COO Capital Teas / Consultant / Passionate Builder of People, Enterprise, & Brands
- Washington D.C. Metro Area
- Food & Beverages
Keith Rogers's Overview
- Executive Vice President at Capital Teas, Inc.
- Advisor at Oxen Innovation
- Principal - Strategy, Operations, Development & Start-Up Consultant at Edify Consulting
- Advisor at HDScores.com
- Chief Operating Officer at Dolcezza Gelato & Coffee Company
- Advisor at SocialToaster, LLC
- Business Professor at Stratford University
- CEO at Annapolis Foods: Annapolis Produce & Restaurant Supply / Annapolis Seafood Markets
- Director of Operations and Development at The Counter
- District Manager at Potbelly Sandwich Works
- General Manager - Hear Music at Starbucks Entertainment
- District Manager at Starbucks
- Board Member at Awakening Records
- Founder and Board Member at Jammin' Java
- Project Manager, Hotel Portfolio Acquisitions & Development at Grand Heritage Hotel Company
- Cornell University
- Griffith Institute
Keith Rogers' Summary
Building up People, Enterprise & Brands / Startup Advisor / Award-winning Leadership @Starbucks Coffee / Cornell University Alumni / Contributor to Fox Business Network
Executive Leadership, Organizational Development, Branding, Org Culture, Core Values/Purpose, Strategy, Financial Management, & Technology.
Keith Rogers has a consistent record of making an immediate impact on innovative ventures, leading teams, and growing brands.
As COO of Dolcezza Gelato & Coffee, Keith has led in building organizational capacity, financial analysis & planning, integrating technology, and strategic development of retail, wholesale, food manufacturing, and eCommerce business. Resulting in sales increases and profit growth across all business segments. As new CEO of Annapolis Foods he completed a one year turnaround after years of losses in retail markets, restaurants, food service operations & wholesale food distribution. Past performance success spans diverse brands of restaurant, hotel, retail & entertainment operations, including award-winning leadership with Starbucks Coffee.
Core strengths are strategic planning, financial analysis, recruiting talent, developing people & teams, multi-unit operations management, marketing & business development. Staff skills are assessed, people placed in well-defined jobs that match their skills & teams coached to navigate past roadmap obstacles to achieve results.
Keith is a forward-thinking leader, well-grounded in operational execution experience, to provide practical team direction. He is adept at identifying opportunities to grow top line while creating operational efficiencies & cutting costs that provide throughput to bottom line EBITDA.
The ideal work for Keith is leading a new venture or a business looking for rapid growth. The perfect setting would leverage Keith’s talent for analysis, strategic formulation, and creative design while providing opportunities to engage his charismatic energy, leadership & networking skills.
Keith Rogers' Education
Bachelors, Hotel Administration
1986 – 1991
Activities and Societies: Men's Varsity Volleyball Team (NCAA National Tournament Division 1), Entrepreneurs Club, Wines, Beers, & Spirits Department Teaching Assistant
1977 – 1985
Keith Rogers' Experience
Executive Vice President
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Food & Beverages industry
July 2014 – Present (3 months) Annapolis, Maryland
Chief Operations Officer of a fast-growing artisanal tea company, based out of Annapolis, MD with Retail Tea Bar locations throughout the Mid-Atlantic region and beyond. Wholesale distribution to restaurants, cafe's, and foodservice operations. Robust eCommerce channel at http://www.capitalteas.com
5th Generation Fine Tea Merchants - Stop and Smell the Teas!
Opening soon in Charlotesville, VA, Capitall Hill - Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, & Princeton, NJ
July 2013 – Present (1 year 3 months) Annapolis, Maryland
Oxen Innovation: Agro Acres & Four Factor Grown
Oxen is an agricultural technology and innovation firm comprised of two ventures:
1) Agro Acres - a food and technology system enabling the next generation of hyperlocal, sustainable, and transparent agriculture through its sustainable and edible landscaping company.
2) Four Factor Grown, a soon-to-be-launched proprietary food growing metric.
Principal - Strategy, Operations, Development & Start-Up Consultant
March 2009 – Present (5 years 7 months) Annapolis & The Interwebs
Edify Consulting: Building Up People, Enterprise & Brands
Visit my blog community - Edify Leadership: http://www.edifyleadership.com
Oxen Innovation (a sustainable food & technology innovations group)
Assisting this innovative Maryland startup in capital raise, business development, strategic planning, and organizational development.
Oxen is an agricultural technology and innovation firm comprised of two ventures:
1) Agro Acres - Sustainable Landscaping: Traditional & Edible
2) Four Factor Grown - A soon to be released propietary food growing metric that calculates and rates food based on the following four factors: Human Health, Environmental Health, Animal Welfare, & Labor Fairness
Contact me for investment opportunities in Oxen Innovation ventures.
HDScores - http://www.hdscores.com
Big Data sector - bringing transparency & engagement surrounding health department scores of businesses and their customers.
Contact me for investment opportunities in HDScores
Previous clients include:
Social Toaster - http://www.socialtoaster.com/
Assisting in growth capital funding, business development, organizational development, culture/core-value formulation.
Compass Languages - http://www.compasslanguages.com/ - Social Media strategic planning and program development
Mid Atlantic Restaurant Company - Systems/Training/HR/Growth Strategy & Change Management
The Rabbit Room - Business Planning / Capital Solicitation
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Internet industry
February 2012 – Present (2 years 8 months)
HDScores is built on the fact that every food service establishment gets a Health Department inspection. We want to help consumers answer a simple question: “How clean is the place I'm thinking about dining in?”
HDScores will bring transparency to the marketplace and consistency to the confusing bureaucratic reporting systems throughout the country. By letting a little sunshine in, we believe it creates a better industry for both consumers and restaurateurs.
What HDScores Does:
* Collects Health Department Inspection Data
* Enhances the data, with our propitiatory system
* Publishes the data in an easy to understand format
* Creates Analytics and Infographics
* Encourages Social Engagement
HDScores is currently in development of our Web Platform and Mobile Applications.
Follow us on Twitter @HDScores
Chief Operating Officer
Dolcezza Gelato & Coffee Company
October 2013 – July 2014 (10 months) Washington D.C. Metro Area
Old World artisan gelato crafted with locally sourced seasonal ingredients. Premium coffeehouse & gelataria retail locations throughout the Metro Washington, DC Region. Wholesale distribution to over 80 of the best chefs and restaurants in the area. Retail pints for sale in Whole Foods, MOM's Markets, and other fine grocers in DC. Opening a new Gelato Factory & Coffee Lab near Union Market.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
December 2011 – June 2014 (2 years 7 months) Baltimore, MD
We are a social software solutions company with a phenomenal patent-pending social media content amplification platform called Social Toaster. Please contact me if you are interested in knowing more about how you can get your brand's social media content to go viral through Social Toaster. NFL teams and other best-in-class organizations are currently experiencing successful campaigns using our innovative social software.
Additionally, we are currently raising capital to quickly scale the company to meet our explosive demand. Please reach out to me directly if you would like to learn more about investing in our exciting future!
Educational Institution; 501-1000 employees; Higher Education industry
January 2012 – December 2012 (1 year) Baltimore, Maryland Area
Business Professor (Adjunct) instructing on campus and online for Stratford University's School of Hospitality Management
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Food & Beverages industry
August 2010 – September 2011 (1 year 2 months) Annapolis, MD
Recruited externally to manage and turnaround this 40 year old, family-owned, diverse company comprised of a wholesale foodservice distribution business, real estate, and operation of retail markets and full-service restaurants. Founder/Patriarch had passed away and experiencing several years of negative EBIDTA.
Key Result: Within one year restored company-wide profitability, grew double-digit comp sales in a down economy/shrinking market, and restructured the organization. Positioned company for successful sale by family ownership.
Accomplished this turnaround through:
• SWOT Analysis
• Strategic Planning, Goal Setting, and Execution/Measurement of Tactics
• Recruited expert leadership team to fill experience/expertise gaps – retooled & upgraded talent, while bringing along as many “legacy” staff as possible
• Reorganized & right-sized the organization
• Developed an Operating Plan, Budget, Cash Flow, Profit & Loss Statements
• Created Performance Metrics and Financial Analysis around KPM’s
• Integrated various manual and IT systems
• Broke down organizational silo's while improving communication & synergies
• Created a vibrant online presence: website, social media marketing, video content strategy, Internet commerce (wholesale & retail)
• Branding, Design, & Marketing
• Proactive involvement in community & participation in industry events & festivals
• Cultural shift to one of execution with accountability while maintaining integrity of core values
• Promoted environment of servant leadership and development of people.
Annapolis Produce & Restaurant Supply:
Wholesale Distribution of Produce, Seafood, Grocery, Dairy, etc. to Restaurants, Caterers & Foodservice Operations (Business & Industry, College & University, Government & Military, Hospital & Healthcare, Assisted Living, Churches, & Civic Organizations)
Annapolis Seafood Markets - Retail & Restaurants
Director of Operations and Development
Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Food & Beverages industry
February 2008 – March 2009 (1 year 2 months) Los Angeles, California
Reported directly to the CEO of this full service, scratch kitchen, full bar, gourmet burger restaurant company. Voted top burger by GQ Magazine & Oprah. Received 2008 Hot Concept Award by Nations Restaurant News. Opened restaurants in many new markets nationwide as well as Ireland and Australia. Consulted with franchisee ownership and management. Led training and development teams. Developed company Culture and Training Guide. Participated in Real Estate site selection, marketing, construction, permitting, talent recruiting, operations management, financial analysis and reporting. www.thecounterburger.com
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; Restaurants industry
2006 – 2008 (2 years)
Oversaw Washington, DC operations and development for fast casual concept based in Chicago (www.potbelly.com). Improved sales and customer service performance. Coached management and staff to develop leaders. Championed company culture and values.
• Consistently exceeded revenue, profitability, & employee turnover goals, highlighted by 12% Comp Sales in first year and NSO Revenue 64% over budget.
• Selected to beta test new speed of service and operational efficiency model.
• Helped grow QSR/Fast Casual Restaurant Chain to over 200 stores.
General Manager - Hear Music
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; SBUX; Retail industry
January 2005 – December 2005 (1 year) Santa Monica, CA
Promoted to strategically analyze and turn around new business unit concept for Starbucks
GENERAL MANAGER, HEAR MUSIC
Specially-selected and promoted to manage developmental “Hear Music” retail concept for newly formed entertainment division to expand brand into digital retail entertainment and music industry.
• Evaluated business model and identified strategies to successfully roll out new concept to stores nationwide.
• Conducted thorough SWOT analysis and implemented strategies to improve operations, supply chain, purchasing, merchandising, brand positioning, and IT functions.
• Partnered with IT team to implement innovative digital technology in retail stores.
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; SBUX; Retail industry
2001 – 2005 (4 years) Mid-Atlantic
DISTRICT MANAGER / FIELD CONSULTANT
STARBUCKS LICENSED STORES & BUSINESS ALLIANCES (2001-2004)
Developed Starbucks business and brand throughout Mid-Atlantic region, executed plans and strategies to drive growth.
• Earned two national District Manager of the Year awards for business development and sales growth utilizing consultative selling of products and services across diverse industries including: University, Hospital, Retail, Grocery, Airports, Sports & Entertainment, Hotels, Government and Military.
• Achieved highest percentage of top customer service scores in Eastern region.
• Grew Q1 sales 45% for George Washington University’s licensed store.
Project Manager, Hotel Portfolio Acquisitions & Development
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Hospitality industry
January 1993 – February 1996 (3 years 2 months) Annapolis, MD
http://grandheritage.com/ Ownership & management company of luxury boutique hotels worldwide
PROJECT MANAGER, PORTFOLIO ACQUISITIONS & DEVELOPMENT
Dynamic position reporting directly to the Chairman in the development and operations of this fast growing international boutique chain of luxury historic hotels
• Project lead in procurement of acquisition financing coordinating process with equity partners, lenders, attorneys, brokers, and government agencies.
• Resulting Highlights:
• $63 M note acquisition of The Four Seasons Clift Hotel, San Francisco, CA
• $11.5 M acquisition of U.S. Grant Hotel, San Diego, CA
• $7 M acquisition of The Ambassador West Hotel, Chicago, IL
• $6.5 M refinancing of Union Station Hotel, Nashville, TN
• $6.5 M acquisition of The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, CO
• Developed complex financial analyses & proforma projections, created investment packages for equity capital & financing solicitation.
• Oversight of due diligence process including coordination of environmental, valuation appraisal, and market studies.
• Played various roles in hotel takeovers and transition to Grand Heritage management.
• Partnered with multiple property General Managers & Sales Managers in meeting their management and sales goals. Assisted in sales blitzes.
Keith Rogers' Languages
En Petit Peu en Francais
Keith Rogers' Honors and Awards
District Manager of the YearStarbucks Coffee Company
Nationally awarded (twice) for my top results in year over year comp growth and business development.
Keith Rogers' Skills & Expertise
- Strategic Leadership
- Leadership Development
- Organizational Development
- Marketing Strategy
- Strategic Planning
- Team Building
- Executive Management
- Corporate Culture
- Business Planning
- Business Intelligence
- Business Analysis
- New Business Development
- IT Strategy
- Social Media
- Food & Beverage
- Music Industry
- Concept Development
- Financial Analysis
- Public Speaking
- Formal Presentations
- Management Consulting
- Real Estate Development
- Franchise Consulting
- Franchise Relations
- SWOT analysis
- Brand Development
- Profit Maximization
- Future Trends
- Social Media Marketing
- Operations Management
- Talent Management
- Business Development
- Income Statement
- Integrated Marketing
Keith Rogers' Additional Information
Start-ups, Organizational Development, Company Culture, Branding, Management/People Development and Mentoring, Strategy Development & Execution, Reading (Business, History, Science Fiction), Chautauqua Institution, Sailing, Buffalo Sabres Hockey, Buffalo Bills Football, Family, Music - especially Jazz, Rock, Folk, Bluegrass, World, and Electronica
- Groups and Associations:
Social Media Club, CEO Network, Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership, EntreLeadership
- Honors and Awards:
Two District Manager of the Year awards with Starbucks Coffee Company