Director of Engineering
Entrepreneur, Co-Founder, Engineer
|Recommendations||9 people have recommended Jerry|
Join LinkedIn & access Jerry's full profile
Director of Engineering
My goal is to build a successful company with a great product that is fun, powerful and easy to use.
I come from computer science research background with focus on Artificial Intelligence, Wireless Sensors Network and Computer Graphics.
I deferred my Computer Graphics PhD. program from Cornell and worked at LinkedIn. At LinkedIn, I built the LinkedIn Firefox toolbar; I brought in new technology and built a rapid development team; I led and architect LinkedIn Mobile and more.
I then co-found Presdo and built a social networking product for events and trade shows used by hundreds of thousands of users, all by without raising VC funding.
I build stuffs, I have a lot of energy, and I am not afraid to start from beginning.
Specialties: Entrepreneurship, Startups, Product Development, User Experience, Mobile, Customer-driven development
In high level, I do the following:
- Build engineering team and culture focusing on innovations and creativity.
- Lead multiple end-to-end projects across different teams.
- Work with engineering teams and architects to establish roadmaps, design and implement solutions.
- Research and develop emerging technologies.
- Deliver technical presentations and introduce agile development methodology
The projects that I have been working on:
- Designed and implemented the first release of Edmodo Snapshot, a common-core assessment tool that helps Edmodo to collect learning measurements.
- Worked with architect to design and implement the new service oriented Edmodo backend using Google Go and Ruby on Rails.
- Led the team to launch Edmodo Snapshot for school, Edmodo's first shot to monetization.
- Hacked a new client-side framework to work with OAuth2 APIs using backbone.js.
- Manage and restructure engineering teams from functional teams into product teams which is independent and can achieve more with less resources.
- Developed deploy scripts using Capistrano to deploy applications written in Rails, Node.js, and Go on AWS.
- Built a webpage capture service to save operational cost.
- Built a transactional email delivery service which stops trapping emails in source code and supports real-time tracking.
- Lead the mobile team to develop new mobile-first application.
Founded in 2007 by a team from LinkedIn, Presdo Inc.’s mission is to increase the value of social networks through face-to-face and real-time interactions.
From engineering to product to hiring, I do what it takes to make Presdo a successful company.
- Designed and led the engineering team to build Presdo Match, a social network product for people to discover and make connections at the event.
- Responsible for talent acquisition and hiring across the Presdo engineering organization
- Managed and deployed cloud services using OpenStack.
- Worked on key strategy to focus on great products and innovation.
- Responsible for the development of Presdo scheduler product, which is being used as the scheduling engine for Presdo Match.
Team Lead and Architect for LinkedIn Mobile:
- Responsible for the creation, development and execution for LinkedIn Mobile.
- Architected and implemented the LinkedIn Mobile backend using Ruby on Rails which serves millions of users.
- Led the team to develop LinkedIn native application for iOS and mobile Web.
- Worked with Apple to promote the LinkedIn app.
Hacker at LED team
- Using RoR, Google Maps APIs and LinkedIn RESTful services to implement NewIn, an application that display newly joined LinkedIn members in real time.
- Prototyped a facebook application to suggest people you may connect
Representative for RESTful service at LinkedIn 2.0 project
- Ensure the next generation architecture supports heterogeneous frameworks and technology
- Provide advices on using RESTful services and memcache
- Brought Ruby on Rails technology to LinkedIn
- "Project" enables users to automatically save LinkedIn searches, organize profiles into projects, and add comments or tags to profiles
LinkedIn Companion for Firefox
- Responsible for the creation, development and execution for LinkedIn Firefox Toolbar.
- Implemented web-mail infobox which allows users to see LinkedIn profiles
- Designed and implemented algorithm and datastructure for the Dashboard function
- Optimized program performance (improved startup/shutdown time from 90 secs to 5 secs)
- Designed and implemented footskate cleanup for motion synthesis
- Implemented Inverse Kinematics functions
- Designed and implemented fall detection and localization using Wireless Sensor Networks
- Wrote accelerometer, light intensity and temperature sensors drivers
- Computer Graphics - Ray Tracer with 18 features, Interactive Deformation using Modal Analysis
- Human-Computer Interaction - Senior Online Center
- Artificial Intelligence - Hand-written Digits Recognizer using image congealing
- Languages & Compilers - Decaf (Java-like language) Compiler
- Database System - Online Bookstore using PHP, PostgreSQL Buffer Manager
- Machine Structure - Lisp Interpreter, MIPS Hardware Simulator
* see projects at http://jerryluk.spymac.com/berkeley
Activities and Societies: Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Theta Kappa, Golden Key
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Director of Engineering at Edmodo
Platform Architect at Edmodo
Founder, CEO at Presdo Inc.
Senior Software Engineer at Edmodo
Vice President of Engineering at Wikimedia Foundation
Learning about education
Its time to start shopping for some real estate properties. Do connect with me if you can help
Head of Product & Platform Analytics at Edmodo