CEO / Product Guy at Channelwood Labs
- San Francisco Bay Area
Jay McKinsey's Overview
- CEO / Product Guy at Channelwood Labs
- Organizer at Redwood City - Silicon Valley Networking
- Product Guy at Graphhenge
- VP Product at Flaii
Jay McKinsey's Summary
Market vision, technical know-how and practical business sense to lead teams of engineers and marketing professionals in building products and services that connect customers to the cloud.
* Product Strategy, Development & Production
* Business Planning
Jay McKinsey's Experience
Redwood City - Silicon Valley Networking
April 2011 – September 2013 (2 years 6 months)
Each time Silicon Valley booms a different region leads the way. With its hot new downtown and terrific location, mid-way between SoMa and downtown San Jose, Redwood City is already becoming the next hot spot for Silicon Valley start-ups.
Whether you are an engineer, entrepreneur, executive, product manager, technologist, marketing, sales, VC or any role in the tech industry - drop by this friendly event and meet your fellow tech industry professionals.
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Internet industry
2009 – 2011 (2 years) Silicon Valley
A 3D graph data visualization browser that pivoted to become a next generation social gaming platform.
• Directed all aspects of software development and production.
• Managed seven member software engineering team including a four person team in Vietnam to drive product implementation and delivery. Launched successful beta with our first client - Kobojo games.
• Proposed, crafted and managed migration of complete production backend from Windows servers in local data center to LAMP stack on Amazon EC2 to realize an immediate 90% cost reduction and dramatically increase scalability.
• Successful and passionate leadership: Directed Vietnam based engineering team, via text, who had very little experience with Linux and no experience with cloud computing to accomplish backend migration in six weeks with no down time and exactly one broken http link.
• Aggressive and robust problem solving: When Amazon erroneously turned off our servers and customer service could only give us a 48 hour time frame for resolution, I wrote to Amazon's CTO Werner Vogel who responded in minutes and had the problem solved in an hour.
• Key team member in developing business and product model.
• Presented to venture capitalists including Flaii's seed funder Tim Draper.
• Engaged with game developers and users to develop product and service requirements.
• Worked closely with the marketing team to facilitate customer and partnership development.
2007 – 2008 (1 year)
• Competitive marketing analysis and hands-on integration of Windows Compute Cluster Server with Suse Enterprise Linux using a single Platform Load Sharing Facility instance running natively on Linux.
• Development of a technical white paper covering VMware Lab Manager that provided a deep understanding of virtual machine network architecture.
• Created “Ontapedia” wiki chapter explaining the process used for handling disk failure in NetApp storage products down to the read / write level. Used internally for ongoing capture of institutional knowledge and education.
CEO / Product Director
2002 – 2007 (5 years)
• Led team of engineers and marketing professionals in creation of dynamic provisioning product to drive massively scalable, batch data processing systems for data mining.
• Designed hybrid product / service go-to-market strategy utilizing a Linux appliance product platform and software subscription support model.
• Hands-on technical ability. Built and administered 20 node Linux cluster as test harness for stability and performance analysis.
Business Manager - High Performance Clusters
Public Company; 201-500 employees; Computer Hardware industry
2001 – 2001 (less than a year)
• Spearheaded strategic creation of the HPC Cluster Business unit encompassing resources and buy-in from corporate divisions including sales, engineering, finance, marketing, operations and professional services.
• Drove cluster business from zero to $3,000,000 revenue per month in six months.
• Designed state of the art clusters as standardized design, pre-built, fully managed supercomputing products that delivered an out-of-crate experience when competing clusters were being built piecemeal on the customer's floor.
• Managed and released key cluster management technologies including VA Cluster Manager, System Imager and the VA 100 Cluster Management System.
• Implemented cluster sales program driven by customer acquisition practices including: novel and very successful traveling cluster demo units, evaluation pricing programs, and high-touch, on-site cluster engineer program for delivery and support.
Software Product Manager
Public Company; 201-500 employees; Computer Hardware industry
2000 – 2001 (1 year)
• Product manager for all Linux operating system software including kernel, desktop, server and network applications.
• Successfully launched Build to Order Software Selector. Brought together the fractured engineering, operations, and marketing effort to unveil fully functional service at LinuxWorld in the span of 30 days.
• Promotion to Business Manager in six months.
Jay McKinsey's Skills & Expertise
- Product Management
- Product Development
- Engineering Management
- Product Strategy
- Business Strategy
- Competitive Analysis
- Marketing Strategy
- Go-to-market Strategy
- Cloud Computing
- Software Development
- Strategic Partnerships
- Enterprise Software
- Business Planning
- Program Management
- Data Center
Jay McKinsey's Education
Juris Doctor, Certificate in High Technology Law, Law & Economics, Business Planning
1994 – 1997
• Certificate in High Technology Law.
• Law & Economics
• Business Planning Curriculum
• Authored thesis on "Strategic Software Licensing," describing an economic model of the software industry and appropriate strategies for technology licensing based on that model. (Thesis advisor: Dr. David D. Friedman)
1991 – 1993
• Highest Honors in the Major
• Business Strategy Industry Simulation - winning team CEO
Activities and Societies: Sailing Club
Jay McKinsey's Additional Information
Contact Jay for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch