Retail Entrepreneur with E-commerce Expertise
- Portland, Oregon Area
- Apparel & Fashion
Ellen Hsu's Overview
- Boutique Owner at Vintalier
- Marylhurst University
- Portland Sewing
- University of California, San Diego
Project Management Institute (PMI)
11 people have recommended Ellen
Ellen Hsu's Summary
Grand Opening was a success! Thanks for all who stopped in. You're all so lovely & supportive. I feel so happy to be in this neighborhood! #pearldistrict #nwportland #portland #grandopening #vintage #shopping
Ellen Hsu's Experience
2011 – Present (2 years) Portland, OR
• Managing production of the brick-and-mortar retail store and concurrent advertising & promotions.
• Handling all functions including buying, accounting, sales, marketing, and merchandising.
• Managing inventory of over 500 items of vintage apparel, shoes, accessories, and home decor.
• Analyzing sales and inventory turnover to identify best-selling categories and profit margins.
• Preparing all accounting and financial planning statements including budgets, balance sheets, and P&L's.
• Managing social media marketing on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, WordPress, and MailChimp.
• Started a direct-to-consumer e-commerce vintage boutique at Vintalier.com and Etsy.
• Produced the Vintalier.com website including visual and usability design, content management, QA, and some custom coding.
• Blogged in 2009 to collect product and consumer trends on nearly a daily basis.
• Created personas and mood boards to understand consumer needs and target markets.
• Styled models for a multi-day photo shoots.
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; 0TC:6244; Renewables & Environment industry
2009 – 2010 (1 year) Tainan, Taiwan and Newark, Delaware
• Launched new products after a recent U.S. acquisition in parallel with product creation. After the launch, >$20M worth of product sold out for two consecutive quarters.
• Created presentations for the strategic and creative direction of advertising campaigns. Worked with an annual budget of ~$100K.
• Revamped the corporate website, helping 30 stakeholders across 4 different languages.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
2008 – 2008 (less than a year) Portland, OR
• Managed web production for a small business and Intel’s data management system.
• Wrote SOWs, estimated budgets and schedules, and recruited talent. Average budgets $50-60K.
Digital Communications Producer
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; NKE; Sporting Goods industry
2006 – 2008 (2 years) Beaverton, OR
• Served as interim Senior Digital Manager ensuring accuracy and timeliness of communications; facilitated progress and motivation during leadership and IT transitions and functional changes.
• Cleaned 48% of the intranet in obsolete sites and recouped an estimated $340K in annual costs.
• Began as Web Publisher managing 250+ internal clients and collaborated on an 8-person team.
Web Content Developer
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; INTC; Semiconductors industry
2005 – 2006 (1 year) Hillsboro, OR
• Contributed to the rollout of Intel 3.0 branding while launching product sites monthly.
• Initiated improvement of ticket handling and TeamSite process by analyzing hand-off times.
Senior Technical Writer
Educational Institution; 201-500 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
2004 – 2005 (1 year) La Jolla, CA
• Transitioned a 400-page, cross-departmental website to an upgraded server and reduced storage consumption by over 40%.
• Collaborated with systems engineers to write detailed technical documentation on the installation, use and optimization of high performance terascale computing technology.
• Developed an extensive user survey to define the mission and objectives of user services.
Virtual Reality Medical Center
2002 – 2004 (2 years)
• Successfully launched an e-commerce project from conception to completion including seller relations, photography, installation, and payment processing and shipping.
• Designed print and web advertising materials including brochures, cards, book photography, and two websites.
Ellen Hsu's Skills & Expertise
Ellen Hsu's Education
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Marketing
2011 – 2012
Grade: 3.7 GPA
Classes included: Marketing Communications, Market Research, Marketing Management, E-Business, Economics, Financial Methods, Quantitative Analysis, Organizational Behavior, Global Management, and Capstone Project (Strategic Plan).
Certificate, Apparel Entrepreneur
2011 – 2012
Classes included: Marketing and PR, Market research, Event Production, Merchandising, Costing, Sourcing, Apparel business plan, Boutiques & buyers, Hiring a sales rep, Contracting, Beginning Sewing, Patternmaking, Fashion Illustration, Textiles, Fashion Portfolio.
University of California, San Diego
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Interdisciplinary Computing & the Arts
1998 – 2002
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Ellen Hsu's Additional Information
Contact Ellen for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch