Director of Dietetic Internship Program
Director of Dietetic Internship Program at Queens College
|Recommendations||3 people have recommended Fern Gale|
Join LinkedIn & access Fern Gale's full profile
Director of Dietetic Internship Program
A leader in her profession, public speaker and educator, Fern Gale Estrow, a Registered Dietitian, is a member of the faculty at Queens College of the City University of New York and founder of the FGE Food & Nutrition Team. She is the Director of the Dietetic Internship Program and Professor lecturing in the Department of Family, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences. She and her company consult to agencies, organizations, educational institutions and communities. Work includes but is not limited to providing policy and program assessment, development, training, implementation, management and evaluation. Areas of focus include child nutrition, obesity, breastfeeding, nutrition education and counseling, case/data management, anti-poverty/hunger initiatives, media literacy, menu planning, food service management and food systems.
The FGE Team seeks to improve health and quality of life, with access to healthy food and safe water for all. A systems/team approach is employeed, working on policy and program across the life cycle. The intersection of health, nutrition education, agriculture, healthy food access, conservation, poverty and hunger are brought together to identify problems and solutions.
Specialties:*Federal/State/NYC Food & Nutrition Content Expert on Head Start/Early Head Start, Child & Adult Care Food Program, WIC and Farmers Markets
*Infant and Child Nutrition Policy & Program Assessment, Design, Implementation and Evaluation
*Policy & program solutions to food access including but not limited to SNAP, TEFAP, Food Policy Councils/Networks and Hubs
*Intersection of Health and Agriculture Policy
*Impacts of Marketing and Media Literacy on Health
*Food Service Management
Higher Education in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics
• Content Expert for Head Start (HS), Early Head Start and Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) re nutrition and physical activity
• Organize & advisory in NYC & State, NE Region and nation on omni-bus legislation including, Child Nutrition, Farm Bill, Head Start Re-authorization, Older Americans Act, along with state & city reports,bills and regulations e.g FoodWorks
• Nutrition Policy development with 14 HS and child care programs over past decade.
• 20 site systems design for nutrition component of on HS agency
• New York State WIC training design and implementation to address Low-Fat Milk Transition with staff, while reinforcing behaviorally focused, participant based Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment
• Evaluation of grantees of Community Food and Nutrition Program, Office of Community Services, Department of Health and Human Services, with emphasis on childhood and youth obesity, through grant to the American Dietetic Association Foundation.
• Network Coordinator for pilot project of focusing on the intersection between public health and agriculture policy with the objective of collaboration on future policy related issues such as child nutrition related policy initiatives.
• Implementation of a dual strategy program to prevent obesity in prenatal and post-partum women and their children. The intervention strategies : 1) to provide early and frequent encouragement and support to women around breastfeeding; and 2) to reinforce healthy implementation of a program to prevent obesity in prenatal and post-partum women and their eating messages
• Nutrition curriculum development fo family provider based childcare programs utilizing the CACFP component for licensed and unlicensed providers programs, along with implementation and maintenance
• Assessment and implementation addressing food access and nutrition education of older adults
• Location ID and support WIC/Senior Farmer’s Markets in East Harlem and Hunt’s Point
Worked with patients addressing conditions related to diabetes, thyroid,,obesity, general nutrition
Oversight of all food service operations at landmark concert venue in New York City, inclusive of restaurant, bars and catering operation.
Responsible for national food operations of international financial institution.
Oversight of food operations for business and industry foodservice contractor at:
Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hayes and Handler - Law firm
Citibank - Investment Banking Division/Private Dining rooms
Newsweek - Magazine
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics -Dietetic Practice Groups - e.g.: o Healthy Aging o Hunger & Environmental Nutrition (Past Chair) o Nutrition & Dietetic Education Practitioners o Nutrition in Integrative & Functional Medicine o Vegetarian Nutrition o Weight Management o Women’s Health -Member Interest Groups - All e.g. o Latinos and Hispanics in Dietetics and Nutrition o Nat'l. Organization of Blacks in Dietetics & Nutrition Community Food Security Coalition (CFSC) Public Policy Comm Food Systems Network NYC ( FSNYC - formerly New York City Food Systems Network) - Chair (2004-2009), Leadership Comm (2009-2010), Advisory Comm (2011-present) New York City Nutrition Education Network (NYCNEN) Society for Nutrition Education (SNE) -Member, Advisory Committee on Public Policy, NANA Representative Marketing to Children Taskforce Advisory Committees: Kids Can Make a Difference, West Side Campaign Against Hunger, Food Systems Network NYC Board: Harvest Home Farmers Market
One of seven awardees identified preceptors who are exemplary educators and mentors.
Recognizing long standing commitment to public policy advocacy.
2011 Preceptor of the Year, Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, Excellence in Legislative Advocacy Award, New York State Dietetic Association
2005 Hunger and Malnutrition Award – Hunger and Environmental Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association
2004 Emerging Dietetic Leader– New York State Dietetic Association
2002 President’s Award of the Society for Nutrition Education
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Director of Food and Nutrition at Lawrence Nursing Care Center
Adjunct Instructor at Suffolk County Community College
Food Service Manager
Registered Dietitian at Gurwin Nursing & Rehabilitation
Clinical Dietitian at Hillside Manor Health Care Network
Registered Dietitian (Per Diem) at North Shore-LIJ Health System
Program Coordinator, Farm to Preschool at New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Account Representative at B&H Photo Video
Food Systems Practice and Policy