Project Manager at ThoughtWorks
- Sydney, Australia
Kelvin Nicholson's Overview
Kelvin Nicholson's Languages
English(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Kelvin Nicholson's Organizations
Portland State UniversityUniversity Affairs Director
- July 2002 to June 2003
Student liaison between the Associated Students of Portland State University and the university's faculty.
• Led campaign to promote affordable public transport options for students, liaising with representatives from the university's transport team and the city's transport agency. The campaign led to a slowed increase in prices, which were met by university funding.
• Managed 10 student interns to deliver campaigns and handle Get Out The Vote (GOTV), including registering over 1000 new student voters.
• Primary coordinator on the Election Committee to plan and manage annual student elections. Successfully organised two student elections, which allowed new student governments to be formed.
Kelvin Nicholson's Honors and Awards
Best Use of Data and Social Media to Support International Students in NSWNSW Dept of Trade & Investment
- June 2013
GovHack 2013 saw over 900 participants from across the country come together for a 48 hour event to hack open government data. We used multiple datasets and GIS to create a tool for international students to select where to live. We were awarded the "Best Use of Data and Social Media to Support International Students in NSW" award by the NSW Department of Trande & Investment.
Our entry page: http://hackerspace.govhack.org/?q=groups/stay-here-not-there-survival-kit-international-students-coming-nsw
A live version of our website: http://govhack2013.kelvinism.com/
Sir Hudson Fysh AwardThe Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Australia
For the best student in a masters program with a major in transport or logistics management.
Best Spirit of GovHack AwardGovHack 2012 (NICTA)
- June 2012
The GovHack 2012 event saw hundreds of developers get together across Australia to hack open government data. My team analysed data from across the country to create "The Happiness Index", which is an output of happiness levels by LGA.
Additional details of our entry can be found here: http://www.govhack.org/2012/06/02/happiness-index/
Notable Mashing AchievementMashup Australia.org
The Notable Mashing Achievement was awarded to our team for our creation of LobbyLens.
LobbyLens correlates data about Federal Government business over the last 3 financial years. It shows the connections between government suppliers, government agencies, politician responsibilities, lobbyists, clients of lobbyists and the location of these entities. These connections are displayed through unique visualisations such as interactive network graphs and geovisualisation.
More details here: http://mashupaustralia.org/mashups/lobbylens/
Overall WinnerGovHack 2009
- November 2009
GovHack 2009 was an event seeing 13 teams hack open government data. I went out of curiosity, met four other hackers, and created a website to visualise lobbyists in Australia.
LobbyLens correlated data about Federal Government business over the last three financial years. It shows the connections between government suppliers, government agencies, politician responsibilities, lobbyists, clients of lobbyists and the location of these entities. These connections are displayed through unique visualisations such as interactive network graphs and geovisualisation.
More details can be found here:
Kelvin Nicholson's Projects
Geometric Data Collection of Rail Assets in the Rail Corridor for ETCS
- August 2012 to June 2013
We devised a way of gathering geometric data of important points of interest on our rail corridor with an accuracy of + or - 0.5m with a train travelling up to 100km/h. We reduced the time it took gather the necessary data and convert it into RailML which is used to design our ETCS system.
- June 2004 to Present
TOES was a temporary workaround while a full ERP was properly implemented. The tool allowed invoices to be creased, viewed, put in a queue, voided and searched. The order entry page auto-loads prices and other objects from the database, which results in a a seamless experience for the customer service representative.
- May 2004 to Present
The site uses modified TOES code to track returns and warranty claims. The type of claim determines what warehouse in the U.S. the part is shipped from. It categorizes where the order is going, the status of the order, which company the return belongs to and customer information. Eventually integrated with company website to allow tracking of return items.
ETCS Test Train
- June 2012 to February 2013
Created a recording system for the ETCS test team to record video of the train runs while testing the trackside ETCS equipments. This involved a camera system that focused on the easement and DMI and were synced by the on train server while also having the ability to have a Picture in Picture capability. We also designed the train network which included Wifi and mobile broadband to allow testers to work remotely. Further to this we were able to track our test trains via Google maps using Google Latitude which allowed maintenance teams to know when the train is back on its way to the depot for any fault fixing.
Kelvin Nicholson's Certifications
PRINCE2 Foundation (2009)
- License GR633003686KN
- July 2014
ITIL® Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management
- AXELOS Global Best Practice
- License GR750100385KN
- April 2014
VMware Certified Professional (VCP4-DCV)
- License 13540235-8912-B23056FFE2EC
- March 2014 to March 2016
Cisco Certified Network Associate
- License 248814071
- October 2008 to October 2011
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
- September 2007
- September 2007 to September 2010
- 2006 to 2009
Kelvin Nicholson's Courses
- Introduction to DSS Plans
- Rail Industry Safety Induction
- PMP Development
- Project Management in Primavera P6 Rel. 7
- Leading Change
- Stakeholder Management
- Managing People and Performance
- Electrical Safety Awareness
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt
- Customised VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4] Workshop
- EMC Ionix IP Manager Administrator
- EMC Ionix Service Assurance Manager Administrator
- EMC Ionix Business Dashboard Training
- EMC Ionix Network Configuration Manager Application and Device Management
- EMC Smarts NPM Manager Training
- Systems Administration for the Solaris 10 Operating System, Part 1
- Systems Administration for the Solaris 10 Operating System, Part 2
Kelvin Nicholson's Skills & Expertise
- Project Management
- Enterprise Architecture
- IT Management
- Project Delivery
- Public Transport
- Transportation Management
- Systems Analysis
- Stakeholder Management
- IT Strategy
- Service Delivery
- Strategic Negotiations