 5001-10,000 employees; Hospital & Health Care industry
August 2010 – April 2014 (3 years 9 months)
• Managed internal and external communications
• Web site design, development, and content strategy
• Print layout and design, including three annual reports
• Weekly e-newsletter/direct marketing campaign, social media
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; WPO; Education Management industry
June 2008 – August 2010 (2 years 3 months)
• Created individualized study plans for tutoring students in SAT-level math and verbal and test-taking methods.
• Taught SAT prep classes for all levels of high school students encompassing writing skills, reading comprehension, math and logic.
• Administered practice SAT and ACT tests, represented Kaplan at marketing events, and graded student essays in accordance with College Board grading practices.
• Served as a mentor and resource for high school students during college application process.
Nonprofit; 1001-5000 employees; Nonprofit Organization Management industry
April 2007 – July 2010 (3 years 4 months)
• Conducted systematic reviews of literature for staff in research areas of veterinary medicine, animal husbandry, zoology, conservation biology, genetics, ecology, and other biological sciences.
• Provided research support and information services to all employees, including researchers, administrators, curators, finance, and grant writers.
• Managed all print and online journal and database subscriptions with a budget of $75k+ annually.
• Conducted original and copy cataloging for all library materials using OCLC and Library World software.
• Maintained library website and provided IT support for library patrons on Mac and PC platforms.
• Supervised and mentored library science volunteers and interns.
• Implemented digitization process and transitioned to Web Purchasing for library financial records.
• Created Internet accessible databases of staff publications and other electronic resources.
• Transitioned database of Society Archives from outdated FileMaker Pro format to Archon, a searchable, online-accessible open-source archival management application.
• Created sitemap index of library website and integrated Google Custom Search Engine.
• Served on organization-wide Strategic Planning Committee and headed a strategic planning sub-committee.
• Participated in specialized Leadership Development program for supervisory staff, including modules in conflict management, coaching, and creating a positive work environment.
• Administrated Google Analytics to track and monitor library’s web traffic statistics.
Archivist, San Diego Chapter
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Nonprofit Organization Management industry
December 2009 – May 2010 (6 months)
• Conducted historical research with Archives Committee (2009) and as Chapter Archivist (2010).
• Maintained Chapter Archives and headed Archives Committee.
• Planned events and seminars with Programming Committee, including collaborative events with other San Diego professional associations.
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Museums and Institutions industry
March 2006 – March 2007 (1 year 1 month)
• Provided reference support to curators, educators and other museum staff for exhibit and program development.
• Transitioned from EOS GLAS system to web-based OPAC and cataloging module.
• Supervised library volunteers and interns in shelf read, shelving, organization of vertical files, and inventory of serials.
• Evaluated and organized rare books collection, including developing collection guidelines and salvage priorities.
• General IT support for library staff, including hardware and software installation and updates, transition to online LIS, and troubleshooting for network users.
• Conducted cooperative and original cataloging of library collection using OCLC and Z39.50 interface, in accordance with ARLIS NH Schedule for artistic photography.
• Developed procedures for library marketing, including creating a library blog and standardized web presence.
• Coordinated and orchestrated Library Grand Opening event for 400+ invitees.
Front Desk Production Assistant
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Legal Services industry
July 2005 – January 2007 (1 year 7 months)
• Front desk reception and multi-line phones for busy court reporting office.
• Proofread and inspected deposition transcripts and coordinated error correction with court reporters.
• General IT support for satellite office, including hardware and software installation and updates, network setup, and troubleshooting for network users.
• New hire selection process for San Diego sales force, including administering tests and psychological assessments to potential candidates.
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Publishing industry
March 2003 – June 2005 (2 years 4 months)
• Conducted online research and analysis for customer database and securing copyrights.
• Edited, compiled, photocopied, and arranged academic materials into course packets and custom publishing projects.
• Designed print and online order forms for new e-commerce website.
Kaitlyn Tierney's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Volunteer STEM Mentor
Web-Making Workshop 2014, Adler Planetarium
February 2014 – April 2014 (3 months)
Mentored high school students who were participating in a multi-week program to learn how to build websites using HTML and CSS. Students constructed websites based around various civic issues, with guidance and support from experienced hands-on mentors.
Causes I care about:
- Animal Welfare
- Arts and Culture
- Civil Rights and Social Action
- Economic Empowerment
- Poverty Alleviation
- Science and Technology
- Social Services
Kaitlyn Tierney's Organizations
- March 2013 to Present
National Association of Science Writers
- January 2011 to February 2013
Special Library AssocationArchivist, San Diego Chapter
- February 2007 to December 2011
American Library Association
- January 2007 to December 2010
Kaitlyn Tierney's Languages
Kaitlyn Tierney's Courses
Certificate in Medical Writing and Editing
University of Chicago
- Interpreting & Reporting Biostatistics
- Introduction to Medical Editing
- Designing and Editing Tables and Graphs
- Advanced Medical Editing
Kaitlyn Tierney's Skills & Expertise
- Strategic Planning
- Science Writing
- Graphic Design
- Strategic Communications
- Microsoft Office
- Web Design
- Web 2.0
- Filemaker Pro
- Information Management
- Social Media
- Library Science
- Online Research
- Information Architecture
Kaitlyn Tierney's Education
Certificate in Medical Writing and Editing
2011 – 2012
Coursework in medical writing & editing, biostatistics, visual presentation of data.
MLIS, Library & Information Science
2006 – 2007
Coursework in cataloging, XML, web design (HTML & CSS), management, information retrieval and information architecture, user interface design, international libraries.
BA, Literature, Fine Arts
2001 – 2005
Activities and Societies: KSDT Radio, study abroad program
Kaitlyn Tierney's Additional Information
Contact Kaitlyn for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch