Director, Member Services and Chapter Relations at American Thoracic Society
- Greater New York City Area
- Nonprofit Organization Management
Jennifer Ian's Overview
- Director, Member Services and Chapter Relations at American Thoracic Society
- Consultant at Consultant-Marketing
- Vice President, Membership Marketing at PRSA
- Director of Marketing at NYSSA
- Marketing and Communications Director (and prior positions) at KPMG
Jennifer Ian's Summary
Proactive senior professional with track record in marketing, communications, membership development and chapter relations in professional associations (not-for-profits) as well as marketing, communications and research in for-profit organizations. Talent for leveraging resources to drive customer value with attention to ROI. Catalyst for program growth and improved visibility of organizational products and services. MBA, Marketing.
Jennifer Ian's Experience
Director, Member Services and Chapter Relations
Nonprofit; 51-200 employees; Nonprofit Organization Management industry
June 2010 – Present (4 years 4 months)
• Direct and develop member recruitment and retention programs, member benefits portfolio, and customer care programs including marketing of these programs. Handle budget preparation for all projects.
• Manage relationships with chapters including operational guidance, governance, and an awards program.
• Supervise membership outreach activities at international conference including ATS Center, as well as manage two lunch forums.
• Manage development of messaging and collateral materials at 8 to 10 ATS domestic and international conference exhibit booths annually, including on-site presence at several of them.
December 2009 – June 2010 (7 months)
• Provide marketing and development expertise to non-profit foundation in support of new venture. New York, NY
• Develop/execute communications plan, create fundraising strategies for local non-profit arts organization. Brooklyn, NY
• Review/evaluate proposals and designate charitable grants for benevolence fund. New York, NY
Vice President, Membership Marketing
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Public Relations and Communications industry
September 2002 – July 2009 (6 years 11 months)
Professional association (HQ) for public relations and communications professionals. (501c6)
● Marketing Plans: Boosted membership growth by 23% since 2003 through unified marketing plans and comprehensive member recruitment and retention programs with focus on ROI.
● Print and Online Marketing: Boosted visiblity with coordinated web and e-mail promotions as well as print campaigns. Created and developed first-time marketing strategies and collateral emphasizing member value.
● Chapter Relations: Spearheaded shift to unity between chapters and national organization including biweekly communications, new orientation for chapter leaders and member recruitment programs.
● Customer Service: Re-invigorated customer service utilizing scripts, FAQs, additional supporting materials and competitions to encourage cross-selling/up-selling of services.
● Event management: Directed annual chapter leadership conference that achieved its highest attendance and participant rating in 2009. Directed logistical planning for annual governance meeting with 300+ participants.
Director of Marketing
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Financial Services industry
1996 – 2002 (6 years)
Professional association for financial professionals. NYSSA is the largest society of the CFA Institute (AIMR).
● Marketing Management: Developed and executed marketing plans addressing membership development, communications/ publications, branding, event promotion and media relations.
● Branding & Positioning: Established marketing policies and procedures to ensure long-term brand viability. Revamped print and online marketing materials to reflect new, cohesive brand.
● Membership Development: Sparked 30% growth in annual membership that won ASAE Direct-Response Member Campaign Award. Introduced new marketing strategies that included electronic communications.
● Communications & Publications: Increased visibility for programs by capitalizing on renovated branding for communications. Re-branded and reinvigorated member newsletter that bolstered organizational identity and member benefits.
● Event Marketing: Successfully marketed seminars and conferences to increase attendance by 15%. Used market intelligence to craft targeted event marketing via email, print and web for members and non-members. Introduced strategies for marketing to niche audiences.
Marketing and Communications Director (and prior positions)
Partnership; 10,001+ employees; Accounting industry
1993 – 1996 (3 years)
Marketing and Communications Director
● Marketing Development: Developed marketing function for integrated audit, tax, and consulting group serving media and technology industries after organization's restructuring.
● Marketing Plans: Oversaw development and execution of customized marketing plans for eight segments within media and technology industries.
● Business Development: Managed internal business development program that resulted in 20 per cent growth in lead generation.
● Proposal Development: Handled proposal development for select business opportunities.
KPMG – ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE:
● Marketing Manager: Conducted market research & analysis for consulting and audit departments in support of business development. (Greater NYC area.)
● Sr. Research Consultant: Provided market research and prepared reports for management consultants nationwide.
Jennifer Ian's Skills & Expertise
- Event Planning
- Event Management
- Marketing Strategy
- Media Relations
- Public Relations
- Marketing Communications
- Strategic Planning
- Lead Generation
- Community Outreach
- Market Research
- Program Management
- Management Consulting
Jennifer Ian's Education
MS, English as a Second Language
Education & Italian Studies
Jr. Year Abroad