- Del Mar, California (Greater San Diego Area)
Greg Kostello's Overview
Greg Kostello's Summary
I love building products that people love using. Nothing is more satisfying than working with a team to create something that is new, impactful and serves the need of people to create and express themselves.
I strive to create an environment where brilliant people can achieve their goals and build products that are elegant and efficient in form and function.
Specialties: - Individual contributor, manager or executive officer at seven start-ups and early stage organizations.
- Worked for Apple (Claris), Netscape, AOL, MP3.com, Vivendi/Universal, Kintera, VMIX and Givit.
- Consulted with various media, Internet and non-profit organizations on media, information security and internet strategy.
Greg Kostello's Experience
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Media Production industry
June 2014 – Present (4 months) Greater San Diego Area
QuickFire enables cloud-based transcoding that radically speeds the delivery of digital video to “Any Screen” devices.
Incremental speed improvements for video transcoding are not sufficient to address the "perfect storm" of exploding video traffic colliding with new processor-intensive encoding solutions exacerbated by the rapid proliferation of new mobile, home and office device profiles to support.
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Internet industry
August 2011 – Present (3 years 2 months) San Diego, CA
Givit is the easiest, most powerful way to create mobile videos.
What Problem Does Givit Solve?
- Shooting video is easy and on every device.
- But creating good video is hard.
- Givit makes it easy to create video highlights right from your smartphone
The Givit App makes it easy for anyone to turn their unedited clips into a polished video that they want to share. Givit turns hours of work into minutes of creative fun. Quickly pick the best parts from your videos, add music, special effects, filters and transitions all on your iPhone or iPad and then share privately or with the world.
Givit is built on the VMIX SaaS video platform.
VMIX provides a SaaS platform for mobile and online media management and delivery. Developed with high-volume content producers in mind, the VMIX Media Management Platform powers the online video offerings of top online publishers in media, entertainment and enterprise.
As a founder of VMIX and Givit, I’ve been responsible for the direction of the company and overseeing the operational success of the VMIX platform and the Givit product. I greatly enjoy developing products that exceed people's expectations, giving them new ways to communicate using video.
Givit Technology: IOS, AWS, Open Source
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Online Media industry
October 2005 – September 2011 (6 years) San Diego
Started SaaS video platform company. Wrote business plan, raised VC capital and hired engineering and product team and lead the team through all phases of development. Worked closely with sales and customers throughout the lifecycle of the product. We created a video platform used by hundreds of media companies, Flip and NASA. The VMIX platform which at one point managed 23 millions and 750TB of media, allowed the company to pivot to Givit.
SVP Product Management
Public Company; 201-500 employees; KNTA; Computer Software industry
January 2005 – August 2005 (8 months)
Responsible for managing and developing sales driven and strategic product goals.
Kintera is the leading provider of "software as a service" solutions for the non-profit sector. Our product line includes an integrated hosted solution that enables non-profits to manage their organizational life cycle.
The product offering includes integrated CMS, CRM, opportunity management, product support, accounting, workplace giving, fund management and membership management.
Kintera also provides consumer facing offerings such as Kintera.org and Kintera GiftCard.
President, VU Net Technologies
VU Net Usa
August 2001 – August 2002 (1 year 1 month)
Post-merger with Vivendi/Universal, my responsibilities included integrating the organization within the parent company. Oversaw technology and business development of new entity.
- Within six months of joining V/U, our team migrated the V/U European and US Internet entertainment sites to a single technology platform reducing overall expenses in bandwidth, licensing and overhead and at the same time increasing the features, capabilities and capacity of the platform.
- Successful completed and deployed Pressplay backend system. Division acquired by Napster in 2003.
- Enhanced eCRM system according to Universal Music and Universal Group customer requirements. The system was found to be extremely cost effective compared to similar products on the market.
- Working with UMG, the team extended the MP3.com content management system and created a general repository for UMG digital masters. System is presently in use.
[Joined V/U through acquistion of MP3.com]
EVP Engineering, MP3.com
Public Company; 201-500 employees; MPPP; Internet industry
June 1999 – July 2001 (2 years 2 months)
- Worked closely with sales and marketing to maximize business opportunities.
- Developed business processes and innovative in-house technology that was instrumental in rapidly producing high quality products.
- Worked closely with V/U business and technology leaders on the acquisition of MP3.com.
- Managed patent portfolio.
- Developed in-house e-mail marketing system capable of delivering over 120 million custom e-mails per month.
- Migrated MP3.com technology platform to an ASP model allowing sales and marketing to manage, develop, deploy and analyze all campaigns without dependencies on any technical staff.
- Responsible for technology strategy and development of MP3.com. Combined Open Source technology (Linux, Apache, Perl, MySql, XML) with proprietary technology (Microsoft, Sybase, Oracle) to minimize development expenses and maximize strategic opportunities.
- Managed organization during times of crisis and growth.
Engineering Manager, Netscape
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; NSCP; Computer Software industry
October 1997 – June 1999 (1 year 9 months)
Managed technology team co-located in San Diego and Mountain View, CA.
- Responsible for product plan, development schedule and engineering plan for Composer module.
- Developed system using a platform neutral approach -- 95% of code was shared between the Linux, Windows and Mac versions. The core engine was a extension of the Gecko layout engine.
[Joined Netscape through acquistion of DigitalStyle]
Founder, Engineering Manager
May 1995 – October 1997 (2 years 6 months)
Co-founded web software development company. Netscape acquired company in June of 1997.
- Worked with team to develop initial product plan.
- Developed editing modules for first product, WebSuite.
- Engineering manager for all further phases of the product.
June 1988 – May 1991 (3 years)
Software engineer on MacWrite IIJ (Japanese). The MacWrite IIJ product became the number one selling Macintosh product in Japan upon release. Developed software style sheet engine for MacWrite Pro. Primary engineer on the editor for unreleased e-mail product.
Greg Kostello's Patents
Inventors: Greg Kostello, Scott Gay, Sean Meiners, Tim Flack, Josh Gaines, Phil Chen, Lonnie Brownell, Julian Santos III
- United States Patent 8,745,500
- Issued June 3, 2014
A window displaying at least one video clip and at least one highlight element is presented in a graphical user interface on a mobile device having a touch screen interface. Thereafter, user-generated input is received via the graphical user interface selecting one of the at least one highlight element during display of the at least one video clip. In response to the user-generated input, at least one thumbnail is displayed (concurrently with the window in the graphical user interface) that corresponds to a segment of the video clip being displayed. A video file is then generated or modified that includes for at least one thumbnail, the corresponding segment of the video clip. Related apparatus, systems, techniques and articles are also described.
Greg Kostello's Skills & Expertise
- Mobile Devices
- Enterprise Software
- IT Strategy
- Product Management
- Mobile Applications
- Software Development
- Strategic Partnerships
- Business Development
- Web Video
- Venture Capital
- Cloud Computing
- Product Development
- Email Marketing
- Strategic Leadership
- Online Marketing
- Mobile Internet
- Startup Development
- Turn Around Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Integrated Marketing
- Media Technology
- Mobile Marketing
- Product Marketing
- Go-to-market Strategy
- Online Advertising
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Social Media Marketing
Greg Kostello's Education
Greg Kostello's Additional Information
Genomics, alternative energy, artificial intelligence
- Groups and Associations:
Contact Greg for:
View Greg Kostello’s full profile to...
- See who you and Greg Kostello know in common
- Get introduced to Greg Kostello
- Contact Greg Kostello directly