Principal at Applico
- Greater New York City Area
Gregory Battle's Overview
- Principal, Business Development at Applico
- Innovation Consultant at Self Employed
- VP Product, Customer Development at Alloy Digital
- Consultant at bit.ly at bit.ly
- Co-founder and Chief Software Architect at Global Grind Digital Inc., LLC
- Hedge Fund Associate at Trigram Capital Management, LP
- MBA Candidate 2005 at The Wharton School
- Lead Developer at BET Interactive, LLC
- Vice President at Donaldson, Lufkin, Jenrette
- Consultant at Chemical Bank
- Senior Programming Analyst at Sanwa Securities
Gregory Battle's Summary
Greg’s professional career spans over twenty years of experience, in which he has built the infrastructure and growth blueprints for countless early-stage startups and public companies. Finding creative ways to solve the challenges of product, customer and revenue discovery is where Greg thrives. He is known for facilitating consumer adoption and revenue growth via his deep experience in business and product development and for finding solutions that delight consumers and meet business objectives.
Whether it’s professional or personal, Greg is passionate about innovation, and you can tell within a moment of meeting him. You don’t need to look beyond Greg’s eyewear to see his passion for creativity and his reaffirming choice to embrace uncertainty everyday.
Greg received a BSE in Computer Science from Princeton University and an MBA in Finance from The Wharton School at University of Pennsylvania.
Specialties: business development, early-stage startups, internet strategy and vision, product management, revenue discovery, community tools, software architecture, behavioral modeling, reputation systems, discovery tools, search technologies, music technology, financial modeling, statistical methods, decision modeling, peer networks, competitive analysis, cross-functional leadership
Gregory Battle's Experience
Principal, Business Development
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
April 2014 – Present (6 months) Greater New York City Area
Greg Battle is a Principal at Applico, where he works to identify platform innovation opportunities within mid-to-large-sized companies and to scale legacy products into innovative platforms. Greg is a master at finding and building platform business models and uncovering the core interaction, value propositions and customer funnels and that will make that platform sing.
January 2009 – April 2014 (5 years 4 months) Greater New York City Area
Best Buy / Beats by Dr. Dre / Selerity / Turntable.fm / Ticket Reserve / GroupMe / Vibe / AnyClip
- Best Buy (Retail & Finance): Acting CTO on an innovation consultancy project, responsibilities included research, partner due diligence, cost projections, infrastructure, risk assessment, personnel planning and go-to-market technology strategy for a new multi-national service offered online/mobile and in 1,100 retail stores. Developed within Best Buy’s Financial Services Division.
- Beats by Dr. Dre (Consumer Electronics): Research and develop business, marketing and social strategies for stealth mode consumer facing internet/mobile service for Jimmy Iovine (CEO) and Luke Wood (President).
- Selerity Corp (Financial): Designed go-to-market strategy for quantitative trading, algorithmic execution and risk management customers. Conducted candidate search for key technology hires and diligence on patent-pending technology. Authored customer and partner messaging.
- Turntable.fm (Music): Product ideation and strategy for social synchronous music service
- Ticket Reserve (Sports & Travel): Gamification, monetization and social funnel strategies
- GroupMe (Mobile – sold to Skype 8/11): Establish critical partnerships across print, television, radio, music and web publishers targeting urban demographic.
- Vibe (Publishing): Advised new owners out of bankruptcy on redevelopment of digital strategy including online/print convergence, content aggregation, audience segmentation/engagement for addictive behavior, customer development, partnerships and revenue optimization.
- AnyClip (Video): Lead due diligence for complete restructuring of organization resulting in refocused strategic direction, downsizing staff, cost-cutting partnerships, halving burn-rate, refactoring platform API and re-branding as AnyClip.com – TechCrunch50 Audience Award.
VP Product, Customer Development
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
October 2012 – October 2013 (1 year 1 month) Greater New York City Area
Responsible for product strategy and execution around alternative monetization for teen and youth-oriented digital brands aged 12-34 connecting consumption and commerce across desktop/mobile web, apps and games.
o 90 million monthly uniques
o 30 million social media followers o 6.5 billion lifetime video views
o 19 million YouTube subscribers
- Built and lead cross-functional product management team across multiple digital properties for web and mobile
- Executive producer and game designer for iOS mobile game, Super Head Esploder-X, charted to #7 Top Overall Paid in the Apple App Store
- Ideation through launch of custom gamification/loyalty rewards platform to enhance engagement, retention and monetization of audience across desktop/mobile web
- Social growth of Smosh -.YouTube (+180%, #1 most subscribed channel, 12+ million), Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr
Consultant at bit.ly
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Software industry
December 2009 – August 2010 (9 months) Greater New York City Area
Lead the go-to-market business development and sales process for bit.ly Pro and bit.ly Enterprise, free and premium versions of branded URL shortening service for publishers, brands, ecommerce properties, celebrities and bloggers, tracking over 7 billion user interactions a month.
- Created a social engagement funnel explaining how users move across “freemium” spectrum of services, from simple redirects to real-time tracking of influencers for brands across the social web.
- Implemented lead capture and import process for Salesforce, generating and organizing over 17K leads and 3K customers in 4 months, and 10K+ customers in 8 months.
- Enterprise customers included New York Times, Yahoo!, Amazon, Pepsi, FourSquare, Huffington Post, NPR, FedEx, Constant Contact, C-SPAN, USA Today, Diddy, TechCrunch, IMDB & Toys ‘R Us
Hedge Fund Associate
Trigram Capital Management, LP
June 2005 – April 2006 (11 months)
Hired to assist CEO and investment team in designing investment strategy and modeling fund financials for Asian multi-strategy equity hedge fund with $80M assets under management at launch. Co-managed marketing material production and fund documentation review. Reported to CEO.
MBA Candidate 2005
Educational Institution; 501-1000 employees; Higher Education industry
August 2003 – May 2005 (1 year 10 months)
Mitchell Fellowship Winner – Full Tuition
Banc of America Securities Summer Associate – Debt Markets Sales, Trading & Research
Public Company; 501-1000 employees; Entertainment industry
February 2000 – May 2003 (3 years 4 months)
Lead development team in designing all customer-facing applications, manage site content and publishing tools, and provide system administration and security. Analyzed website traffic and impact on traditional media assets. Drove high revenue traffic while minimizing cost by reengineering web properties and overseeing development and deployment of site community tools. Managed site security for internal and external internet security intrusions. Reported to CTO.
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; DLJ; Investment Banking industry
December 1995 – February 2000 (4 years 3 months)
Promoted from Senior Quantitative Programmer Analyst to become firm’s youngest VP in Fixed Income. Implemented and supported traders’ application improvement recommendations. Designed platform and language independent real-time distributed object model for bond analytics (Information Week, January 19, 1998). Directed Y2K readiness plan research and documentation for derivatives, portfolio, mortgages, and financial engineering groups. Co-managed $40M disaster recovery and business continuity budget. Reported to EVP.
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; chfc; Banking industry
May 1995 – September 1995 (5 months)
Gregory Battle's Skills & Expertise
- Financial Modeling
- Competitive Analysis
- Cross-functional Team Leadership
- Product Management
- Decision Modeling
- Statistical Finance
- Mobile Devices
- Mobile Applications
- Early-stage Startups
- Strategic Partnerships
- Digital Media
- Business Development
- Product Development
- Web Analytics
- Social Networking
- Enterprise Software
- Marketing Strategy
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Business Planning
- Social Media Marketing
- Digital Strategy
- Go-to-market Strategy
- Social Media
- Digital Marketing
- Strategic Planning
- Mobile Marketing
- Product Marketing
Gregory Battle's Education
Gregory Battle's Additional Information
investing, guitar, music production, reading, cooking comfort food
- Groups and Associations:
New York Opportunity Network
Contact Gregory for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch