VP of Product at Solve Media, Inc
- Greater Philadelphia Area
John Cappiello's Overview
- Director of Product Engineering at Marchex VoiceStar (formerly VoiceStar)
- Senior Systems Engineer at VoiceStar, Inc.
- Research & Development at IC Group, Inc (Pobox.com, Listbox.com)
- CTO, VP at DOTmed.com
- Systems & Network Admin at BitShop, Inc.
- Deerfield Academy
- University of Maryland College Park
11 people have recommended John
John Cappiello's Summary
Entrepreneurial with lifelong experience developing software and products.
John Cappiello's Experience
VP of Product
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
October 2010 – Present (2 years 8 months)
Solve Media provides the TYPE-IN, the best performing digital brand advertising, which solves banner blindness and directly impacts the minds of consumers based on the tried and true methodology of rote learning. The TYPE-IN is not only effective but also implemented in places that provide the best user experience for end users in CAPTCHA, Skippable Pre-Roll Video and Mobile Apps while simultaneously delivering unprecedented security and revenue for publishers.
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Computer Software industry
September 2005 – Present (7 years 9 months)
Vehicle for product experimentation and consulting.
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Online Media industry
October 2009 – Present (3 years 8 months)
Start Philly is about start-ups in and about Philadelphia. Getting them built, getting them staffed, getting them supported, getting them optimized, growing them and then some.
Having been involved in and with local start-ups for more than a decade, we saw an opportunity to establish a regional online presence to highlight our thoughts, experiences and opinions. We are leaders, technologists, marketers, creative thinkers and above all, start-up people. We get it done, no matter what, no matter when. We also value those who share our drive and ambition. This will be our/their forum.
Director of Product Engineering
Public Company; 201-500 employees; MCHX; Internet industry
October 2007 – August 2010 (2 years 11 months)
• Advised on all major technical changes to product or systems
• Overhauled application permissions systems to comply with public company needs
• Oversaw technical integration and deployment of numerous national brand customers
• Improved UI for easier client roll out, adoption, and sales
• Implemented solutions to scale usage 10x while maintaining the same product offerings and presenting a clear path forward
• Continued to lead development efforts
• Managed staff of developers, QA engineers and Tech Operations
• Directed product development continuing to work closely with Customer Service and Sales teams
• Ensured full SOX compliance with both software development and full transaction engine tests
• Adapted small private company development models to public company's more demanding Software Development Lifecycle
Senior Systems Engineer
July 2006 – October 2007 (1 year 4 months)
• Streamlined web application using existing Perl/HTML::Mason/PostgreSQL infrastructure with simple process wizards, direct access to relevant settings, consistent navigation, and asynchronous communications for more efficient interaction
• Overhauled data analysis to provide better at a glance performance understanding as well as more thorough in depth analysis
• Implemented separation of model, view and controller providing easier automated testing, upkeep, and development role divisions
• Established initial customer service dept and long term customer relationships
• Created infrastructure for collaborative development
• Established a unified product vision based on hands on interaction with existing and potential clients
• Provided a sexy and appealing UI of both form and function to an otherwise solid product
• Directly contributed to more numerous, easier, and more profitable sales
Acquired by Marchex, Inc (MCHX) (October 2007)
Research & Development
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Internet industry
August 2005 – June 2006 (11 months)
Helped direct the evolution of core products, while maintaining and scaling existing systems.
Ensured redundancy and stability in all systems including mail transport and delivery, PostgreSQL and MySQL, Apache and djbdns.
Negotiated purchasing and service contracts.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Medical Devices industry
May 2001 – July 2005 (4 years 3 months)
Took a rough implementation and rebuilt it into complete polished product.
Rounded out product offering with complete and complimentary sets of features that revolved around the primary business to increase repeat visitors and users and build brand loyalty.
Grew repeat user base, site utilization, and billing month after month at consistent rate.
Made all technical decisions and oversaw or performed implementations.
John Cappiello's Languages
English(Native or bilingual proficiency)
John Cappiello's Skills & Expertise
John Cappiello's Education
1994 – 1997
University of Maryland College Park
John Cappiello's Additional Information
Contact John for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch