Assistant Director for Alumni Programs, Career Services
I help Syracuse University students and alumni to craft their career stories. Connector. Speaker. Teacher. CNY Promoter.
|Recommendations||6 people have recommended Kim|
Join LinkedIn & access Kim's full profile
Assistant Director for Alumni Programs, Career Services
I'm a former television journalist with a passion for public speaking and connecting people. I love to write...in 140 characters - and longer formats, too. :)
At Syracuse University, I enjoy helping our alumni to maintain strong ties to our alma mater. I manage the LinkedIn group 'CuseConnect, making connections between SU students and alumni for career advice and professional development. I also oversee the Twitter handle @WorkingOrange, which features Syracuse University alumni sharing "day in the life" tweets and offering advice to students and fellow alumni. I use social media extensively (primarily as @kimincuse) and have helped our office to develop a strong presence on Twitter (@CareerSU and @WorkingOrange), Facebook, YouTube, and Pinterest. I also contribute to our office's blog, A Slice of Advice.
In addition to making connections both on and off campus and to teaching students the ins and outs of using LinkedIn, I also help to plan SUccess in the City networking events - perhaps in the city where you live! The events offer Syracuse University students and alumni the chance to connect face-to-face.
If you're a Syracuse University alum looking to hire students and/or fellow alumni, please reach out to me! We love sharing #HireOrange opportunities.
Specialties: Networking, alumni relations, alumni engagement, community building, public speaking/presentations, event planning, social media consulting, personal branding
- Ambassador for Syracuse University and Career Services utilizing my personal Twitter account (6,500+ followers)
- Counsel and advise individual faculty, staff, and University departments on social media strategy, focusing on (but not limited) to LinkedIn and Twitter. I have done hundreds of presentations on LinkedIn.
- Manage the LinkedIn group 'CuseConnect, making connections between students & alumni for career advice and internship/job opportunities (11,500+ members in three years)
- Co-creator and manager of @WorkingOrange, a Twitter handle that allows our alumni to share details of their work days and advice with both students and fellow alumni. It's job shadowing...via Twitter! @WorkingOrange has been nationally recognized by the National Association of Colleges and Employers and grew to 3,000+ followers in a year and a half.
- Plan and emcee SUccess in the City networking events across the country, which offer Syracuse University students and alumni the chance to connect face-to-face. Attendance at these events ranges from 30 - 300 alumni.
- Coordinate Syracuse University's Alumni Speaker Series, which brings successful alumni back to the SU campus to share their career journeys with our students
- Developed the YouTube Channel for the Career Services Office, which involved shooting video profiles of our alumni that gave them the opportunity to share their career stories (nearly 30,000 views in three and half years)
- Edit the office’s Slice of Advice blog, and contribute to @CareerSU Twitter handle and Facebook page
- I teach BDJ 204 (Broadcast and Digital Journalism: News in a Multimedia World), where students learn how to be effective local news reporters in the Syracuse market.
- "Bridge Street" is on daily M-F at 10 a.m. on Channel 9 in Syracuse and highlights the amazing happenings in the Central New York community.
- As a regular guest on the show, I discuss how viewers can use social media to enhance their careers, search for jobs, keep up with current trends, etc.
- First reporter to join Twitter and actively use the medium to generate story ideas
- Recognized as a real “people person” with the ability to connect with viewers of all ages, especially through the use of Facebook and Twitter
- Generated news stories on a daily basis and delivered those stories under deadline pressure on-air for 5-7am, 5-6:30pm and 11pm top-rated newscasts
- Developed an extensive network of contacts throughout the Central New York region
- Fill-in co-host of Bridge Street, a show highlighting the many positives of living and working in Central New York. Also fill-in anchor of The Morning News Weekend.
- Connected with incoming freshmen to SU's College of Arts & Sciences and to help them plan out their first semester class schedules
- Spent several nights a week calling the students and going over their selections with them to make sure they were taking a challenging, yet manageable, courseload and fulfilling SU's core requirements
This volunteer role allows me to provide advice and guidance to United Way staff on communications with donors, volunteers and the community at large, as well as to promote the United Way through the Campaign and in other ways throughout the community.
As a cabinet member, I'm part of planning and producing the United Way's message strategy, Campaign materials, advertising, public relations, and special events.
ARISE’s mission is "to work with people of all abilities to create a fair and just community in which everyone can fully participate."
My commitment to this organization involves attending our monthly board meetings, as well as participating in community events meant to raise awareness of ARISE's mission.
If you haven't checked out ARISE at the Farm, please consider taking a closer look at the wonderful things happening in Chittenango...and perhaps even volunteer!
It seemed a no-brainer to say "YES!" when I was asked to join the Board of Directors for CNY Orange, the Syracuse University Alumni Club of Central New York.
We have so many alumni of our great University living in CNY, and the club offers fantastic opportunities for them to stay involved, long after leaving the SU Hill.
Stay tuned for several exciting, new events coming soon! If you have any suggestions for club programming, please don't hesitate to reach out. :)
AND you can join the club here: http://cnyorange.org/
- This is a group of higher education professionals who provide career services to the alumni of our respective colleges and universities.
- Learn more about the ACSN at: http://myacsn.org/
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Alumni engagement professional, writer, speaker
Assistant Director, Counseling at Syracuse University Career Services
Director, Career Services at Syracuse University
Career Advisor at Syracuse University
Director of Social Media and Adjunct Professor at Syracuse University iSchool
Associate Director of Employer Relations at Syracuse University - Career Services
Communications Manager at Syracuse University
Director of Career Development, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University.
Contract Recruiter at WMATA
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Branch Manager at TW Metals Inc
Houston, Texas Area
Veterinary and Equine Farm/Stable Publishing for Active Interest Media
Casper, Wyoming Area
Kimmy Brown Productions
Greater Atlanta Area
Owner, Kimberly Brock Brown,LLC
Charleston, South Carolina Area