Game Developer/Biz Dev Guy at Other Ocean Interactive
- Oakland, California (San Francisco Bay Area)
- Computer Games
Frank Cifaldi's Overview
- Designer at Other Ocean Interactive
- Freelance Writer & Journalist at (self-employed)
- News Director, Gamasutra at UBM TechWeb
- Senior Editor at 1UP.com
- Editorial & Community Manager at Turner Broadcasting
- Features Editor at Gamasutra
- Administrative Assistant at Mojave Mental Health
Frank Cifaldi's Summary
Writer, journalist, social media guy, project leader and community manager specializing in video game history and development culture. Currently doing biz-dev for a team of veteran game developers.
Specialties: Variety of writing styles, deep knowledge of games and interactive media, creative leadership, web layout and design, product evaluation, marketing consultant, games PR, community management and relationship building, project management.
Frank Cifaldi's Experience
Other Ocean Interactive
May 2013 – Present (1 year 5 months) Emeryville, CA
- Facilitate new business opportunities for this team of veteran game developers, both in-house and with external partners.
- Contribute writing, design, and social media strategies for games across several platforms.
- Present concepts, in-development projects and other opportunities to potential clients and partners.
- Work with outside contributors to flesh out game concepts, with an emphasis on keeping projects manageable to make and fun to play.
Freelance Writer & Journalist
August 2003 – Present (11 years 2 months)
Generate features, interviews, and criticism around and related to the video game industry, with a particular emphasis on history. Was a features and blog author for 1UP.com, regular features writer for GamesTM magazine, U.S. news correspondent for UK site GamesIndustry.biz and occasional contributor to Gamasutra. Two of these publications hired me full-time based on my freelance contributions.
Have also done writing for Nintendo Official Magazine UK, Wired, Tips 'N Tricks, Edge, and some others that I've probably forgotten.
News Director, Gamasutra
Public Company; 201-500 employees; UBM.L; Marketing and Advertising industry
December 2011 – May 2013 (1 year 6 months) San Francisco, CA
- Scheduled and managed the day-to-day publication of content including traditional news, industry analysis, event coverage, opinion pieces, and feature articles.
- Managed one full-time and two part-time staff writers, as well as several outside contributors.
- Established article guidelines and principles in the form of a reference document.
- Worked with our sales, marketing and events teams to synchronize our efforts and to cross-promote each others’ content intelligently and without losing our “voice.”
- Championed crowdsourced community content by creating a unique system to promote user-generated blog posts. Worked with technology team for scoping and implementation.
- Personally authored several hit articles, including one that eclipsed 200,000 page views and one that was referenced by USA Today.
- Created Photoshop design mock-ups for changes and tweaks to website’s presentation.
Online Media industry
March 2010 – April 2011 (1 year 2 months)
Managed and edited all daily news and feature content on this well-known consumer-facing video game website. Increased article traffic 57% year-on-year in 2011 despite halved budget, reduced head count, and overall decline in website traffic, using zero marketing spend. Managed one full-time producer, upwards of six news reporters, and several contract authors. Laid out and published feature articles using open HTML standards on a proprietary CMS. Created article spot art, designed "HUB" pages for collated content, and worked directly with a contracted social networking wizard to increase presence on Digg and Reddit.
Editorial & Community Manager
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; TWX; Broadcast Media industry
April 2007 – March 2009 (2 years)
Established and maintained the "voice" of the GameTap games-on-demand player. Managed, edited, and/or wrote descriptions, instructions and promotional assets for catalog of 1,000+ video games. Managed web forums and social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, and our corporate blog. Managed one full-time employee and several contractors. Produced promotional stunts, marketing initiatives, and community events and tournaments. Wrote detailed evaluations of potential partners and their games, including original games to be published on the GameTap platform. As internal PR, served as point of contact for media and sent review code.
November 2005 – April 2007 (1 year 6 months)
Features Editor of this very highly regarded and award-winning video game industry website. Commissioned, edited, and published daily long-form feature articles. Also acted as columnist, reporter, and product representative. Contributed to other CMP game group products, including Game Developer magazine and Game Developers Conference.
Frank Cifaldi's Skills & Expertise
- Video Games
- Social Media
- Content Strategy
- Project Management
- Social Networking
- Public Relations
- Feature Articles
- Digital Media
- Web Design
View Frank Cifaldi’s full profile to...
- See who you and Frank Cifaldi know in common
- Get introduced to Frank Cifaldi
- Contact Frank Cifaldi directly