Entrepreneur + Startup Advisor
- Greater Los Angeles Area
- Computer Software
Jason McDowall's Overview
- Director of Product at Nimble
- Director of Product Management - Mobile at Salesforce.com
- VP Product Development & Technology at Benchmark Metrics, Inc.
- Co-founder & CEO at Adhoc Mobile LLC
- Co-founder & CEO at Tomo Software
- Product Manager (Rank: Captain) at Space and Missle Center, US Air Force
Jason McDowall's Summary
Jason has spent his career doing three things: building and leading strong teams, innovating toward where the market is headed, and delivering results through enhanced executive team thinking and execution. Currently he is head of product at Hothouse Labs, a startup in stealth mode where they are building mobile applications to make "work" fundamentally better on the phone.
Prior to Hothouse Labs, Jason spent almost 6 years as a director or VP of product in B2B, Software as a Service companies - most notably Salesforce.com - where he primarily delivered relationship management, collaboration, and analytics tools. Previously he was a co-founder/CEO of two mobile-focused startups. Prior to working in mobile and software as a service, Jason served as a Captain in the US Air Force where his day job was as a product manager for large scale computer and communication systems. He holds an MBA from UCLA as well as a BS and MS from Carnegie Mellon University.
Specialties: Building exceptional teams, Crafting and communicating executable strategies, Bringing order from chaos, Recognizing emerging trends, Developing products efficiently, Managing operations, Growing a user base (marketing/growth hacking), SaaS, Mobile
Jason McDowall's Experience
Co-founder & Head of Product
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Software industry
2013 – Present (1 year)
Leading product at Stitch, where we're passionate about helping salespeople close more deals and be more responsive. We are building the best mobile-first, sales productivity platform. Our first product is a mobile email application for salespeople. With Stitch, salespeople can communicate faster by having the right information, insights, and tools at their fingertips.
Partnership; 11-50 employees; Venture Capital & Private Equity industry
2013 – Present (1 year)
Amplify is a hands-on startup accelerator and multi-faceted entrepreneurial campus in Los Angeles. Amplify has an unmatched team of investors, mentors and executives who are committed to helping founders build their startups into strong, scalable, successful companies.
2012 – Present (2 years)
Provide venture acceleration services to early stage technology companies. Contribute as the interim CEO or Chief Product Officer to help get ventures off the ground, find product-market fit, or scale effectively.
Twistory Studios – Consultant and Interim CEO
• Refined business strategy, built investor pitch and financial model for fundraising for this comic book company turned online and mobile game company
• Implemented art and product development processes based on Kanban methodology
• Established community support and marketing strategies
• Pitched investors and secured commitment for multi-million dollar series B financing
Director of Product
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Internet industry
2012 – 2013 (1 year)
Nimble envisions a world in which every business relationship is meaningful and mutually beneficial. To enable this vision, the company helps business teams nurture stronger relationships to make them more productive and successful. Nimble focuses on providing insight about business contacts and helping teams engage those contacts and close more business opportunities. This is done by creating a tool that is simple to use, integrated, and intelligent.
• Led product design and development for Nimble's social CRM tool across web, API, and mobile, including delivering the first paid version of web app, delivering the first public API and developer portal, and designing the first mobile app
• Instigated discussion and articulated the company vision, mission, and strategic objectives
• Implemented data-informed decision making driven by home-grown metrics solution, enhanced utilization of KissMetrics, regular surveys with active and churning accounts, and customer interviews
• Yielded 10% trial -> paid account conversion rate by focusing on most valuable feature enhancements and first-time user experience; laid out roadmap for additional conversion improvements
• Drove registration changes that yielded 34% improvement in users completing registration process while maintaining trial->paid conversion rate
Director of Product Management - Mobile
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; CRM; Internet industry
2008 – 2012 (4 years)
Led mobile client software development at Salesforce.com, where the team was focused on collaboration, social networking, CRM, and productivity apps.
• Led design and development for mobile enterprise collaboration apps (Salesforce Chatter Mobile)
• Spearheaded new Mobile Labs initiative to generate and deliver innovation around enterprise mobility
• Delivered 4x increase in active mobile users years through feature, usability and performance improvements
• Selected as 2011 Business App of the Year by Apple Inc.; won 2010, 2011 SIIA Codie Awards for mobile apps
VP Product Development & Technology
Benchmark Metrics, Inc.
2007 – 2008 (1 year)
Led internal engineers and external contractor teams to create web-based business analytics tools based on best practices and research from leading business schools (UCLA, Wharton, Stanford). Managed the design, production, and validation for multiple products targeted to multiple markets.
• Envisioned and drove state-of-the-art analytics platform to be distributed, scalable, and extensible
• Steered corporate strategy, and crafted corporate and product financial projections
• Launched first product (financial statement risk analysis), alpha-tested second (cost of capital); prototyped third (business intelligence and relationship visualization); others in design
Co-founder & CEO
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Computer Software industry
2006 – 2007 (1 year)
Assembled and led a team in the strategy, development, and sales of a flexible, white-label ad matching and delivery platform for mobile phones. The platform supported ad delivery in any mobile content type including games, applications, and web with plans for audio and video.
• Drove product design, secured seed financing, built core platform, and signed early customers
• Negotiated and sold company assets to Convergent Mobile for integration into their end-to-end mobile marketing and communications platform
Co-founder & CEO
2003 – 2006 (3 years)
Started, managed, and grew 20-person mobile phone software company, which developed a sophisticated mobile phone content delivery and virtual world platform. The team created and built an original multiplayer, cross-platform game and sought partnerships with other media companies.
• Raised $3M in private financing, deployed beta version of the platform and original content, and obtained letters of intent to use the system from media companies and distribution partners
• Negotiated clean separation for subset of tech and team to pursue another opportunity
Product Manager (Rank: Captain)
Government Agency; 10,001+ employees; Defense & Space industry
1999 – 2003 (4 years)
Promoted rapidly from Test Manager to Product Manager of a $50M communications tool; then promoted to Branch Chief responsible for directing government and contractor teams developing a $150M core electronics suite integral to a $718M overhaul of the Air Force’s global Satellite Control Network.
• Re-planned faltering $718M modernization effort with an executable strategy; received approval from Space and Missile System Center commander, our CEO – same plan being executed years later
• Successfully navigated politically charged and highly bureaucratic environments to gain customer acceptance and to deliver products on time/budget
• Collaborated closely with most demanding customer (NRO) to increase satisfaction with new systems and our office; received letter of commendation from the customer’s commander
• Won the 2002 Team-of-the-Year award at squadron, base, and headquarters levels
Jason McDowall's Education
Activities and Societies: Student Council Representative, High Tech Business Association, Entrepreneurs Association
M.S., Electrical & Computer Engineering
Focused on mobile computing and communications.
B.S., Electrical & Computer Engineering, Economics
Activities and Societies: Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu
Jason McDowall's Skills & Expertise
- Mobile Devices
- Mobile Applications
- User Experience
- Business Development
- Business Strategy
- Business Intelligence
- High Performance Teams
- Product Management
- Strategic Partnerships
- Strategic Planning
Contact Jason for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch